How do I automatically back up the server? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've installed a second drive into my Acer Aspire EasyStore H340 running Windows Home Server.

When I launch the console client, in the "Computers and Backup" section it lists all the computers set to back up to the home server, as well as the home server itself. When I right-click on the home server and choose "Backup now" it lets me back up the file shares on the home server.

I'd like to set up an automated process to back up the server shares every night, just like the various workstations automatically get backed up to the server every night.

Can anyone tell me how to configure the system to back up automatically?
    Friday, November 27, 2009 7:47 PM

All replies

• There is no automation available for the server backup functionality. It's intended to be used manually, on an "as needed" basis.

It is, however, fairly easy to create an automated backup strategy using a third party tool such as robocopy (which is the tool I use). While unsupported in the sense that Microsoft doesn't "support" desktop access to the server, any tool which simply copies files should be able to back up the shares.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, November 27, 2009 7:52 PM