Grouping Contacts RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I am looking at implementing CRM for a client. Just need basic contact management right now. Advanced features will be utilized later.
    I can not find an easy way to Group or Categorize Contacts. For example, the client gives classes, so there should be 50 classes (or groups) set up, then the contacts will be added to these classes. The contact may be in more than one class. Need to be able to view a class quickly without going through an advanced search.

I also need to be able to flag each contact for an email newsletter or holiday card, etc.

Are these features built in? If not, can they be customized and how difficult would that be?

Thanks!

Dennis
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 12:19 AM

Answers

•  

Hi Dennis

There is no "out of the box" functionality that will do this, however I think an easy way to do it would be the following:

First up create a new field (picklist) with the classes values in it for the contact record, publish this.

Then create the advanced finds as saved views for the users and then share them to the organisation so all users will have them in their my views dropdown in the left hand corner.

It will be a couple of hours work for yourself but will be no hassle for your client and will give them exactly what they want!

with regards to the newsletter stuff, you have two way of doing it

1. adding the users to a marketing list and then running a mail merge onthose users (manual updating of list is essential to maintain data integrity)

or what I have done in the past for clients is create a couple of bit fields (yes or no) for each category on the contact form, ie newsletter yes or no, so that your client fill this in when they get a new contact, they then can run an advanced find to find all those who say yes and run a mail merge on that...  

hope that helps

Allan

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 10:44 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Dennis

There is no "out of the box" functionality that will do this, however I think an easy way to do it would be the following:

First up create a new field (picklist) with the classes values in it for the contact record, publish this.

Then create the advanced finds as saved views for the users and then share them to the organisation so all users will have them in their my views dropdown in the left hand corner.

It will be a couple of hours work for yourself but will be no hassle for your client and will give them exactly what they want!

with regards to the newsletter stuff, you have two way of doing it

1. adding the users to a marketing list and then running a mail merge onthose users (manual updating of list is essential to maintain data integrity)

or what I have done in the past for clients is create a couple of bit fields (yes or no) for each category on the contact form, ie newsletter yes or no, so that your client fill this in when they get a new contact, they then can run an advanced find to find all those who say yes and run a mail merge on that...  

hope that helps

Allan

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 10:44 AM
  • Hi Allan,

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for your help.

Dennis
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 4:53 AM