PW Issue accessing MSMoney Backup Files RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've recently had a need to go back into my MSMoney Archives. I found the Sunset version that MSFT appears to have created for this kind of purpose (thank you MSFT!). I installed the App and tried to open the file. It prompts me for my Windows Live ID and PW to open the file. I supply them my current ID and PW, but still get an error saying that's the incorrect ID or PW. I even tried changing/updating my Live PW, but still an error. Any idea how to address this?

Rogers

Wednesday, October 17, 2018 5:46 PM

Answers

• Thanks. So you're saying I have to remember what my LiveID PW was back when I last accessed this file?? If so, I'm screwed as that was 15 years ago.

I suggest you write down each email address you might have used. Think of permutations. Keep paper and pencil by your bed in case you think of something to try. Think of all of the places that you may have written down your credentials. Even the passwords for other applications may be useful, since many people will use similar passwords for different applications. The password portion of the credentials is case-sensitive.

If you know something about the password, that could be useful. Suppose you knew that the password was RodgersW0000 through RodgersW9999. There is a program that can try all 10000 possibilities for you. But if you remember nothing about your credentials, you are not going to get in.

Now if your file predates 2003, there is a possibility. Security used to be less. I forget exactly what version introduced the stronger passwording. However back then, there was no email address involved. So if your credentials involve an email address, no cracker available.

A file named 2002Archive.mny would probably not have been from Money 2000 anyway. That would be a file that was saved in the process of removing all of the pre 2002 transitions. Look at the date of the file, and that can be informative.

Thursday, October 18, 2018 11:39 PM

All replies

• The servers that validated the Live ID password for the Money program no longer exist.  You need to remove the Live ID password using the password that was in effect when you last opened the Money.mny file.  Here is Cal Lerner's standard advice about removing the LiveID:

Disconnect from the Internet. Pull your ethernet cable or turn off

your modem -- whatever it takes.

Start Money, click below the

password field to select "I want to sign in to Money directly,

without access to all online services." then click Next.

If you get into your file,

remove your LiveID. Do not attempt to change your LiveID. If you

already changed your LiveID, use the credentials that were in

effect at the time that you saved that Money file.

To remove the

Live ID, go to File-PasswordManager, and choose to remove your

LiveID. To remove or add a conventional password, also see

File->PasswordManager.

The password is case-sensitive. If you are not sure of your

credentials, write down what you remember. Consider permutations.

Check your notes. You will not get into the file without those

credentials in effect when the file was saved

Bill Becker

Wednesday, October 17, 2018 8:47 PM
  • Thanks. So you're saying I have to remember what my LiveID PW was back when I last accessed this file?? If so, I'm screwed as that was 15 years ago.
    Thursday, October 18, 2018 10:05 PM

I suggest you write down each email address you might have used. Think of permutations. Keep paper and pencil by your bed in case you think of something to try. Think of all of the places that you may have written down your credentials. Even the passwords for other applications may be useful, since many people will use similar passwords for different applications. The password portion of the credentials is case-sensitive.

If you know something about the password, that could be useful. Suppose you knew that the password was RodgersW0000 through RodgersW9999. There is a program that can try all 10000 possibilities for you. But if you remember nothing about your credentials, you are not going to get in.

Now if your file predates 2003, there is a possibility. Security used to be less. I forget exactly what version introduced the stronger passwording. However back then, there was no email address involved. So if your credentials involve an email address, no cracker available.

A file named 2002Archive.mny would probably not have been from Money 2000 anyway. That would be a file that was saved in the process of removing all of the pre 2002 transitions. Look at the date of the file, and that can be informative.

Thursday, October 18, 2018 11:39 PM
  • Miraculously, I guessed the PW. But I have several other years worth of archived files that I'll have to get just as lucky with. It's really a shame that MSFT could not keep those servers running since I assume they would just check the latest PW (my LiveID has not changed through the years) and then permit access. Thanks for your help though.
    Friday, October 19, 2018 4:02 AM
  • I am very glad you got in. Maybe you used the same password on other files. You can remove the password in Money Plus, or you could replace a LiveID (includes an email address) with a conventional password.

You might want to considering not archiving in the future. For most users, it does not do what they wish it did. So for them, the advice is don't do it. Those who are looking to make the file appreciably smaller are usually disappointed.

Archive makes a copy of the file being archived, and gives it a name with Archive added.  You provide a date to Money when you archive.  Money asks which non-investment accounts you want the older transaction removed from.  Then Money removes non-investment transactions from those accounts that had earlier dates.  It adjusts the account Opening Balance to compensate for the removed transactions.

There is no way to fully re-integrate the older transactions with the newer ones. There is an incomplete way that takes some effort. For most, the best thing is to generate reports that cover the date range of interest, but to  keep all of the data present.

Friday, October 19, 2018 2:23 PM