CRM 4 Data Migration Manager RRS feed

• Question

• I installed DMM on my customer's laptop and connected to the instance of SQL Server that holds the CRM databases. I ran the DMM configuration wizard, manually pointed the wizard to my SQL instance, and it returns an error ""Data Migration Manager encountered an error while setting up the temporary
    migration database."

The following errors are found in the log:

An error occurred during Offline Synchronization.  Try going offline again, or restart Microsoft Outlook. Insert failed for entity 'SavedQuery', batchRows=0 with exception System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Cannot bulk load because the file "C:\Documents and Settings\general manager\Application Data\Microsoft\MSCRM\BCP\{3B85975E-0C29-DE11-AA05-0019B9B5BE09}.bcp" could not be opened. Operating system error code 3(The system cannot find the path specified.).

The BCP file is there, and the logged in user does have access to it. I made sure Outlook was closed before I started the install and configuration.

Based on other posts, I tried deleting the UserReplicationID registry key and restarting DMM. I also tried deleting the migration database and re-running the configuration wizard. Neither of these steps worked.

Is this problem caused by the fact that the SQL Server is 64-bit? Is it true that DMM is not supported on 64-bit SQL Server OS?

Thanks.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 6:04 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The error from the log is related to the CRM for Outlook Client. 

I suggest that you install and configure the DMM using a local instance of SQL rather than connecting to the CRM database.  In order to do this you will need to delete the existing data migration database that was created when you installed the DMM. 

Be sure that you do not delete the wrong database.  You only want to get rid of the Data Migration database which will have a name like MSCRM_Migration.  Complete a full backup before making changes to SQL so that you can restore in the event that something unexpected happens.

Best Regards, Donna
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:22 PM
  • I have had success using the DMM in the way I described above with a 64 bit environment.  Run the DMM using a local instance of SQL rather than connecting directly to the CRM database.  It should work for you unless I have missed something.
    Best Regards, Donna
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 9:07 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The error from the log is related to the CRM for Outlook Client. 

I suggest that you install and configure the DMM using a local instance of SQL rather than connecting to the CRM database.  In order to do this you will need to delete the existing data migration database that was created when you installed the DMM. 

Be sure that you do not delete the wrong database.  You only want to get rid of the Data Migration database which will have a name like MSCRM_Migration.  Complete a full backup before making changes to SQL so that you can restore in the event that something unexpected happens.

Best Regards, Donna
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:22 PM
  • The fact that the SQL Server is 64-bit is not relevant to you installing DMM on a laptop.  What is relevant is that a 64-bit version of DMM is not available. So it is the OS of the laptop that you need to consider.

Have you reviewed the Readme at this location: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=a3504ff1-f2e8-423b-8cd8-aa712cea02f1

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 8:22 PM
  • I have had success using the DMM in the way I described above with a 64 bit environment.  Run the DMM using a local instance of SQL rather than connecting directly to the CRM database.  It should work for you unless I have missed something.
    Best Regards, Donna
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 9:07 PM