Activation Problems with 120 Day Evaluation RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed WHS 120 day evaluation program. Everything seems to work fine. I connected three computers over my network and connection to internet is also functioning. I have no luck so far activating the product. Here is what I tried so far:
    Activation over the internet from the server, activation over the internet from the Windows Home Server Console: Connection is there but I get the message "Online Activation cannot be completed at this time". I tried for the last two days without success. I called the mentioned number and ran through the automated system reading all numbers. System mentioned that the numbers are not recognized and forwards me automatically to customer / technical service. The first time I had a rep on the phone that I could barely understand. After me asking to repeat what she was saying, she yelled at me and hung up. I made another attempt to call in had to go through the computer activation again without success and was connected to another rep. She gave me a sequence of numbers. Again we both did not understand each other clearly but she fnished the input process .When I punched all numbers in, system mentioned that something was wrong with the numbers. The rep connected me to another customer service department who was not able to help but they connected me to the WHS department or at least tried. Nobody picked up and I gave up after 15 minutes of waiting.
    I tried online activation today again without success. I would like to evaluate the product but I do not know how to activate. I also want to make sure that I can clean up my data if I decide not to go for the system.
    Sunday, August 31, 2008 3:57 PM

Answers

• Please visit the Connect web site. You can obtain a new product key for Windows Home Server there. If you haven't done so already, you will need to register, and join the WHS "beta" program.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 6:21 PM

All replies

•  mgrigat wrote:
    I just installed WHS 120 day evaluation program. Everything seems to work fine. I connected three computers over my network and connection to internet is also functioning. I have no luck so far activating the product. Here is what I tried so far:
    Activation over the internet from the server, activation over the internet from the Windows Home Server Console: Connection is there but I get the message "Online Activation cannot be completed at this time". I tried for the last two days without success. I called the mentioned number and ran through the automated system reading all numbers. System mentioned that the numbers are not recognized and forwards me automatically to customer / technical service. The first time I had a rep on the phone that I could barely understand. After me asking to repeat what she was saying, she yelled at me and hung up. I made another attempt to call in had to go through the computer activation again without success and was connected to another rep. She gave me a sequence of numbers. Again we both did not understand each other clearly but she fnished the input process .When I punched all numbers in, system mentioned that something was wrong with the numbers. The rep connected me to another customer service department who was not able to help but they connected me to the WHS department or at least tried. Nobody picked up and I gave up after 15 minutes of waiting.
    I tried online activation today again without success. I would like to evaluate the product but I do not know how to activate. I also want to make sure that I can clean up my data if I decide not to go for the system.

Activating through the internet and over the phone are your only options.  If you can't activate online, perhaps MS's activation server is down at the moment.  You might try again activating through the internet on Tuesday (Monday is a holiday here in the US).  You have 30 days to activate the trial so you should be ok for now.  (You could also try the phone number again.)

As for getting your data off the server, yes you can do that.  WHS uses the NTFS file system.  The files are stored in hidden folders on each drive called DE.  You can just copy the data from there.

Sunday, August 31, 2008 4:04 PM
  • Could it be that the 120 day evaluation version does not allow regular activation?
    I kept on trying to activate over the internet (no connection problems) without any luck. I always get the same answer back "Online activation cannot be completed at this time......" Message number 45123."
    I do not have the nerves and time at the moment to try again the experience of horrible customer service activation by telephone.

Thursday, September 4, 2008 1:07 AM
  • The evaluation version allows (requires) activation just like any other version of a Microsoft OS. Unfortunately, if you can't activate online, that leaves only phone activation.
    Thursday, September 4, 2008 1:38 AM
  •  I also am having an activation issue with my 120 day trial. Feb.17/2009 setup my server and activated with no problems,running fine. The problem started Feb 27 with a network port forwarding issue. Tried a few things but then read about doing a server reinstall (not a new install). So I tried it and was surprised to find I needed to reactivate so I entered the Key and was told it could only be used once. I only changed one thing by adding a 1TB SATA drive since the first activation. Now it says I have 6 days to activate, hummm  Feb17-Mar.2, man not even 30 days. I phoned in and spoke to India??? twice (can't understand bad accents)  they said after the 2nd time they would have to transfer me to someone who could autherize a new key # as she could not because it was a 120 day trial .After being on hold for 3 min I was diconnected, what a wast of time. What is going to happen after 6 days.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 3:31 AM
  • Please visit the Connect web site. You can obtain a new product key for Windows Home Server there. If you haven't done so already, you will need to register, and join the WHS "beta" program.
    Tuesday, March 3, 2009 6:21 PM
  • Thanks Ken and Lara

Made my day as I was getting desperate.
    Wednesday, March 4, 2009 3:12 AM
  • Ken, could you elaborate a bit more how to get a new product key and if it's absolutely necessary to activate once a user purchases a copy?

Not sure if the instruction you posted almost a year ago was already expired while I'm running into the same Evaluation -> OEM activiation issue. After trying the evaluation copy for a couple days, I purchased a copy from Amazon.com and used the key to activate. What I received was a warning message complaining invalid key from the WHS copy I purchased. The evaluation copy I downloaded from Microsoft should be rather updated (downloaded 2 weeks ago) and within 5 days I used the key in the copy I purchased to activate, but to no avail... Any suggestion would be appreciated.
    Monday, February 8, 2010 7:45 PM
  • Please see this FAQ regarding upgrading from the trial to a full copy of the product.
    Monday, February 8, 2010 8:58 PM