Cannot Hibernate Server via Software RRS feed

• Question

• I am running WHS on a Shuttle K45. I am unable to use any program to software hibernate the Server. I can put the Server in Hibernate from the Console manually. I have S3 enabled on the server. All else works fine. Tried Auto Exit, Wake on Lan. Lights Out and Power Switch.

Ideas?

Thanks

Frank

Kenmore, WA

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 12:51 AM

Answers

• Hi Frank,
    please also check the event log for error messages. Some more detailed information would be welcome.
    Did you block the SBCORE service, as outlined in the documentation for Lights out, i.e.?
    Does the action also fail if you pull the network cable of your server?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 7:54 AM

All replies

• What are the symptoms, other than "can't put it in hibernation"? Does it just not hibernate? Or does it go into hibernation, then wake later?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 1:59 AM
  • Hi Frank,
    please also check the event log for error messages. Some more detailed information would be welcome.
    Did you block the SBCORE service, as outlined in the documentation for Lights out, i.e.?
    Does the action also fail if you pull the network cable of your server?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 7:54 AM
  • Thanks all for your input. Your comments jogged my old memory and I was able to resolve all except for Lights Out and I will get that yet.

Trouble was in one case I did not enter the Admin password and in another I did not set up the access info correctly.
    Now off to getting Lights Out working.

Thanks Again

Frank

Kenmore, WA USA.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 8:15 PM
  • I'm also having trouble with this. I cannot hibernate my WHS. I turned on hibernation, followed all the directions in LightsOut to turn off the SBCORE service, but my WHS doesn't do a thing when I ask it to hibernate.

The one thing I couldn't do as part of the installation was to accelerate my video card, as I do not have one. Does that affect things? Would installing a video card fix the problem? Other thoughts?

THanks in advance.
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 8:10 AM
  • If you are using the in box VGA driver, then your server will not go into standby/hibernation.
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 1:33 PM
  • Thanks.  Is there a way to defeat this other than installing a VGA card? A driver fix, perhaps?
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 6:59 PM
  • No. If you don't have video hardware at all, then I believe Windows loads the default VGA driver. If your motherboard has on-board video, you can try activating that and installing the appropriate drivers.
    Monday, November 23, 2009 1:06 AM