WHS 2011 - Is There a Limit to Number of Music Files RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Folks,

I have built a WHS 2011 Release server with a 500GB RAID 1 OS drive and a 3TB RAID 5 (3X1.5TB) data drive. Asus Motherboard with overclocked Quad core at 3.8GHz with 12GB RAM at 1523GHz. 12gb of RAM because I am running VMWare Server 2.02 with a handfull of VMs including Asterisk. 

I have loaded my ripped CD collection of about 225,000 (800GB) songs into the “Music” share after moving it to the RAID 5 data drive. The problem that I am having is that the whs remote web interface has an issue when I try to stream within the "Media Library".

On the main WHS remote access main page, I can see and select "Browse Pictures" "Browse Music" and "Browse Videos" within the "Media Library" window (sometimes) but when I select "Browse Music", I wait a really long time (even on my local LAN) before it either errors out or loads the “Artists” view. When I change the view from "Artists" to "Albums", I get the following error.

Media Library Error: An error has occurred on the server. Please try again later. If the error continues, view Support Information for help.

Could it be too many files or could it be a folder structure beyond 256 characters. Not sure if it is the later but the character count could be close.

I have tried this from windows XP with IE8 along with Windows 7 with IE8 and IE9 with the same issues.

Help is appreciated, thank you.

• Edited by kidster Sunday, April 10, 2011 6:06 AM Added more info
    • Moved by kariya21Moderator Sunday, April 24, 2011 7:12 PM not a WHS v1 question (From:Windows Home Server Software)
    Sunday, April 10, 2011 6:02 AM

All replies

• Same issue here, with only about 115GB of music.
    Monday, April 11, 2011 1:13 AM
  • I reduced the file count down to about 20,000 songs and things did get better but not perfect. It still did some errors hear and there.

During some testing I found that I was maxing my RAM. It was weird because I had 12gb but only showed 8gb of RAM. I then read that WHS 2011 only supported 8gb of RAM L.

With all of my Virtual Machines, this was not going to do. I went back to the well (technet) and loaded SBS 2011 Essentials. It was a little bit more to get going and I lost Media streaming but hopefully I will be able to install an add-in down the road. Cheers.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 5:10 AM
  • It seems like theres a memory leak or the service that caches the list of files is not performing well.

I have about 30000 songs, but theres no excuse for why its performing like this.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 10:52 PM
  • I get a similiar issue - web access is fine, but streaming is hit and miss.  Sometimes the player will load and play fine, other times it opens then times out and closes.

This issue occurs locally and externally.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 9:49 AM
  • I have a large collection as well, over 200 gigs, and am running into that and other issues with my collection in WHS2011...

I am not sure that it's reading the tag information correctly.  In both iTunes and in Subsonic, two wholly separate music players, if I have songs from a multi-disc record tagged as "disc 1" and "disc 2" and so on, they read that information properly and display the tracks in the proper disc order.  However, when I look at it in WHS, the songs from the different discs are mixed together.

The other problem I am running into is that the library isn't fully populated.....there seem to be entire missing albums for many artists, even on the same level of folder hierarchy, and I have no idea why it has apparently skipped over them; again, other players see them just fine, but for WHS they simply don't exist.

Last problem I seem to be running into is that the player for some reason likes to cut off a song a few seconds or so before the end.  Just stops and skips to the next track. Er?

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 1:28 PM
  • I also am having this same error with Media Library (I have about 130 GB of music).  The error obviously does not give very good information about what the actual problem is.  Remote Access and Media Streaming are a couple of the main reasons I upgraded to WHS2011.  I hope answers and or fixes will be distributed soon.

Has anyone posted this as a bug?  Sounds like several people are having same issues.  I have been having difficult time finding where to report bugs (a little new to this).

These are the errors I found in the Event Viewer:

Information 4/14/2011 8:32:17 AM ASP.NET 4.0.30319.0 1316 Web Event
    Warning 4/14/2011 8:32:17 AM ASP.NET 4.0.30319.0 1309 Web Event

Error 1309 details:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        ASP.NET 4.0.30319.0
    Date:          4/14/2011 8:32:17 AM
    Event ID:      1309
    Task Category: Web Event
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      SERVER
    Description:
    Event code: 3005
    Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.
    Event time: 4/14/2011 8:32:17 AM
    Event time (UTC): 4/14/2011 1:32:17 PM
    Event ID: 6e3a252a81a346d6b92de374bba81827
    Event sequence: 303
    Event occurrence: 1
    Event detail code: 0

Application information:
        Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT/Remote-1-129472255905831108
        Trust level: Full
        Application Virtual Path: /Remote
        Application Path: C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\WebApps\RemoteAccess\
        Machine name: SERVER

