Two NAS' Behind Two Routers with a Few uTorrent Setup Questions RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased an EX495 Media Smart from HP.  I have a QNAP TS-409Pro that I have been using for the last three years but my family is just at wits end trying to figure out how to deal with a Linux box for most of the duties they demand of the device so I figured that the WHS was a good compromise.  I want to use the Linux box for things like remotely backing up my websites etc. and set them up so they can use the WHS for day to day file storage, downloads and media management.

My network is generally laid out as follows:

• I have an ISP provided modem that I can't get rid of because it is the only gateway for my TV that they will accept.  That modem/router is IP address 192.168.1.1.  It serves as the gateway to the internet and all other functions have been disabled.
    • I installed a second router behind the first.  It is at IP address 192.168.2.1 and serves as the DHCP / wireless access point for the network as well as the gateway for my NAS devices.
    • My two NAS and a PS3 sit behind the second router with IP addresses 192.168.2.2 and 192.168.2.3 and 192.168.2.4 respectively.
    • As seen above, I need to double port forwarding through two routers for my NAS' to get internet exposure.  As a result, the UPNP functions of WHS are useless because they only configure the one router (gateway) properly.  So, I imagine I will need to set a static IP and manually forward ports through the two routers for it just as I have done for the original NAS I own.
    • The QNAP NAS is accessible for torrents, ftp, ssh, web server and a variety of other services through the internet with a reverseDNS address.
    • My modem does not have NATLoopback so I cannot access it from the LAN using the WAN domain address.

My first questions is how can I make both of these servers accessible from the net?  I use a ReverseDNS on the Linux box and the WHS seems to come with a free reverseDNS (homesever.com) but, when I use the WHS home server domain address, my port forwarding redirects me to my older NAS instead of my newer NAS.  Essentially all traffic on port 80 and port 8080 is redirected to the old NAS due to port forwarding rules.

I would ideally like to access both NAS remotely without having these conflicts.  Is it as simple as changing the web interface default port address on my old NAS and redirecting port 80 and 8080 to the new NAS?

Second, I intend to use the WHS for torrents using uTorrent.  I have had a nightmare of trouble trying to get it installed.  My luck has gotten me far but now I have hit a wall where I cannot install the Web GUI portion of the uTorrent client and it is impossible to download any .torrent files due to "security restrictions."  There doesn't appear to be an easy way to install the client from the control panel so I have had to do so through the Remote Desktop.  Still, no joy.  

Anyone had any success installing uTorrent (the latest version) and can walk me through the problems I am encountering?

Thanks for the time you took reading this message, I apologize for it being so long winded.

Monday, October 25, 2010 8:51 AM

All replies

• Multiple devices acting as routers causes a "double NAT" situation, which causes problems with Windows Home Server. Correcting these situations is usually easiest if you simply take one router out of the equation, e.g. by placing your broadband modem into "bridge" mode.

Failing that, each router-like device (your broadband modem and your second router) has an external and an internal IP address. You will, in general, need to forward ports manually from each device to the next one in line, so from your modem to your router's external address, then from your router to your server. You've already done this for your NAS, so you're familiar with the principles. As for getting multiple web sites working, on multiple computers (your NAS is a computer in this sense), it's almost certain that your router doesn't have the ability to do what you want. You can generally only forward a given port to a single internal device. In the enterprise, this is most often dealt with using some form of reverse proxy server; this is obviously well outside the usual requirements of a home environment, so Windows Home Server doesn't include any support for it.

Regarding your torrent software, you'll probably be better off checking with a site that supports it. The add-in is really abandonware as far as I can tell, and nothing installed and configured from the Windows Home Server desktop (as uTorrent itself must be) is supported anyway. If you search these forums you'll find a lot of other people have similar problems, and I don't think you'll find a lot of solutions.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, October 25, 2010 12:58 PM