WHS 2011 Restore - Detect Hardware "NO NETWORK DEVICES" RRS feed

• Question

• I am restoring my son's laptop. I have inserted the Restore CD and proceeded through the process. I did copy the Restore Drive folder to a thumb drive and installed that in his USB port. No mater what I try in the F8 combinations with our without trying F8 I cannot get it to recognize any network devices. His laptop has a 100M wired port and a wireless port. After the Restore process scans the USB It still doesn't recognize any HW ports. I know the atheros drive is on the thumb drive. If I proceed ahead I have to enter the name of the server manually and it never finds it. I think my problem is still that the restore detects 7 storage devices but no network devices so it is not able to see anything on my network. The lights on the switch are not lit which supports that the wired connection is not functioning. Any help is appreciated.
    Monday, July 2, 2012 8:28 PM

Answers

• http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/9a900d82-ea39-4ecf-ac24-44f58088e506

The laptop was Win 7 64 bit so the drivers it stored were 64 bit. WHS restore is a 32 bit. Once I downloaded the 32 but drivers it recognized the NIC and I am off an running.....

• Marked as answer by RobinLoneTree Tuesday, July 3, 2012 2:24 PM
    Tuesday, July 3, 2012 2:24 PM

All replies

• Have you extracted the Atheros driver files and put them in the root of the USB drive?.

I am not certain that it is neccesary to place them there but when I had the same issue with the Atheros card the restore worked fine.

Dave

The Frog on the Lilypad at Home

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 3:47 AM
  • Yes I tried this earlier today. The USB drive had the original folder and ALSO each of the files in the "root" directory.
    Tuesday, July 3, 2012 5:00 AM
  • I'm obviously not sure what is going on but the driver version I used was 4_L1e_1021.zip. I extracted the zip and placed the appropriate driver folder and the inf files from the same folder in the root of the USB stick. My machine was Win 7 64 bit and the vista driver did the job.

If you want to try this version of the driver and it is different to the one you already have you can send an email to farflame at no8wireless dot co dot nz and I'll email to you. The file is about 2.5 MB.

Dave

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 5:48 AM
  • Just another thought. How big was the USB stick you were using?

I do not know whether there is a limit or not on what can be used but I used an old 1GB drive.

Dave

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 8:59 AM
  • http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/9a900d82-ea39-4ecf-ac24-44f58088e506

The laptop was Win 7 64 bit so the drivers it stored were 64 bit. WHS restore is a 32 bit. Once I downloaded the 32 but drivers it recognized the NIC and I am off an running.....

• Marked as answer by RobinLoneTree Tuesday, July 3, 2012 2:24 PM
    Tuesday, July 3, 2012 2:24 PM