RE: SSD on laptop - WHS wont back it up because of a "system reserved" partition RRS feed

• Question

• Error Message: An error occurred reading or writing from the computer's hard drive (system reserved)

Hi, I installed a new 120GB SSD in a laptop and installed a fresh install of Windows 8 pro 64 bit. The problem is that it fails to back up to the WHS because of the drive's system reserved partition. I'm guessing this small 700 meg partition is the drives filing system, etc.. I am unable to configure the backup to ignore that partition. Any suggestions? I also had the same problem with Windows 7 32 bit on the same SSD with the same partition. Thanks for your reply.

Thursday, November 15, 2012 1:41 PM

All replies

• Generally happens if for some reason the reserved partition gets too full for whatever reason. A work around, if it's not too much effort, would be o reinstall W8, but before you do, clear the existing partitions and then create a single partition on your SSD (connected to another PC). Install to that partition and the files which would have gone to System Reserved will be on C:.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Thursday, November 15, 2012 8:24 PM
  • Hi Phil - I thought of doing the same thing but I also was wondering why WHS doesnt allow me to ignore that partition. Its not a problem to delete the partition and start over I just thought of seeing of a different alternative. Thanks.. very helpful!
    Friday, November 16, 2012 12:35 AM