OCS integration with Nortel CS1000 RRS feed

• Question

• I was just on the nortel website. They have a "converged Office for Communication Server 1000" product that is used to tie a cs1000 to LCS 2005. Does anyone know if this is required for 2007 or does the mediation server take care of this?

Cheers

Monday, May 28, 2007 6:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• I heard that ocs 2007 doesn't support CS1000(R 4.5). 5.0 will support OCS 2007
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 6:38 AM
  • Do you know where I can find a list of all compliant phones?
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 9:30 AM
  •  

The list of supported partners/hardware will be constantly changing and expanding. For now check out:

http://www.microsoft.com/uc/pdgtrials/default.mspx

Also, check the Microsoft press page for Unified Communications:

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/presskits/uc/partners.mspx

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 10:06 PM
  • The actual answer to this is no, you need to purchase a media gateway device to go between the OCS front end and the SIP server. The mediation server software will be built into the media gateways as a firmware upgrade is what I have been told. The "strategic gateway partners" are the suppliers for this device.

Cheers

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 7:52 PM
  • HI,

We have this running and its easy.

OCS integration into Nortel's CS1000 has prerequisites. Nortel's CS1000 5.0 release and upwards is supported when connecting to OCS.

Some pointers: For OCS to conenct to any PBX, you need the mediation gateway.
    From the Nortel side, as they did on LCS, you will have to install the nortel converged office application on an application proxy, so in this case the OCS application proxy. The OCS application proxy relays the messages to the Nortel PBX. This means that you can connect directly without any gateway in between.

Actually the converged office is Nortel's specific gateway to conenct to the CS1000.  

Regards

• Proposed as answer by AneshR Tuesday, June 2, 2009 8:03 AM
    Saturday, January 26, 2008 2:59 PM

• Did I understand correctly :
     OCS <==> OCS proxy w. MCM <==> PBX  (CS1000 5.0)
    and forget OCS mediation server role ?

I've understood (or not) from various documents that this connection would work :
    OCS <==> OCS mediation (role) server  <==> PBX (CS1000 5.0)

Not exactly sure what it needs on PBX side or does the CS1000 support SIP natively ?
    Friday, March 28, 2008 12:47 PM
  •  

If you have CS1000 5.0, you can use the PBX with SIP Trunking directly. You will need to have the SIP Trunks added setup. However for 4.5 and below you will need a gateway  (we will be using an Audiocodes gateway for our Pilot).
    Friday, March 28, 2008 1:28 PM
  • Hi,

As far as I understand it now:

signaling:

OCS <==> OCS mediation (role) server  <==> OCS role proxy MCM <==> PBX (NRS/SRS)

Speechpath

OCS <==> OCS mediation (role) server  <==> PBX (CS1000 5.0 )

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 8:46 AM
  •  
    Hi,

we have a particular problem with OCS 2007,CS1000E 5.5 and MOC.
    If I call from PSTN to OCS client, I have a conditions of one way speech, that is I don't have audio from OCS client to PSTN, because OCS send me mu-law codec but I configure it in a-law and my CS1000E must to be configured in a-law and I don't change it.

I already installed all necessary patch that I readed on the nortel official instruction.

How can I resolved my problem?

Regards

Thank you
    Friday, February 13, 2009 12:16 PM
  • Hi,

How we have this running is as OCS -> mediations server -> proxy with MCM -> SPS/NRS. The mediation server is still needed as this takes care of the RTaudio translation. You can build a SIP trunck to the Exchange 2007 server for UM but not to OCS.
    So you cannot directly build a SIP trunck to OCS to Nortel. This is not supported and does not work this way.  

@zambobumba - OCS supports both u-law and a-law. The negotiation and translation of this is done and arranged within the CS1K from nortel in the communication block.
    We have customers who have this in production with users all over the world and the CS1K arranges for the u-law/a-law codec.

Regards
    Anesh
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 1:12 PM
  • Hi Avon,

The converged Office application IS still needed for OCS2007 in combination with the mediatin server from Microsoft. No external "strategic gateway partners" needed. see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/bb735838.aspx and it shows the Multimedia Communications Manager 3.0.1.77 on where it was tested.

Regards
    Anesh
    Anesh
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 1:25 PM
  • Hi,

I just checked the MS site it says Direct SIP via IP-PBX (Nortel CS1000 Rel 5.5) is supported.

Monday, May 25, 2009 11:10 AM
  • Hi,

I just checked the MS site it says Direct SIP via IP-PBX (Nortel CS1000 Rel 5.5) is supported.

Monday, May 25, 2009 11:11 AM
  • Nortel does support Direct SIP as of Oct. 08  ...Ref Nortel bulletin...2008009118, Rev 2
    Friday, May 29, 2009 3:07 PM
  • so is ocs reliable? we're a bank and we have a setup that includes a nortel cs1000 running R4.0 or 4.5, and some BCM's so we'd either have to get a gateway or upgrade to the newer software.

i love the idea that this would make it so the hardware and the handsets don't matter much. we've got different styles of handsets at our branches that have bcm's and i guess if we get ocs, we can just buy sip phones that connect to ocs directly rather than upgrading to the nortel phones that can connect to the cs1000?
    Friday, June 19, 2009 9:57 PM
  • OCS is definately reliable. The question on whether to upgrade or not depends on what and how you are using your current pbx system. Also depends on when you are planning to write off that asset due to end of life, etc. It maybe easier to simply upgrade and from my experience this is easy and quick.
    The idea of simply getting sip phones and connecting directly is great. Have a look at the hardware supported devices: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ocs/bb970310.aspx

Anesh
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 11:04 AM
  • There are a few ways:

1) Dual-forked clients / RCC  -
        PBX => SIG/NRS => MCM / PROXY => Mediation Server => OCS FE

2) No RCC, "Direct-SIP" from Nortel (not really , but almost direct)
       PBX => Dedicated SIG SRV => Mediation server => OCS FE

We have the 2nd scenario - but still working out a few bugs.
     (use DSC's rather than TSLV'd attached to your MARP)

Cheers

Steve Hahn
    Friday, August 7, 2009 6:29 PM