Dropping packets while uTorrent is running RRS feed

• Question

• I have uTorrent installed on my WHS, that way the stuff I download is put right where I want it.

It has been working fine for quite a while, but now for some reason, when I have torrents running, my server drops packets.  I can't stream video or music from it, I can't copy large files (I get network resource no longer available, or the like), ping -t reveals many dropped packets.

I have tried a different NIC, different switch, reboots, Windows Updates, NIC driver updates, updated uTorrent, reduced the connections on uTorrent.

The only things of interest in the event log are:
    Volsnap - The oldest shadow copy of volume D: was deleted to keep disk space usage for shadow copies of volume D: below the user defined limit. (quite a few of these)
    WLBS - NLB Cluster 0.0.0.0 : Cluster mode cannot be enabled due to parameter errors.  All traffic will be passed through to TCP/IP.  Restart cluster operations after fixing the problem by running 'wlbs reload' followed by 'wlbs start'.  (these seem to appear on bootup)

and not much else of interest.

No processes are hogging CPU time, the disk doesn't appear to be thrashing, nothing in the process list looks dodgy to me.  I've installed AV on it and its not flagging anything.

If I stop all the torrents, I can copy large files to and from it all day, as well as watching movies.

There have been a couple of power failures, which I guess might have screwed something up.  Is there something anyone can suggest short of doing a fresh install and going through the pain of migrating all of my data again?
    Monday, November 3, 2008 9:53 PM

All replies

• You should examine network traffic on the server. It's certain that your torrent client is causing the problem, because it goes away when you turn the client off, but exactly how it's causing a problem is something that's roing to require investigation. I would start with Task Manager's Network tab, then turn on a few more columns in the process tab. You may also want to download and use Process Explorer, which can give a more in-depth look at what's going on.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, November 3, 2008 10:11 PM
  • I did a netstat -no while it was happening and everything other than four connections, which appeared to be localhost stuff and me connecting to the box, were either PID 0 (process that's ended, which could well have been a utorrent instance I had closed) or 1692 (utorrent).

procexp isn't showing me much of interest.

Could it be some sort of winsock problem? can't cope with heaps of connections.
    Monday, November 3, 2008 10:22 PM
  • I've got a snapshot of C: from back in June just before I installed PP1.  Do you think anything would bork if I restored that?  It won't touch D:, but I'm not sure if I've added/upgraded any of the drives since then.

Tuesday, November 4, 2008 5:40 AM
  • Your best bet is to turn down what are pretty agressive settings in uTorrent.

I had a similar problem with a standard XPsp2 machine, where uTorrent was tracking a number of torrents which resulted in a huge number of connections being held open (remember it's constently looking for new sources for the torrents).

I resolved this by reducing the number of seed/peers uTorrent kept track of (sorry, don't know the exact setting, as I don't have that PC in front of me and this PC doesn't have uTorrent installed).

Hope that helps.

Note: netstat wont help, as it doesn't seem to see a lot of the uTorrent connections, plus even when a connection is closed (or times out), it's not necessarily available straight away for reuse.  I suspect there are other tools out there that would have better visability of uTorrents connections (like say one of the tools from the Sysinternals kit)

Later'ish
    Craig
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 7:26 AM
  • I've already turned the connections down to a quarter of what they were.  The problem with that theory is that it used to work just fine, and did for quite some time.

I can't find my WHS install media right now, so I won't be reinstalling it for the time being.  I might try restoring the snapshot though, hoping it doesn't bork when it sees that D: is different.
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 7:45 AM
  • If you've added or removed any drives, created or deleted shares or users, connected or removed PCs, installed any add-ins, etc. then you may find that restoring the old image from the C: drive results in a variety of issues.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 3:36 PM