Remove old drives from configure backup. RRS feed

• Question

• I have swapped hard drives and made other changes (basic to dynamic and then back to basic) on one of my laptops. At this point I am back to a very generic 2 hard drive laptop, C and D. When I go to configure the backup for this laptop in my WHS console, all of the old and now nonexistent drives are still there with a status of unknown. The two current drives are there with a status of internal. Is there a way to get rid of all the old ones? I searched but could not find one.

Thanks,

Mitch
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 8:43 PM

Answers

• There's no way to get rid of them short of removing all the backups that contain them and the computer and cleaning the database, no. But there's also really not a lot of need to. They don't represent a significant amount of space in the backup database on your server, due to the way Windows Home Server stores backups.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Friday, February 19, 2010 1:21 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Makman Friday, February 19, 2010 1:53 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Al West Friday, February 19, 2010 11:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by Makman Friday, February 19, 2010 4:42 PM
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 9:13 PM

All replies

• There's no way to get rid of them short of removing all the backups that contain them and the computer and cleaning the database, no. But there's also really not a lot of need to. They don't represent a significant amount of space in the backup database on your server, due to the way Windows Home Server stores backups.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Friday, February 19, 2010 1:21 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Makman Friday, February 19, 2010 1:53 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Al West Friday, February 19, 2010 11:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by Makman Friday, February 19, 2010 4:42 PM
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 9:13 PM
  • It's not the backups I am talking about. It is simply when I click on "Configure backup", and I get to select which drives I want to backup, I see about 10 of them when there should only be two for me to choose from at this point.

Mitch
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 9:44 PM
  • Ken perhaps I misunderstood. Are you saying that unless I delete all the backups that ever referred to the now nonexistent drives, they will continue to appear when I click on "configure backup"?

Thanks,

Mitch
    Friday, February 19, 2010 2:17 AM
  • Ken perhaps I misunderstood. Are you saying that unless I delete all the backups that ever referred to the now nonexistent drives, they will continue to appear when I click on "configure backup"?

Thanks,

Mitch
    Yes, that is exactly what he's saying.
    Friday, February 19, 2010 2:32 AM