none
Permissions getting dropped? RRS feed

• Question

• It works fine in version 1.4 and when I drag and drop a file, but in version 2.0 a security group gets dropped.

SyncToy 2.0 does not use the permissions on the right folder.  It is dropping a group (Authenticated Users) that should be inherited from the parent folder. The System, Admin and IIS groups are on the overwritten or new files.  But the Authenticated group is getting dropped for some reason.

I am Sync'ing a folder on a Novell Server (left) to a Windows 2003 R2 server (right) in Echo mode.

Any ideas?  I hate to go back to version 1.4 since I like the exclude option of version 2.0.
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 7:42 PM

All replies

• Since there was no solution we had to uninstall 2.0 and reinstall 1.4.  Maybe the next release will fix this problem.
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 10:01 PM
  • I'm really not sure what the problem is here since SyncToy never actually propagated ACLs on files or folders (even in version 1.4 and now with version 2.0). When files or folders are created on the destination folder, they simply inherit the ACLs from their parent folders. You should have the correct ACLs set on the root folder for synchronization.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 1:36 AM
    Answerer
  • That is what I thought.  For some reason in v2.0 the files are not inheriting the parent folder.  It is actually overriding but from where.  I mead the source files are on a Novell file server and being copied to a Win 2003 server.  There are no ACL's to copy.

Is it a problem with the "Authenticated" group and v2.0?  Because the rest of the groups get inherited.
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 8:44 PM
  • And you have verified that the Authenticated Users ACL on the destination folder on Win 2003 server is set to propagate to descendent folders and files? You can check this using the Advanced button on the Security page in the Folder Properties dialog.

Also, what happens when you manually create a new file under that folder? Does that get the inherited ACL?

Thursday, November 20, 2008 8:34 PM
    Answerer
  • Yes.  I had been using v1.4 and it works fine.  If I drag and drop a file, that works too.  It is only a problem if I use v2.0 of SyncToy.

The rights on the folder are for the folder, subfolder and files.  So when I do a "file new" that file gets the right permissions too.
    Friday, November 21, 2008 2:06 PM
  • We're using SyncToy in a similar configuration.  The source server is Novell and the target server is Windows Server 2008.  Only the root permissions get applied to new files that get sync'd, not the subfolder specific permissions.  Yes, the subfolder permissions are set to copy down.  Does any one know of a fix or is this a known problem?  Thanks.
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 4:34 PM