Direct linking to shared files RRS feed

• Question

• I would greatly appreciate the ability to directly link to files located in shared folders through remote access.

Ex: http://thedomain/link.aspx?id=parameterhere

My father and I both use the remote access, but he has a very odd method of organization and the ability to provide a link so I can access the file more easily on my end would be helpful. 
    Friday, March 23, 2007 4:43 PM

Answers

• A direct link to a file doesn't appear to be possible.  The closest direct link I could get was to the parent folder.

Friday, March 23, 2007 5:15 PM

All replies

• A direct link to a file doesn't appear to be possible.  The closest direct link I could get was to the parent folder.

Friday, March 23, 2007 5:15 PM
  • Interesting...

It seems like it would be possible to leverage the Windows Desktop Search database which is already installed on WHS.  In fact, that opens up some very neat possibilities and a lot of flexibility for people with large amounts of information.  WHS would need to connect to the WDS APIs somewhere in the Remote Access interface, or at least the WHSC, giving you some indexing related options through the console.  Then a simple search box, such as in Vista's Instant Search (based on WDS) would make a very nice addition.

Saturday, March 24, 2007 5:21 AM
  • The Desktop Search is already leveraged in the web interface. That's what the search box uses.
    Saturday, March 24, 2007 12:58 PM
  • You know, there are several moments in your life where you just look at something and go, "am I really that stupid?"  I can't believe I never even noticed the search functionality.

Well, at least I had a good idea!  So good, they implemented before I thought of it

Saturday, March 24, 2007 3:20 PM