NoReplyAll Option for Mac Client? RRS feed

• Question

• I've recently started using the NoReplyAll plug in for Outlook 2013 64bit, and it works great ...as long as the other users are all on PC's.  We have a few people using the Mac client of Outlook 2011 and they are able to reply-all still. The problem is that if they reply all first, then anyone can reply all to their message and just skirt the system.

Thursday, July 11, 2013 1:30 PM

Answers

• It's not just Mac that bypasses the reply flag settings: Outlook Web Access and mobile clients pay no attention to them. And if you stray outside the enterprise, the flags get dropped on the way to the recipient. The technology I use in the add-in is very fragile - it's nothing more than a small speed bump.

If the flags are available within the Mac version of Outlook, then it would be a "mere" matter of having something read them - but I don't know if Mac Outlook has an add-in model (if it does it won't be much like what I've used here) so I'm not sure if it's possible to augment the tool with this additional functionality.

I could imagine that one could define an email header which email clients would all set and read to control the "reply-all-ability" of messages - the flags I'm using are effectively a built in version of that specifically for Outlook on Windows with the added extra of not requiring the recipient to have the add-in installed, but a general solution would be a lot of work (and could be bypassed by people not enabling their add-ins). I'm afraid that's not something I've any plans for, sorry.

The robust and reliable way to prevent the spread of emails is to use Exchange's IRM features.

Thursday, July 11, 2013 3:11 PM

All replies

• It's not just Mac that bypasses the reply flag settings: Outlook Web Access and mobile clients pay no attention to them. And if you stray outside the enterprise, the flags get dropped on the way to the recipient. The technology I use in the add-in is very fragile - it's nothing more than a small speed bump.

If the flags are available within the Mac version of Outlook, then it would be a "mere" matter of having something read them - but I don't know if Mac Outlook has an add-in model (if it does it won't be much like what I've used here) so I'm not sure if it's possible to augment the tool with this additional functionality.

I could imagine that one could define an email header which email clients would all set and read to control the "reply-all-ability" of messages - the flags I'm using are effectively a built in version of that specifically for Outlook on Windows with the added extra of not requiring the recipient to have the add-in installed, but a general solution would be a lot of work (and could be bypassed by people not enabling their add-ins). I'm afraid that's not something I've any plans for, sorry.

The robust and reliable way to prevent the spread of emails is to use Exchange's IRM features.

Thursday, July 11, 2013 3:11 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Gavin, and that makes perfect sense!
    Thursday, July 11, 2013 6:16 PM