Has Microsoft turned off the server that provided the SP2 update for Money-7 version 16.0.150.1303? RRS feed

• Question

• On August 27, I installed Money 7 Business/Home on my brand new laptop running Win7/64 without a hitch and, when I started the program, it initiated a software update and downloaded an SP2 for Money that came out ages ago. This all worked fine, and I opened my data file and began working away.

On September 1, due to some faulty advice from another vendor, it became necessary to wipe the drive in my new laptop and start over. 

But the Money patch will no longer download.

money_update.gif

For over a week now, I have tried this on three different machines, one with XP, one with Win7/32 and the new laptop with Win7/64, and all with the same result; none of the three machines had firewall/AV or security software. So I think Microsoft turned off the server that provides this update on August 31, perhaps because they think no one needs it with the release of the Sunset Edition.

I know all about Microsoft's discontinuation of the Money line and the Sunset edition. None of that is relevant to my question.

Really, all I want to know is whether the downloads that bring Money-7 up to version 16.0.150.1303 have been turned off forever.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 10:23 PM

All replies

• Sounds like you are answering your own question.

Nothing has been reported here or elsewhere that confirms or contradicts what you report.

For several years now as bits and bobs of the infrastructure at MS that supports Money have failed or broken or come due for retirement, these capabilities have been allowed to die. This may well be a similar case.

Thursday, September 9, 2010 3:27 AM
  • People that bought the product ought to be able to still use it, albeit without new updates. I can't beleive MS would simply turn off the server that provides the activation or whatever it is that is missing.

There has to be a logical answer\solution for this issue other than suggesting MS is simply washing their hands of it.

Darryl Gittins
    Monday, September 13, 2010 8:54 PM
  • There has to be a logical answer\solution for this issue

Perhaps someone will post it then. We'll see...
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 1:38 AM