Windows 7 activation Parallels and Boot Camp RRS feed

• Question

• Ok here is the situation.  (I have searched high and low and if there is an answer to this, I dont know where to find it).  I have Windows 7 Pro installed on a Boot Camp Partition on my macbook pro.  When I try and boot the same partition and installation within Parallels Desktop, it says that I need to revalidate.  It fails the automatic validation.  If I call and activate, will it mess up Windows within Boot Camp?

I use windows for two things.  I play games (I own way to many steam games than I care to admit).  For that, I am very happy using boot camp for the best speed.  Second, I write cross platform software and this is why I would like to be able to boot windows using Parallels for those times I just want to test something real quick, but dont want to reboot my whole computer.

Any help would be great as this is driving me crazy.

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 6:44 PM

Answers

• I appreciate your response, but there is one major flaw though.  I is not like uninstalling and reinstalling on another machine.  It is a single installation.  Whatever windows thinks is wrong.

Maybe its Microsoft’s fault, maybe its the virtualization companies' fault.  Either way, for me it is a problem.

All of this boils down to one simple issue: Many people, like myself, installed a single, legitimate copy of windows and can't use it the way we want.  I am sure that some of you will argue about what we "want", but it doesn't seem to me to be unreasonable to expect to be able to use my Boot Camp installation of windows in a virtual environment.

I think it is worth talking about the big picture here.  Some of you may be asking "why would you want to do this anyways?", well for me it is simple.  Most of the applications I use on a daily basis are OS X only.  That means that I spend most of my time in OS X.  I write software for the iPhone and got a copy of windows to look at maybe writing some of my stuff for windows mobile 7.  I installed it in Boot Camp to get native speeds since compiling in a virtual environment seems silly.  Using windows in a virtual environment when peak performance is not needed is perfectly fine for my purposes.  

Darin, you hit the nail on the head, "The question, as I see it, is you want to us the same  install of Windows 7, sometimes in Boot Camp and sometimes in Parallels."  (I added the bold and underline)

Is this going to keep me from ever using windows again? No, thats just dumb.  Will it realistically limit the amount of time programming in windows? Yes.  I now try and determine how much time I have to code, and weigh that against rebooting my computer a few times to read code in OS X and translate it in windows.

Hello FityP,

We have explained the issue and what we believe the Licensing behind it is. There is little point discussing this further in a support forum since if the licensing is, in fact, as we interpreted, this is not something that Support can "Fix". The only resolution that would allow you to use one copy of Windows on two computers (Virtual or Physical) would be to change the Windows Licensing which Support has no authorization to do.

The fix for your issue is to use two copies of Windows. One for each computer (as described in the Windows 7 End User Licensing Agreement).

If you wish to further discuss this topic, it will need to be done in the Feedback and Comments section of this forum or in another forum in which the discussion is On Topic.

As to Mike's issue, this is a consumer support forum. If you have an Enterprise support issue, I would recommend either posting in the Technet/MSDN Server forums or contacting Microsoft Enterprise support (http://support.microsoft.com

Thank you,

<Thread Locked>

Darin MS
    Monday, October 11, 2010 9:09 PM

All replies

• Ok here is the situation.  (I have searched high and low and if there is an answer to this, I dont know where to find it).  I have Windows 7 Pro installed on a Boot Camp Partition on my macbook pro.  When I try and boot the same partition and installation within Parallels Desktop, it says that I need to revalidate.  It fails the automatic validation.  If I call and activate, will it mess up Windows within Boot Camp?

I use windows for two things.  I play games (I own way to many steam games than I care to admit).  For that, I am very happy using boot camp for the best speed.  Second, I write cross platform software and this is why I would like to be able to boot windows using Parallels for those times I just want to test something real quick, but dont want to reboot my whole computer.

Any help would be great as this is driving me crazy.

No - but it will almost certainly fail validation.
    Where did you acquire the license/software?
    download and run the MGADiag tool - from  here http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/servicerequest.aspx
    and see what it reports - copy the report to your response!

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 6:58 PM
  • I purchased the Student Upgrade via Digital River.  I dont really know why or how that would matter since my understanding is that it is indistinguishable from any other copy of Windows 7 Pro Upgrade.  Unless you are just probing to see if my copy is legit, which it is...  

