Purchase Cost ZERO - MS Money incorrectly getting "Transfer In" event as the "Date Bought" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I hope it's not a bug.

This is my Reports > Capital Gains

It is customized to show only 3 Accounts: RICO, EASYNVEST and BOVESPA and only one investment: HSBS11

Note that purchase Cost is set to 0,00 and the detected Date Bought is 23/11/2017

Now, if I right click on this investment and select "Go to Investment HGBS11" I get the following table:

As you can see, the purchase date was 17/04/2017 and 23/11/2017 was just a Transfer Out/In event.

No other investments where affected by this strange behaviour. Even investments in which tranfer in/out event occurs.

The only peculiar thing about this case is that this is the only investment that was bought in RICO account.

I have already tried a Quick File Repair.

I would appreciate any help.

Thank you.

-- leoh

Sunday, May 5, 2019 1:13 AM

Answers

• To make troubleshotting easier I have removed all dividend transactions and left just 1 transfer in/out transaction.

I will also show BBRC11 to compare with HGBS11. The table below shows HGBS11 with a faulty Purchase Cost. But BBRC11 is fine!

As we can see below for HGBS11, there is just one buy, one transfer in/out and on sell event.

Note that Transfers in/out are all zero basis. With BBRC11 it also happened and, even though transfer in/out is zero based, it did not affect the final Capital Gain result as shown in the first image.

I have deleted all HGBS11 transactions and recreated from scratch and the problem persists.

The only way to make Capital Gain for HGBS11 to work as expected is to buy and sell in one single Investiment Account (BOVESPA for example). As soon as I include a Transfer in/out in HGBS11 investment activities, the Purchase Cost in Capital Gain returns to zero.

-- leoh

Tuesday, May 7, 2019 1:15 AM

All replies

• The second image is trucated. The full statment shows that the purchase cost in 17/04/2017 was not ZERO.

-- leoh

Sunday, May 5, 2019 2:58 PM
  • I have some notes that seem to indicate that transfer out and in may have problems. When I have changed brokers, I renamed the existing account, changed other details.

What I would do is to is to create a fake Buy in Easyinvest of maybe 1000 shares dated maybe 2000/1/1. Edit each transaction that is shown in RICO to be in Easyinvest. Then delete the fake Buy. 

As you edit, add a note on your buy and at least your latest dividend transactions about having actually been made in RICO.

Delete the fake Buy.

There may be a better way... but the way I would do it would get the basis info right. Some would use CutAndPasteToAccount... for the RICO transactions.

Sunday, May 5, 2019 5:07 PM
  • Moderator, thanks for helping.

Following more or less your suggestion, first I decided to create a "buy" in EASYNVEST. I was astonished to see that the capital gains still didn't show any change in Purchase cost. It was still ZERO.

I will keep on trying different approaches to get to the root of this problem.

Thank you.

-- leoh

Monday, May 6, 2019 12:38 AM
  • Your screen snip does not show a Sell, but there must be one. That Sell is still associated with the Transferred-in shares that Money thinks are zero basis. If you Delete or Void the Transfers-in, then the sold shares would be associated with your new Buy.

Alternatively, you could right-click the Sell in the InvestmentActivities list, and choose ReallocateLots.

When you experiment, it is good to keep track of which backup file would undo the experiment, or make a copy of your real *.mny file with a different name , such as Test.mny.

Monday, May 6, 2019 2:02 AM

• To make troubleshotting easier I have removed all dividend transactions and left just 1 transfer in/out transaction.

I will also show BBRC11 to compare with HGBS11. The table below shows HGBS11 with a faulty Purchase Cost. But BBRC11 is fine!

As we can see below for HGBS11, there is just one buy, one transfer in/out and on sell event.

Note that Transfers in/out are all zero basis. With BBRC11 it also happened and, even though transfer in/out is zero based, it did not affect the final Capital Gain result as shown in the first image.

I have deleted all HGBS11 transactions and recreated from scratch and the problem persists.

The only way to make Capital Gain for HGBS11 to work as expected is to buy and sell in one single Investiment Account (BOVESPA for example). As soon as I include a Transfer in/out in HGBS11 investment activities, the Purchase Cost in Capital Gain returns to zero.

-- leoh

Tuesday, May 7, 2019 1:15 AM
  • I have found a solution for this inconsistency in MS Money Capital Gain Report:

1) Created another investment named HGBS11_

2) Inserted all transactions in exactly the same way as HGBS11 (Buy, Sell, Transfer in/out and dividends)

3) Removed bugged HGBS11 investment and all it's transactions

Now MS Money shows the correct value:

Thanks for helping!

-- leoh

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 12:50 AM