MrxSMB service fails at startup RRS feed

• Question

• My WHS runs 24x7 with hibernation from 12-6am, running service pack 2 with all current updates. In the last couple months I noticed a definite slow down in file transfers to my WHS additionally in the last few weeks I notice the WHS dropping in/out of the network (connector icon on client goes grey/green many times during day). I rebooted the WHS and the prompt for "services or drivers failed to load during startup" appeared. When I viewed the event log it showed a warning for the MrxSMB service (event 3032) followed by two errors for the service control manager (events 7009 & 7000). Has one of my network card settings changed ? which one ? Or, Is this an indication of hardware beginning to fail or that maybe one of the updates being the problem? If more info is needed plaease let me know.

System events follow:

7:05:04 AM MRxSmb   Warning  3032  The redirector was unable to register the domain NW on to transport NetBT_Tcpip_{19737E1C-0B51-4CD0-88EF-9AECE4 for the following reason: Transport has been taken offline.

7:06:26 AM Service Control Manager Error  7009  Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the Windows Home Server Setup Service service to connect.

7:06:26 AM Service Control Manager Error  7000  "The Windows Home Server Setup Service service failed to start due to the following error: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."
    Saturday, September 26, 2009 2:33 PM

Answers

• There is no such thing as a true "repair install" on WHS.  There is a Server Reinstallation (which wipes the OS partition, but leaves the data alone). you just reinstall the OS from your original DVD, then keep updating it through the Console until it reports no more updates.
    Thanks for your help Kariya, I did the re-install, I still had the same errors so I did more digging on the hardware side and found that my linksys 8-port switch was dying :((  Seems that when I'd ping machines on one side of the switch i'd get time-outs and not on the other side ! Got a new switch (netgear) and all is zippie again.

I still believe that an iso with all the current updates and packs would be helpful, took half a day for updates to download and install.

Thanks for the help
    • Marked as answer by JK of Seattle Monday, September 28, 2009 5:16 AM
    Monday, September 28, 2009 5:16 AM

All replies

• My WHS runs 24x7 with hibernation from 12-6am, running service pack 2 with all current updates. In the last couple months I noticed a definite slow down in file transfers to my WHS additionally in the last few weeks I notice the WHS dropping in/out of the network (connector icon on client goes grey/green many times during day). I rebooted the WHS and the prompt for "services or drivers failed to load during startup" appeared. When I viewed the event log it showed a warning for the MrxSMB service (event 3032) followed by two errors for the service control manager (events 7009 & 7000). Has one of my network card settings changed ? which one ? Or, Is this an indication of hardware beginning to fail or that maybe one of the updates being the problem? If more info is needed plaease let me know.

System events follow:

7:05:04 AM MRxSmb   Warning  3032  The redirector was unable to register the domain NW on to transport NetBT_Tcpip_{19737E1C-0B51-4CD0-88EF-9AECE4 for the following reason: Transport has been taken offline.

7:06:26 AM Service Control Manager Error  7009  Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the Windows Home Server Setup Service service to connect.

7:06:26 AM Service Control Manager Error  7000  "The Windows Home Server Setup Service service failed to start due to the following error: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."

Did you recently (re)install WHS?  The WHS Setup Service should be automatically removed once the setup process is complete.
    Saturday, September 26, 2009 3:54 PM
  • No, did not re-install. this is original install with most current on-line updates. System had been running fine for over a year. SP2 was installed 3/09, IE8 failed install twice in early July but was successful end of July, last updates loaded were for .net.

Kariya21 - Good point on setup service, maybe that service is associated with the connector S/W trying to setup with each client, but can't because the preceeding domain tcpip is off-line caused by MrxSMB failure.

Maybe I have a corrupt file somewhere. If so, is there instructions anywhere to repair the install ?? and for that matter is there an ISO file available with all current WHS SP2 files and updates ?
    Saturday, September 26, 2009 4:21 PM
  • No, did not re-install. this is original install with most current on-line updates. System had been running fine for over a year. SP2 was installed 3/09, IE8 failed install twice in early July but was successful end of July, last updates loaded were for .net.

Kariya21 - Good point on setup service, maybe that service is associated with the connector S/W trying to setup with each client, but can't because the preceeding domain tcpip is off-line caused by MrxSMB failure.

Maybe I have a corrupt file somewhere. If so, is there instructions anywhere to repair the install ??

There is no such thing as a true "repair install" on WHS.  There is a Server Reinstallation (which wipes the OS partition, but leaves the data alone).

and for that matter is there an ISO file available with all current WHS SP2 files and updates ?
    No, but it's not necessary.  If you decide to do a Server Reinstallation, you just reinstall the OS from your original DVD, then keep updating it through the Console until it reports no more updates.
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 5:33 AM
  • There is no such thing as a true "repair install" on WHS.  There is a Server Reinstallation (which wipes the OS partition, but leaves the data alone). you just reinstall the OS from your original DVD, then keep updating it through the Console until it reports no more updates.
    Thanks for your help Kariya, I did the re-install, I still had the same errors so I did more digging on the hardware side and found that my linksys 8-port switch was dying :((  Seems that when I'd ping machines on one side of the switch i'd get time-outs and not on the other side ! Got a new switch (netgear) and all is zippie again.

I still believe that an iso with all the current updates and packs would be helpful, took half a day for updates to download and install.

Thanks for the help
    • Marked as answer by JK of Seattle Monday, September 28, 2009 5:16 AM
    Monday, September 28, 2009 5:16 AM