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):

-----------------------------------------

Windows Validation Data-->

Validation Code: 50

Cached Online Validation Code: 0x0

Windows Product Key: *****-*****-KBM39-DJ9T6-R8C37

Windows Product Key Hash: 0cdK7Mn7m/q+izrHZvxKIYsVnZg=

Windows Product ID: 00371-152-2857292-85697

Windows Product ID Type: 5

Windows License Type: Retail

Windows OS version: 6.1.7600.2.00010100.0.0.048

ID: {89632B48-45C3-4FA1-9409-6228BFF1DECC}(1)

Is Admin: Yes

TestCab: 0x0

LegitcheckControl ActiveX: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Product Name: Windows 7 Professional

Architecture: 0x00000009

Build lab: 7600.win7_gdr.100226-1909

TTS Error: 

Validation Diagnostic: 

Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->

ThreatID(s): N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Windows XP Notifications Data-->

Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

File Exists: No

WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->

Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->

Office Status: 109 N/A

OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002

Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-364-80041010_025D1FF3-229-80041010_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-517-80040154_025D1FF3-237-80040154_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-244-80070002_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->

Proxy settings: http=127.0.0.1:5555

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)

Default Browser: C:\Users\Dustin\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe

Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt

Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled

Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed

Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled

Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled

Active scripting: Allowed

Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{89632B48-45C3-4FA1-9409-6228BFF1DECC}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>6.1.7600.2.00010100.0.0.048</OS><Architecture>x64</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-R8C37</PKey><PID>00371-152-2857292-85697</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1796871245-1326837307-778366605</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Parallels Software International Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>Parallels Virtual Platform</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Parallels Software International Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>5.0.9344.558741</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20071026000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>9FBA3607018400E8</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults>  

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

Licensing Data-->

Software licensing service version: 6.1.7600.16385

Name: Windows(R) 7, Professional edition

Description: Windows Operating System - Windows(R) 7, RETAIL channel

Activation ID: e838d943-63ed-4a0b-9fb1-47152908acc9

Application ID: 55c92734-d682-4d71-983e-d6ec3f16059f

Extended PID: 00371-00170-152-285729-01-1033-7600.0000-1252010

Installation ID: 016851893825359253971281277243222916015215444050054055

Processor Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88338

Machine Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88339

Use License URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88341

Product Key Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88340

Partial Product Key: R8C37

License Status: Notification

Notification Reason: 0xC004F00F.

Remaining Windows rearm count: 3

Trusted time: 6/2/2010 5:10:35 PM

Windows Activation Technologies-->

HrOffline: 0x00000000

HrOnline: 0x00000000

HealthStatus: 0x0000000000000000

Event Time Stamp: 5:20:2010 11:53

ActiveX: Registered, Version: 7.1.7600.16395

Admin Service: Registered, Version: 7.1.7600.16395

HealthStatus Bitmask Output:

HWID Data-->

HWID Hash Current: LAAAAAEAAgABAAEAAAABAAAAAQABAAEAnJ/g20xcWP6OqfQ9BoWkqQ45yhI=

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->

N/A

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->

BIOS valid for OA 2.0: yes, but no SLIC table

Windows marker version: N/A

OEMID and OEMTableID Consistent: N/A

BIOS Information: 

ACPI Table Name OEMID Value OEMTableID Value

APIC PRLS   PRLS_OEM

FACP PRLS   PRLS_OEM

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 9:14 PM
  • I purchased the Student Upgrade via Digital River.  I dont really know why or how that would matter since my understanding is that it is indistinguishable from any other copy of Windows 7 Pro Upgrade.  

...and that is your problem - it's an UPGRADE, which requires a previously-installed qualifying operating system for the install to 'take'.
    You should have bought a Full version, since you are installing to what is effectively a clean system.
    (which is the reason that we ask questions like that!)

--

Thursday, June 3, 2010 4:34 AM
  • Actually, I do not think the fact that it's an Upgrade matters in this case.

FityP was able to install it and enter the Upgrade key. If it had not been installed as an Upgrade, the Upgrade key would not have been accepted. We can see from the Diagnostic Report that the key was accepted therefore we know that the software was installed as an Upgrade which means there was an lower version of Windows that Windows 7 was Upgraded from.

The question, as I see it, is you want to us the same install of Windows 7, sometimes in Boot Camp and sometimes in Parallels.

My understanding of Boot Camp and Parallels is limited, but if you are trying to use Windows in 2 different enviroments (i.e. Boot Camp and Parallels) Windows would see each enviroment as a different "computer" with different hardware IDs and such.  Because of this, each time Windows is used in a differemt enviroment, it sees that it is now installed on a different computer then last time and would require an Activation. This is the same as if you installed Windows on one physical computer and Activated it, then uninstalled it and reinstalled it on a different physical computer.  You would need to Activate again. And if you then moved it back to the first physical computer again, you would then need to Activate once again.

