Virus trojan:win32/alureon.gen!j RRS feed

• Question

•  

i have recently had a virus infect my computer, this virus causes internet explorer to bring up random pages when searching for a website in such search engines as google. it is blocking all anti virus updates and preventing me from updating windows by redirecting the microsoft website to the msn website. i have run a scan using windows live one and it came up with a virus called trojan:win32/alureon.gen!j but it could not remove it. how do i get rid of this virus?
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 4:08 PM

Answers

All replies

•  

If you are using Windows Live OneCare and you have been infected, but OneCare did not detect or cannot remove the malware, please contact support to report this and for help with removal.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

If  you are not using Windows Live OneCare, you are off topic for this forum. This is not a general forum for viruses, spyware, or Windows Help. For help with spyware issues, you may want to try the forums here: 

http://aumha.net/ For help with virus removal, contact the maker of your Antivirus program.

If you are in North America, you can call 866-727-2338 for help with virus and spyware infections. See http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx for details. For international information, see your local subsidiary Support site.

-steve
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 4:41 PM
  • Steve
    I recently happened across WindowsOneCare, it looked good so I signed myself up for the free trial (also got my folk's to do the same) with a view to now using this as my security tool.  It instructed me to update some stuff from update.microsoft but just like Solemnbob I couldn't do this. I also have had this 'redirecting to the wrong websites' problem that seems so common. As OneCare cleared a Trojan:Alureon.gen!J and an L and also a BB from my PC I'm assuming it's all connected with these little beauties???

Although having done many hours of reading about the Alureon probem I'm sadly non the wiser as to what to do next. Not being experienced in this field.  Will OneCare have solved the infection as it appears? How do I mend my registry to get everything back to normal again or do I instead use a back-up on my backed up external hard drive?  I have a OnceCare log and a Hijackthis log but neither mean antything to me...in fact I'm worried that if I do the wrong thing I'll do more harm than good.
    I followed your repeatedly stated advice and logged a help-call into OneCare Support a couple of days ago, but tonight I suddenly can't get Outlook to open any more, so a) something strange is still going on with the PC (although a OneCare scan shows no infection) and b) I won't be able to recieve the support I'd expected by email.

You seem to exude an air of experience and wisdom...Can you point me in the right direction?  Is there something I haven't been able to find on the Microsoft site that can instruct me what I should do?
    Any help would be much appreciated. 
    Peter..

Tuesday, January 6, 2009 1:28 AM
  • Peter, when you called support, were you only able to leave a message? Or did you use email support because you are still a trial user? If you called and left a message, please call back until you actually speak to someone and get a case number at least.
    I'm not sure that Outlook not opening is related. That can sometimes happen if it doesn't close properly - it won't start next time as it is actually still running. Open task manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and look for outlook.exe and kill all of them. There would be one hung instance and one for each time you tried to open it afterwards. Once they have all stopped, try starting Outlook again.
    It is possible that OneCare didn't completely clear the infection(s) or it may even have missed some.
    OneCare or not -  

If you are in North America, you can call 866-727-2338 for help with virus and spyware infections. See http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx  for details.  For international information, see your local subsidiary Support site.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 6:21 PM
  • Thank you Steve.
    Indeed it was just that Outlook had hung (it's easy to assume that the trojan is to blame for everything...) Doh!

Alas, I seem to be going around in circles at the moment...
    I had a resonse this morning from my help request email (OneCare free trial customer only).  Sadly, there wasn't any actual specific advice for me. It seemed to be a standard response format which sent me to the very microsoft web addresses that this problem is preventing me fom accessing, looking at other web pages I've already viewed, and getting onto these forums which I've already done too.  All just cyclical advice!.

I think I can move forward if I can undo what the virus has done to IE that stops it from believing that the microsoft update web site doesn't exist. That is, enable IE to access these key sites. That way I can update IE itself and other security files etc and download Windows Defender etc.  That would get me moving in the right direction at least.
    It seems to be a common issue, I just haven't found  common solution yet in my searchings.. 

Is there an appropriate forum or some knowledge base where I can get experienced advice to help me get the IE problem rectified? 

Thanks for your help thus far. I'll keep plugging away at this in case I stumble over something helpful.
    Peter..
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 9:35 AM
  • You're welcome and glad that you got the Outlook issue sorted at least.

IE resources are here:  

Internet Explorer 7 Solution Center

And, if you still suspect malware that OneCare may not be detecting, have you tried the phone number I provided or are you not in North America?

I know you are a trial user and support may send you back to email support, but.... 

Unofficial path - send me an email at sboots@mvps.org with a subject line including "OneCare" (to get past my spam filtering) and in the message body, tell me what country you are in, your forum nickname, and paste this link:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareanti-virus/thread/2194c070-97a5-4b36-bf91-986bbe2f1f41
    I am not online 24x7, so you may be waiting for a reply, but I'll do my best to hook you up with support.

-steve

Wednesday, January 7, 2009 4:55 PM
  • Oh, and you don't want Defender as you already have OneCare. OneCare includes the protection of Defender and it won't install if it sees OneCare. OneCare disables it if Defender is already there.
    -steve
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 4:56 PM