Money 2005 RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have hade the unfortunate event of a system crash. I do not have any core files backed up as I was only made aware yesterday that the money regime had ended by looking to see why my back up money file did not work. As I understand this is due to the servers going down at the end of Jan 2011 which my new install requires an update. I did not keep any back up mnycorefiles as I didn’t think I needed to other that the instructed money file. I find it disgusting that Microsoft can leave us in the lurch by this and ask what can be done other than obtain a patch file from someone who was aware of the need to keep one. I would imagine this may break some rules but couldn’t care less, Microsoft don’t.

Any help would be appreciated as I have been using money since 1998 and upgraded to money 2005 financial suite which I believe to be the last one. My bussiness depends on this. Regards, Brian

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 8:56 AM

All replies

• Unfortunately the phrase "system crash" covers quite a few possibilities, so can you give me an idea of what type of failure occurred.

Can you sill read the existing disk ? If so, did you re-install your system again to that disk ? that kind of thing.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 9:35 AM
  • Which version of Money 2005 do you have?

There are English Language Money 2005 versions for:

All these need an update to 14.x.x.1105. This updates the MnyCoreFiles.

Unless someone with a working updated copy hosts a download of the updated MnyCoreFiles, the update is no longer available.

It is not known whether the updated files are common to all the regional versions or separate updates are required for the regional versions.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 9:53 AM
  • Hi Ashley, I completely formatted the drive and a new install of windows XP professional has been done. I did previously back up the whole hard drive back in May 2010, don’t suppose this would be any good though as the money corefile would include an old update. Didn’t expect I would have needed do this again but would have done so if made aware of money servers going down.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 9:55 AM
  • You say you backed up the whole drive in May 2010. At that time what version of Money was installed ?

If it was Money 2005 with patch 1105 already applied then you could recover the MNYCoreFiles folder from there.

What software was used to take the backup, Acronis, Paragon or perhaps Windows Backup ?

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 10:08 AM
  • Can you advise how I would find this out? I did do a search of mnycorefiles but did not find any. There was no specific back up software so I just copied and paste the files on to an external drive.
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 10:20 AM
  • Oh, I assumed you did a full disk image using one of the named software products.

However, did you backup a folder called "Program Files" (without the double quotes) ?

If so, the Money product will have been installed into a sub-folder of that and it will be called Microsoft Money 2005.

When using Windows Explorer to locate the folder you should ensure that you have the option to Show hidden files set ON, ie selected.

That option can be found under Tools -> Folder Options -> View and in the Advanced Settings list the eigth option is "Hide files and folders" with a radio button option for which one you wish to select.  

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 10:30 AM
  • Ps ...

In the Windows Explorer settings I gave before, you also need to ensure the "Display the contents of System Folders" selected.

This is the fourth setting in the Advanced Settings list.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 10:32 AM
  • Hi Dominic,

I have only 14.0.120.730, I have spoken to microsoft this morning and they said that the uk money file will not imort to the us version of sunset. So I think I am lost unless I can obtain a version of the new update.

Regards, brian

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 10:38 AM
  • Hi Ashley, found the sub folder but no mnycorefiles folder, I can only see close to resemblance the mnyupdate  text document & mnyupdate bak file
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 10:53 AM
  • Sorry for the delay in replying, I had to go out.

A fully installed Money 2005 should have a Microsoft Money 2005 folder under Program Files. Within the Microsoft Money 2005 folder there should be two further sub-folders, Common and MNYCoreFiles. Common appears to be empty but MNYCoreFiles should have approx 137 files and some further sub-folders such as Calcs, Invoice etc.

Did your "Copy and Paste" backup actually backup the complete Money 2005 subfolder structure ?   

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 12:25 PM
  • I just copied the folder & looks like it was without the show hidden files box being ticked before doing so. So it looks like I am well & truely shafted unless I can get hold of a slipstream disc.
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 2:06 PM
  • Look like its going to be as per my reply to Dominic, the only option is to try & get a slipstream cd from somewhere out there.
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 2:09 PM
  • After two days of stress I Have cracked it everybody so thanks for all your help. I had a tip from another forum on my mobile phone and read it while I was out doing the duty of shopping.

I originally could not see the MNYCoreFiles folder in the Microsoft Money 2005 folder under Programme Files in my C drive. This was of course a new install so I right clicked the Microsoft Money shortcut icon in the Microsoft Money folder as above and clicked on properties and clicked on find target, yippee, found the MNYCoreFiles folder. I copied the Money cd on to my desktop and using the above I found a previous back up of the Money programme folder, found the target and copied and paste the entire MNYCoreFiles folder (which I previously couldn’t see) into the money folder on the desktop. I removed the Money 2005 installation from my machine and re installed using the desktop copy. I opened the sample file and found it was the version 1105 which was needed. I then managed to restore my back up.

FANTASTIC.

You may find this article useful to help with above, http://www.money.mvps.org/faq/article/630.aspx

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 3:28 PM
  • I'm desperate!!!

I have exactly the same problem but I don't have a backup of the old money files, only the original (not upgraded) CD.

Is there any way you can let me have a copy of the upgraded files.

All my info is in my .mny file and I can't open it.

I'd really appreciate the help.

Nigel

Friday, July 22, 2011 6:46 PM
  • For anyone who's interested, I managed to find a copy of the updated 1105 UK files here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9MZ91B87

I followed the instructions in this article:

http://www.money.mvps.org/faq/article/630.aspx

This seems to have fixed the problem. I can at least open my .mny file to get the data.

This info is provided as-is with no warranties. I have no idea if patching the Money installation by hand has other, unwanted side-effects so please, backup all your files first.
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 8:25 AM