I hope that helps,

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, June 3, 2010 6:02 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by FityP Tuesday, August 31, 2010 6:32 AM
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 5:57 PM
  • "Darin Smith MS" wrote in message news:3879a509-8591-4c4c-95c7-482be3794700...

Actually, I do not think the fact that it's an Upgrade matters in this case.

FityP was able to install it and enter the Upgrade key. If it had not been installed as an Upgrade, the Upgrade key would not have been accepted. We can see from the Diagnostic Report that the key was accepted therefore we know that the software was installed as an Upgrade which means there was an lower version of Windows that Windows 7 was Upgraded from.

Ah - thanks for the explanation, Darin - it makes sense to me.

--

Thursday, June 3, 2010 8:21 PM
  • I am running into the similar situation as the starter of this thread. So basically, 

1) I got a new mac book

2) I installed My legitimate Windows 7 using the boot camp (=on a different partition, bootable without mac)

3) Then, with this new features of the VMs, I loaded the Windows using Parallels on MAC OS X. (So my windows is on a "different system environment".)

4) Even though my windows is not telling me that I need to revalidate, my office 2007 (which I assume, on the same validation mechanism) says I need to revalidate. I guess my windows will do the same soon.

In this case, I got only ONE copy of windows on ONE machine, which is basically what the license enforces. But I have to revalidate whenever I switch between the bootcamp and parallels.

Because of "the way windows detects" if it is on the same system or not, not because I got two copies of Windows installed.

People says that even the "revalidation" count is limited and have to validate through an automated voice services (which is also limited). 

As a paid customer, I do not see why I have to go through all the hassle even though I am keeping the essential requirement of the license. (maybe not the technical articles that exist to guarantee the "one copy only" rule.)

I think, there are and will be people running into a same situation more and more. Is there any way to make things more reasonable? =)

Monday, July 12, 2010 2:53 AM
  • Hello zingle,

You are trying to install and activate one license for Windows onto two computers (the physical bootcamp computer and the virtual parallels computer) simultaneously.  Not allowed.  The SLT specify that the virtual machine is a different machine.

From the W7Ult retail SLT:

1. OVERVIEW.

a. Software.

The software includes desktop operating system software. This software does not include Windows Live services. Windows Live is a service available from Microsoft under a separate agreement.

b. License Model.

2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.

a. One Copy per Computer.

b. Licensed Computer.

c. Number of Users.

3. ADDITIONAL LICENSING REQUIREMENTS AND/OR USE RIGHTS.

a. Multiplexing.

b. Font Components.

c. Icons, images and sounds.

d. Use with Virtualization Technologies.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97

Instead of using the software directly on the licensed computer, you may install and use the software within only one virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system on the licensed computer. When used in a virtualized environment, content protected by digital rights management technology, BitLocker or any full volume disk drive encryption technology may not be as secure as protected content not in a virtualized environment. You should comply with all domestic and international laws that apply to such protected content.
    While the software is running, you may use but not share its icons, images, sounds, and media. The sample images, sounds and media provided with the software are for your non-commercial use only.
    While the software is running, you may use its fonts to display and print content. You may only

· embed fonts in content as permitted by the embedding restrictions in the fonts; and

· temporarily download them to a printer or other output device to print content.

Hardware or software you use to

· pool connections, or

· reduce the number of devices or users that directly access or use the software

(sometimes referred to as "multiplexing" or "pooling"), does not reduce the number of licenses you need.

Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, only one user may use the software at a time.

d. Alternative Versions.

The software may include more than one version, such as 32-bit and 64-bit. You may install and use only one version at one time.
    You may use the software on up to two processors on the licensed computer at one time. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, you may not use the software on any other computer.
    You may install one copy of the software on one computer. That computer is the "licensed computer."
    The software is licensed on a per copy per computer basis. A computer is a physical hardware system with an internal storage device capable of running the software. A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a separate computer.
    Monday, July 12, 2010 3:21 AM
  • Hello zingle,

Sorry, the section of the SLTs I tried to paste in the above post just won't paste the right way and I cannot seem to delete the pasted text.

