Unable to see hub PC from newly added PC (which is recognized by the hub PC) RRS feed

• Question

• 3rd PC added unable to see the hub PC or share files with the hub - any suggestions?
    Friday, June 26, 2009 1:47 AM

Answers

• 3rd PC added unable to see the hub PC or share files with the hub - any suggestions?

Open OneCare on each of the computers.

Click Change Settings

On the firewall tab, click configure firewall

If the network is shown as Public, click Change Location to change it to "Home or Work."

Click the Advanced Settings button

Click Network connections tab.

If there are multiple active connections shown, you may need to disable the extras in your Windows network connections settings. (Network and Sharing Center, manage connections, in Vista; Right click My Network Places and select Properties on the Start menu in XP)

On the Ports and Protocols tab, add a check mark next to File and Printer Sharing - for subnet and Internet if the first setting alone (after all of the above are verified) does not allow Sharing to work.

If all of the above fail, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Friday, June 26, 2009 12:25 PM

All replies

• HI!

When you installed Windows Live Onecare on the 3rd computer, did you set it up as hub or not?  It is recommended that only one computer will be set as a hub.  Kindly verify also if the firewall is set on home or work, not public place.

-----
    bayabasgirl29
    Friday, June 26, 2009 2:05 AM

Open OneCare on each of the computers.

Click Change Settings

On the firewall tab, click configure firewall

If the network is shown as Public, click Change Location to change it to "Home or Work."

Click the Advanced Settings button

Click Network connections tab.

If there are multiple active connections shown, you may need to disable the extras in your Windows network connections settings. (Network and Sharing Center, manage connections, in Vista; Right click My Network Places and select Properties on the Start menu in XP)

On the Ports and Protocols tab, add a check mark next to File and Printer Sharing - for subnet and Internet if the first setting alone (after all of the above are verified) does not allow Sharing to work.

If all of the above fail, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Friday, June 26, 2009 12:25 PM
  • Hi thanks for responding, I followed your suggestions and checked the same settings on the 3 pc's, the hub sees all 3 and so does the 2nd pc, but the 3rd cannot access the other 2 in the group still.
    Could the fact that the 3rd pc is connected to a wireless router fed from the main router, whereas the other 2 pcs are connected to the main router directly have something to do with it?
    • Edited by hanswebb Sunday, June 28, 2009 6:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by hanswebb Sunday, June 28, 2009 6:18 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by hanswebb Sunday, June 28, 2009 6:18 PM
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 6:00 PM
  • I only set one pc as a hub, and all 3 are set on home or work. It is puzzling that I am able to see all 3 pcs from the other 2, but cannot see the other pc's in my network from the 3rd pc
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 6:04 PM
  • Hi thanks for responding, I followed your suggestions and checked the same settings on the 3 pc's, the hub sees all 3 and so does the 2nd pc, but the 3rd cannot access the other 2 in the group still.
    Could the fact that the 3rd pc is connected to a wireless router fed from the main router, whereas the other 2 pcs are connected to the main router directly have something to do with it?

The wireless connection can add some complexity, but should not affect the ability to see the PCs and share files as long as you followed my advice in the original reply for sharing settings.
    All 3 computers or any combination of them including none, can be configured as hub, by the way, with no impact on sharing.

Since the steps I provided have not helped, please contact support. The link to instructions are in my previous reply.
    -steve
    Monday, June 29, 2009 12:12 AM