Salvage on SAMPLE RRS feed

• Question

• I have run salv.exe (version 1.0.0.1) on SAMPLE.MNY (created 4 Aug 1999) & on my own data files [Money 2000 IntEng]

Level 1 produced this report "No broken records in the original file." in both cases.

Level 2 produced this report "Warning: broken records in BGT_ITM table." in both cases.

Can anyone with a long memory recall seeing a Level 2 report  like this ?

Thursday, June 4, 2015 7:39 AM

All replies

• I am surprised that sample.mny gave that. Is there a problem with your file other than the broken records warning?

When you use salv.exe, it puts the repaired version into a file with a different name. If you run salv on the repaired file, outputting to a third name, do you get the same warning?

You can usually use a newer version of  salv.exe on an older file. Looking at the binary strings, I see the version that comes with Sunset appears to be copyright 2004.

Surprisingly, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902466/en-us still works. The reference to the latest sample in "Method 2" is obsolete, but you could use salv.exe from sunset or 2005. I would not install those onto the same computer that you have Money 2000 on. That could mess things up. But you could use a different computer as a way to get a newer version of salv.exe.

But actually I would try that stand-alone.

Thursday, June 4, 2015 2:54 PM
  • Thanks Cal.

There are no problems with my data files.

When I run (my antique version of) salv on the repaired file the second log report is the same as the first (broken records in BGT_ITM table).

I'll try a newer version of salv.exe when I get hold of one ~ till then I suspect the log report produced by 1.0.0.1 is a false positive, and nothing to worry about.

Teabag 

Saturday, June 6, 2015 3:02 PM
  • Further to my last, salv.exe (version 15.0.0.513) from Cal's link, finds and level 2 repairs the broken records report. When this version is used a second time on the repaired file it reports "No broken records". If the antique version of salv.exe (1.0.0.1) is now used on the newly cleaned file it again reports "Broken records in BGT_ITM table".

Conclusion: the new version of salv.exe is good, the old version of salv.exe creates problems where none previously existed then reports them witness its effect on SAMPLE.mny which was hardly likely to have been corrupt in the first place.

Teabag

Saturday, June 6, 2015 4:51 PM