To read your license terms, go here and drill down to your specific Windows:  http://www.microsoft.com/About/Legal/EN/US/IntellectualProperty/UseTerms/Default.aspx

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Monday, July 12, 2010 3:27 AM
  • Dan, thanks for the quick response. =)

I understand your point. Yes, according to MS defined, I am trying to activate two computers that uses the same license key. What I was just wondering if those complex licensing terms were to prevent users to make illegal copies of the product, shouldn't it be okay to have only one installed copy and run it on my "two(physical&virtual)" computers? It's not even possible to run it simultaneously.  what I am trying to do is just my legitimate copy on my computer (physically same hw and never leaves it).

I know this is not a discussion board, and it's a policy that I can ask for change right now. But I just wanted to remind that all the complex technical terms in the documents were to enforce buyer use only one copy. I got only one copy on ONE physical computer. Just I want to run it differently time to time. 

I think for paying customers, it should be easier, not harder.  (Not saying to you Dan, but to MS. ;) )

Thanks

Jun

Monday, July 12, 2010 5:24 AM
  • Hello zingle,

Asking Microsoft to come off of the one computer/one installation rule would be like asking God to come off of one of the Ten Commandments......IOW, not gonna happen :-)

What you are trying to do has always been noncompliant with the license, and is almost identical to what many Windows enthusiasts do, which is to dual boot the same license on the same computer.  Dual booting has always been noncompliant, too, but up until recently, when Microsoft has developed its product activation system's ability to keep track of every Windows installation over the internet, it has largely been an unenforceable provision.

Monday, July 12, 2010 12:18 PM
  • I see.  I guess I can't ask God to come off of one of the Ten Commandments. If I do, then I must be asking for too much.

However, unlike the dual booting case you mentioned, in my use cases, it seems there's no way to make it complete. Since I got only one windows installed anyway, even if I got a second license key, there seems no way to activate one windows with two licenses.

It will be like,

0) One windows installed on a separate partition, say sda3, with my original license key.

1) I will activate and validate my windows when I booted it directly on my macbook.

2) When I need to use the windows applications while I am on Mac OS, then I will try to load the windows from the partition "sda3" using parallels or VMware.

3) Then windows will think that it's a different machine and asks for a re-activation.

4) I may change the license key of the Windows to my second key and activate.

5) Then when I reboot my macbook to Windows, it will think it's a new machine and will ask for re-activation.

Well... when I saw this new "boot from the boot camp" feature, I thought it was brilliant way to run windows in both mode, but I didn't see this tiring activation issue coming.

Monday, July 19, 2010 9:48 AM
  • Hello zingle,

You wrote, "even if I got a second license key, there seems no way to activate one windows with two licenses."

When you activate the second installation with a different product key, Poof, it becomes a second and different Windows.

Monday, July 19, 2010 1:16 PM
  • When you activate the second installation with a different product key, Poof, it becomes a second and different Windows.

Are you sure that works when using Parallels and BootCamp?  Remember, there is no second installation of Windows, it's just two different ways of booting up the very same instance of Windows.  How do you install two different keys into the same instance of Windows?
    Monday, July 19, 2010 3:12 PM
  • Hello darrenc1,

BootCamp installs a physical installation of Windows onto the Mac's hard disk drive.  This installation does not go away, it always exists.

Parallels creates a Windows installation virtually.  So on a Mac with a Bootcamped Windows, which always exists, whenever Parallels creates the virtual machine running Windows, there are two installations of Windows thus two licenses are needed.

[In the Windows virualization world the need for one license per virtual machine also exists, and in setings where virtualization is extensively used (as opposed to the OP's more-or-less "hobby" use of virtualization), Windows 7 Enterprise is used which is licensed to support IIRC up to four virtual installations.]

Monday, July 19, 2010 3:43 PM
  • Dan, 

I think what was the 

The thing is this new(?) feature of VMWare & Parallels does not require another copy of windows. It just load the windows from the "physically installed windows". It will create a file that contains some configurations and etc, but it does not have Windows inside. My windows virtual machine file is only about 26MB when Parallels is not loaded. Since there's no second installation, I can't use 2 license keys.

On the parallels web site, there's a page for this feature.

http://www.parallels.com/landingpage/dskd40-14/

VMWare offers the feature as a step of migrating process to move everything into VMWare.

http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/migrate.html

(Sorry that I am not quoting actual paragraphs. Somehow it didn't look nice when I did copy&paste)

This was quite surprising for me too at first. :)

Monday, July 19, 2010 4:41 PM
  • BootCamp installs a physical installation of Windows onto the Mac's hard disk drive.  This installation does not go away, it always exists.

