A Maximum of 10 computers have already been added. RRS feed

• Question

• I have only added 9 computers so far.  On the tenth computer I attempt to add, I get the error "A maximum of 10 computer have already been added."  How do I fix this problem?
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 2:10 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    there is an unsupported method, what you could check.
    Login locally or via Remote Desktop to your server.
    Open the registry editor and navigate to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Transport\Clients.
    Check the sub keys here, if there is one, which refers to an outdated system (this could also be a machine with dual boot and WHS Connector installed on both OSes, which probably would also count as two PCs).
    Export that key (so that you can import it again, if you made a mistake), and then delete it.
    Try to add the new client again (eventually reboot the server before trying so).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by davestech Tuesday, September 15, 2009 10:38 PM
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 7:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    there is an unsupported method, what you could check.
    Login locally or via Remote Desktop to your server.
    Open the registry editor and navigate to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Transport\Clients.
    Check the sub keys here, if there is one, which refers to an outdated system (this could also be a machine with dual boot and WHS Connector installed on both OSes, which probably would also count as two PCs).
    Export that key (so that you can import it again, if you made a mistake), and then delete it.
    Try to add the new client again (eventually reboot the server before trying so).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by davestech Tuesday, September 15, 2009 10:38 PM
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 7:31 PM
  • That fixed it.  There was an extra entry that was represented by a guid but only had a few sub keys and they did not refer to any existing machine.  I deleted that guid and sub keys, rebooted, and was able to add the tenth computer.  Thanks!
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 10:38 PM