New WGA Updata (6-27-06) Requires an UpFront Explanation RRS feed

• Question

• A new Windows Genuine Advantage Download has been posted as a High Prioroty Update today, without any explanation of how it is different from last weeks contentious download by the same name.

Does this version have an Uninstall feature added to the Add/Remove Programs applet, does it remove the daily "Call Microsoft" feature that has been such a hot issue, does it correct all the false positives folks have been discussing? And what advantage is it to download and install this version if last week's version actually did function properly.

Nothing was discussed on the windows update site, or the link to "learn more". Windows users deserve more that just "trust me" it's "high priority".

Phil, please give us a full explanation.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 10:42 PM

Answers

• John:

I'm not sure what "false positives" you are referring to. Most of the times, users have taken their machines to repair shops and have had (unknowingly) gotten their operating system replaced with non-genuine ones, or have tampered binary files which cause product key permissions issues.

The newest update is a full general public release and is no longer classified as Pilot.

The details of the release are discussed in the press-pass articles that Carey has provided.

-phil liu

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 12:25 AM

All replies

• Update to the WGA Notifications program introduces changes based on customer feedback: http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2006/jun06/06-27WGA.mspx

How to disable or uninstall the pilot version of Microsoft Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921914

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 11:16 PM
  • John:

I'm not sure what "false positives" you are referring to. Most of the times, users have taken their machines to repair shops and have had (unknowingly) gotten their operating system replaced with non-genuine ones, or have tampered binary files which cause product key permissions issues.

The newest update is a full general public release and is no longer classified as Pilot.

The details of the release are discussed in the press-pass articles that Carey has provided.

-phil liu

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 12:25 AM