Parallels creates a Windows installation virtually.  So on a Mac with a Bootcamped Windows, which always exists, whenever Parallels creates the virtual machine running Windows, there are two installations of Windows thus two licenses are needed.

Dan,

BootCamp and Parallels actually use the same instance - Parallels does not use a separate virtual install, rather it takes the instance that already exists on the hard drive and simply boots it up into a virtual environment.  When it is booted up, it will already have the existing key in it.  Likewise, if you change the key while in Parallels, when you boot back into Windows from BootCamp, the key will be changed there also.

One instance of Windows is simply booted two different ways and, since there is only one instance of Windows, anything you change while booted by one method (such as the key) is already reflected in Windows when you boot back to Windows using the other method.

Monday, July 19, 2010 4:54 PM
  • So, is there a way to install two licence keys onto single Windows 7 installation and run it on two different hardware configurations? Please, Microsoft representative, answer. If yes, then I will continue using Windows since there are some useful applications that are only Windows-based and there are some functionality offered by Windows that I need. However, if that is not possible I guess I would have to give up Windows and only use it occasionally when playing games (booted from Boot Camp), which means that most probably I will not be interested paying for the next version of Windows and sooner or later will switch to Mac OS entirely.

Saturday, August 21, 2010 10:00 PM
  • I talked to a MSFT representative by phone today. They said it's not possible to install two keys onto single installation, which is too bad, I would say. Please fix it as soon as possible, otherwise I will have to give up on using Windows.
    Monday, August 23, 2010 11:16 AM
  • Going back all the way to Windows 3.1, the Windows software license agreement has always stated you are permitted just one (1) installation of Microsoft Windows using one (1) license.
    Carey Frisch
    Monday, August 23, 2010 12:09 PM
  • Going back all the way to Windows 3.1, the Windows software license agreement has always stated you are permitted just one (1) installation of Microsoft Windows using one (1) license.
    Carey Frisch

Are you saying Microsoft should NOT be innovative and keep up with the times?  That's sure what that statement sounds like.

Though this particular issue doesn't effect me, I can see how it could in the near future.  What the MS people here don't seem to be understanding is that when you use Bootcamp and Parallels, you do only have ONE INSTALLATION.  You simply have two different switches to turn it on with.  As long as this stayed in the Apple realm I can see MS ignoring it forever, but now Windows based software is starting to implement this technology.  MS is going to have to catch up and quit trying to play with the same rulebook that they used in the days of 3.1.

Monday, August 23, 2010 1:03 PM
  • I find myself in almost the exact same situation as FityP. I understand the limitation of one license per machine - and even understand (though I find it reprehensible) Microsoft's refusal to recognize the virtual environment on the same machine as anything but a different machine. What makes the situation even more disgusting is that there doesn't even seem to be a way to purchase a second license key and use it to re-activate the same Windows installation within Parallels so that it could be used both natively and virtually. This strikes me as unreasonable on Microsoft's part, given that this is a not-uncommon usage scenario for their OS, and as false advertising on Parallels' (http://www.parallels.com/landingpage/dskd40-14/)!
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 11:06 PM
  • "Hugh Nano" wrote in message news:6542b8e4-5444-4f5c-8fce-929f3866564c...
    I find myself in almost the exact same situation as FityP. I understand the limitation of one license per machine - and even understand (though I find it reprehensible) Microsoft's refusal to recognize the virtual environment on the same machine as anything but a different machine. What makes the situation even more disgusting is that there doesn't even seem to be a way to purchase a second license key and use it to re-activate the same Windows installation within Parallels so that it could be used both natively and virtually. This strikes me as unreasonable on Microsoft's part, given that this is a not-uncommon usage scenario for their OS, and as false advertising on Parallels' (http://www.parallels.com/landingpage/dskd40-14/)!

MS cannot be held responsible for what third-party software products claim.
    As to whether it's a 'not-uncommon' usage scenario - I would be very surprised if it's more than 0.01% of the market.

--

Saturday, August 28, 2010 9:12 PM
  • I appreciate your response, but there is one major flaw though.  I is not like uninstalling and reinstalling on another machine.  It is a single installation.  Whatever windows thinks is wrong.

Maybe its Microsoft’s fault, maybe its the virtualization companies' fault.  Either way, for me it is a problem.