Process information:
        Process ID: 1012
        Process name: w3wp.exe
        Account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Exception information:
        Exception type: HttpException
        Exception message: The remote host closed the connection. The error code is 0x800704CD.
       at System.Web.Hosting.IIS7WorkerRequest.RaiseCommunicationError(Int32 result, Boolean throwOnDisconnect)
       at System.Web.Hosting.IIS7WorkerRequest.ExplicitFlush()
       at System.Web.HttpResponse.Flush(Boolean finalFlush)
       at System.Web.HttpWriter.Write(String s)
       at ASP.remoteaccess_master.__Render__control1(HtmlTextWriter __w, Control parameterContainer)
       at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children)
       at System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Request information:
        Request URL:https://[Our server].com:443/Remote/music
        Request path: /Remote/music
        User host address: 74.5.209.206
        User: SERVER\Chad and Kristi
        Is authenticated: True
        Authentication Type: Forms
        Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Thread information:
        Thread ID: 312
        Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
        Is impersonating: False
        Stack trace:    at System.Web.Hosting.IIS7WorkerRequest.RaiseCommunicationError(Int32 result, Boolean throwOnDisconnect)
       at ASP.remoteaccess_master.__Render__control1(HtmlTextWriter __w, Control parameterContainer)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Custom event details:

Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="ASP.NET 4.0.30319.0" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="32768">1309</EventID>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>3</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-04-14T13:32:17.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>2925</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>SERVER</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>3005</Data>
        <Data>An unhandled exception has occurred.</Data>
        <Data>4/14/2011 8:32:17 AM</Data>
        <Data>4/14/2011 1:32:17 PM</Data>
        <Data>6e3a252a81a346d6b92de374bba81827</Data>
        <Data>303</Data>
        <Data>1</Data>
        <Data>0</Data>
        <Data>/LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT/Remote-1-129472255905831108</Data>
        <Data>Full</Data>
        <Data>/Remote</Data>
        <Data>C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\WebApps\RemoteAccess\</Data>
        <Data>SERVER</Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>1012</Data>
        <Data>w3wp.exe</Data>
        <Data>NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE</Data>
        <Data>HttpException</Data>
        <Data>The remote host closed the connection. The error code is 0x800704CD.
       at System.Web.Hosting.IIS7WorkerRequest.RaiseCommunicationError(Int32 result, Boolean throwOnDisconnect)

</Data>
        <Data>https://[Our server].com:443/Remote/music</Data>
        <Data>/Remote/music</Data>
        <Data>74.5.209.206</Data>
        <Data>SERVER\Chad and Kristi</Data>
        <Data>True</Data>
        <Data>Forms</Data>
        <Data>312</Data>
        <Data>False</Data>
        <Data>   at System.Web.Hosting.IIS7WorkerRequest.RaiseCommunicationError(Int32 result, Boolean throwOnDisconnect)
    </Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

• Edited by cwkucera Thursday, April 14, 2011 11:52 PM Added
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 1:23 PM
  • I've started a bug report with microsoft on connect.microsoft.com

Hopefully they look into this.

Possibly you guys can report with a "I can too" button on the reproducing area.

http://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/661003/remote-web-access

Friday, April 15, 2011 12:40 AM
  • Thanks for finding that.  I voted that one up and I attached my error logs that they requested.
    Friday, April 15, 2011 12:55 AM
  • Hey, upon further troubleshooting, I may have resolved my issue.  I am currently in the process of transitioning from my HP Mediasmart EX475. I had turned off the remote access on the HP MSS, but it was still on and active on my network. Remote Access was configured on my new WHS2011 box, everything looked fine. But I was getting these errors when trying to access the Media Library on the 2011 website. Well, I turned off my HP MSS and now it looks like I can review Pictures and Music. I haven't transferred any video yet. That will be my next project, to see exactly what this thing can stream and/or transcode on the fly.

Any thoughts on why this was happening? Even though I had the remote access turned off on v1, was it still trying to access the same port?
    • Proposed as answer by cwkucera Saturday, April 16, 2011 1:56 AM
    Saturday, April 16, 2011 1:56 AM
  • I've recreated my media libraries and am still getting the error/timeouts.  This is the first WHS on my network.  Each time I log in to my server it reports different amounts of music and video.  At first I though it may be something to do with indexing as I'm currently robocopying my music from my current SAN each night.  I've now disabled this so will test tomorrow.  Although the error above looks like a .net/IIS issue.

Further to this - it appears to only be isolated to Music (for me anyway!)  Videos and Pictures appear and work fine (player launches ok)  Still get an error when trying to open music media library and I've deleted the index and re-done it.
    Monday, April 18, 2011 7:35 AM
  • It makes me wonder if they're trying to pull down the music information on the fly from scripts, and the scripts are either timing out, or reporting numbers based on how far it gets before it reports back to the browser.  Either way, if that is the case, it doesn't look like it was tested with large collections.
    Monday, April 18, 2011 7:53 PM
  • Ok, here's a strange one.

I have moved all of my music out of the serverfolder\music, stopped sharing it and disabled music in the streaming option....

I log in to my remote web page, and it still lists all my music tracks, I reindex thinking it hasn't updated, but all tracks appear after index and reboot.

When I click on the Music media button it loads all the albums and I can play them!!!??

Every song I've tested plays fine now - despite not being in any location WHS can see!

I've also used treesize to search if they're in one of the shared folders and they aren't.

How am I am to stream the music when it's not shared or actually in the specified folders?

When browsing my folder shares no music appears and the server is not part of a home group...

UPDATE: Have solved my issue - it was the Windows Media Player cache that was causing the irregularities - stopping the services and deleting the cache has forced WHS to repopulate and the streaming is now working.  I've not imported all my music yet - will do it bit by bit.
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 12:46 PM