All of this boils down to one simple issue: Many people, like myself, installed a single, legitimate copy of windows and can't use it the way we want.  I am sure that some of you will argue about what we "want", but it doesn't seem to me to be unreasonable to expect to be able to use my Boot Camp installation of windows in a virtual environment.

I think it is worth talking about the big picture here.  Some of you may be asking "why would you want to do this anyways?", well for me it is simple.  Most of the applications I use on a daily basis are OS X only.  That means that I spend most of my time in OS X.  I write software for the iPhone and got a copy of windows to look at maybe writing some of my stuff for windows mobile 7.  I installed it in Boot Camp to get native speeds since compiling in a virtual environment seems silly.  Using windows in a virtual environment when peak performance is not needed is perfectly fine for my purposes.  

Darin, you hit the nail on the head, "The question, as I see it, is you want to us the same install of Windows 7, sometimes in Boot Camp and sometimes in Parallels."  (I added the bold and underline)

Is this going to keep me from ever using windows again? No, thats just dumb.  Will it realistically limit the amount of time programming in windows? Yes.  I now try and determine how much time I have to code, and weigh that against rebooting my computer a few times to read code in OS X and translate it in windows.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 7:04 AM
  • In XP it is treated like a laptop that has a docking station - two sets of hardware one one system. I had to create two hardware profiles: One called Bootcamp, and one called Parallels. I get a boot menu when I start up - I just have to choose the right one.

I am investigating right as I post this to see if the process will work in W7 because I want to upgrade to W7 on my Bootcamp partition, so I don't have a complete answer for you. But I wanted to mention the hardware profile step, since no one else mentioned that here...

Onward...

--

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 2:56 PM
  •   It is a bad assumption that the usage case is that small.  Parallels is one of the two predominant virtualization technologies on Mac OS X (the other being VMWare).  I am a networking consultant, while much of my career is based on Microsoft software, I am finding more and more of my life spent working with Unix/Linux based systems.  Enter my purchase of a macbook pro.  It is incredibly powerful to run windows apps and mac apps side by side.  It overcomes all the arguments against a mac solution.  To that end I would bet that a very large number of Parallels users virtualize their Boot Camp partition, and it would have to be much higher then 1/100 of a percent.   

The core issue is that due to the virtualization layer, Windows 7 is presented with 2 different hardware sets.  One the real hardware of the machine, when it is booted in boot camp mode; and the other presents the paravirtualization drivers.  This trips the windows security into thinking you have 2 different sets of hardware (in fact to the Windows OS you do).

Before I upgraded to version 6 of Parallels desktop for mac, I must have simply activated twice or something to that effect.  I will try to reboot and reactivate my Boot Camp partition and see if the problem goes away, my virtualized view (view because that is effectively what I am doing, viewing the same "computer" in 2 different fashions) is happily activated so I just need to sort out my boot camp view and hope it doesn't hose my mac view.

BTW I work all day with 3 different windows 7 vm's running on 3 different networks, and my mac os all running at the same time.. that is the power of this technology, no KVM flips, not a bunch of RDP session everything in front of me all the time..  

PPS: This activation issue is a major problem for real virtualization every time I move VMs in production environments into and out of what are called farms/pools I have to reactivate windows 2008 servers.  This issue is related ( in this case the MAC address and other factors are changing under the covers and tripping windows security).  I would actually describe this issue as a MAJOR problem for Microsoft, and the Mac issue is just one facet of it.

Monday, September 27, 2010 4:22 PM

Darin, you hit the nail on the head, "The question, as I see it, is you want to us the same  install of Windows 7, sometimes in Boot Camp and sometimes in Parallels."  (I added the bold and underline)

Hello FityP,

We have explained the issue and what we believe the Licensing behind it is. There is little point discussing this further in a support forum since if the licensing is, in fact, as we interpreted, this is not something that Support can "Fix". The only resolution that would allow you to use one copy of Windows on two computers (Virtual or Physical) would be to change the Windows Licensing which Support has no authorization to do.

The fix for your issue is to use two copies of Windows. One for each computer (as described in the Windows 7 End User Licensing Agreement).

If you wish to further discuss this topic, it will need to be done in the Feedback and Comments section of this forum or in another forum in which the discussion is On Topic.

As to Mike's issue, this is a consumer support forum. If you have an Enterprise support issue, I would recommend either posting in the Technet/MSDN Server forums or contacting Microsoft Enterprise support (http://support.microsoft.com

Thank you,

<Thread Locked>

Darin MS
    Monday, October 11, 2010 9:09 PM