none
Messenger 2011, The Humiliation of MSM Messenger

General discussion

• my friend said : don't download Messenger 2011 it is too bad, that made me curious, i thought microsoft is always greate (away of IE)

but after downloading that disaster i was shocked, and i really wonder what happened to Messenger developers team to create sucha a dumb thing. here are the points which make Messenger 2011 a stupid thing:

1. after you download it, it is very possible to face the error 81000306, and it will not work till you go to cmd and enter a command changes the auto-tunneling to disable, do you really expect every person can resolve this issue ??

2. when finally it works, it starts something looks like a web page more than a messenger, the messenger is where we want to a live chat with people, it is not the place for facebook i think, i dont understand, since we have the profile page where we leave notes to other contacts, and we have facebook website for the same thing, why msn messenger must show them??

3. the most stupid thing ever with this messenger, is you try to change the format and color of the font you want to use, at the first glance, there is no button to press it to show you the font format panel, so i typed in plain font for half an hour, then i discovered that, that button is just hidden in the right left corner of the chat window, can anybody tell me, why such an important button is hidden? i don't understad it at all, and it really made me doubt that the person who is responsible about this messenger really intends to damage the reputable of msn messenger

4. the next disaster here: there is no "show my webcam" or request the webcam of the contact !! how about i have a webcam, the contact doesn't, and i want to show him something???? if somebody have answers please tell me.

5. when it starts, you can type your username, and password, in previous versions, you could choose to let messenger memorize your email only, or the email togather with the password, now you have to choose memorize them togather, or forget them togather, how about i want it memorize my email, but not my password, coz if i dont type it frequently i might forget it, then how can i log in from another computer, or after formatting my pc ??, and i dont want to type my email everytime i use messenger .

6. i tried to start video conversation, got error

7. emoticons, are so dumb and not expressive

if you agree with me , please post something, maybe we can let microsoft notice the mistakes they did.

Alan-SY
    Sunday, October 17, 2010 3:13 PM

All replies

• @Alan-Sy

This is the Live Writer forum

Windows Live Essentials questions and solutions should be posted in the:

Windows Live Solution Center - http://windowslivehelp.com

For Messenger (all versions 2011 and 2009) a Forums and Solution area is available

...winston
    MSFT MVP Live Mail
    Monday, October 18, 2010 8:36 PM
  • thanx a lot for your help, i was searching for these forms =D
    Alan-SY
    Monday, October 18, 2010 10:44 PM
  • @Alan-Sy

You're welcome.

...winston
    MSFT MVP Live Mail
    Tuesday, October 19, 2010 4:48 AM
  • Oh man, I have so much anger towards WLM 2011 (again, as I did with the older versions). The Messenger developers do not seem to learn. What you posted is very true, but only the tip of the iceberg!

Sometimes I really wonder how stupid someone has to be to change, remove or add some of the features in newer versions of WLM. User friendliness does not seem to be top priority at all. There is a feedback form, but the 1000 character limit just is not enough to cover my frustration.

To add to what you said (even if it is in the wrong forum):

- Offline messages do not work anymore. I have MSN frequently started in Offline mode, and when someone sends me something and I want to reply, I can't without EVERYONE seeing that I am there.

- They added this beautiful, big box where you can now write a personal message. However, if I write a longer text, and I make a spelling mistake, there is no way for me to simply edit what I wrote, I have to write the whole thing over again! (I'm pretty sure this has to do with the Facebook integration they added... which I hate!)

- Changing the theme works on the buddy list, but not on any of the chat windows, even when "Show contact's theme" is disabled

- Sound settings are either not retained, or the configuration section for the sounds remains blank and does not load

- When having a video call, MSN becomes fairly slow

- Some people like the Facebook integration, I do not, but does it ask me if I want the Facebook stuff either during installation of WLM or at first run? No, I have to search around until I finally find where and how to disable it

- When I start a video call, it automatically closes the chat section and expands the video over the whole chat window. When I then try to resize the video I just can't get it small enough to my liking, and I end up having a tiny chat section (like a lot of people, I dislike making my chat windows fill the whole screen, to me it's a waste of space... I like having multiple chat windows open next to each other... also not grouped mind you).

The worst thing of all is: I started using the WLM 2011 as of the Beta version, and I create entries in the Windows Live Messenger Beta forum for many of the problems that I found, and the only thing they wanted from me, were log files... which I refused to give them, since I find it contains too much private information, that in my opinion they do not need anyway in order to fix these problems.

Anyways, in none of the forum entries working solutions were given, but the entry was marked as "solved".. to which I also complained... but it seems that now in the final release, the problems from the beta version still are not resolved!!!

Do they have such strong deadlines to get a new version of MSN out, that they cannot first solve the problems so many people are complaining about, before releasing the software?

Furthermore I would like to acknowledge some of the things you said:

- The huge screen that opens when you first start WLM, it looks like you're opening a web page with all sorts of useless junk! Plus it took me ages to find how to get my "normal" MSN/Buddy List back!

- Yup, one-way webcam does not seem possible anymore, it's either both, or none. Whoever decided to take that out, should be shot! I am in a long-distance relationship, and since my girlfriend has no webcam, I cannot see her... thank you Microsoft!

- The username and password thing... I thought I was doing something wrong at first. I really thought that no-one could be THAT stupid to remove that feature! I don't want to have to type my e-mail and password in all the time in order to log on, and remembering both makes no sense either, because then anyone touching my pc can log in to MSN under my account... what's the deal!? User friendly... waaay off!

- The emoticons, oh my lord! They have nice colors, but the "emotions" they are supposed to display are way off! I'd take back the old emoticons anyday. Especially ^o) the "sarcastic smile", that's not what I want to express! I want to express "eh? are you sure"... disbelief

Anyways, I could ramble on for eternity about WLM and my frustrations with it... buggy buggy buggy. They do not seem to learn, with previous versions of MSN it was just the same, new feature were added and more features were added, but already existing problems were never fixed. The problems continued to show up in every succeeding version.

The MSN developers seem to have a gift for removing much used and wanted features, and replacing them with cruddy ones.

Whew, that felt good! ^_^

Stitch

• Edited by Stitch10925 Tuesday, November 23, 2010 11:18 PM formatting got lost
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 11:09 PM
  • So treu

When Bill designed windows 1.0 his goal was to make the use of a pc simpler not harder

Microsoft has made there messenger just got more complicated than before with less options, that is not progress, its moving back, just to show bigger ads

Thursday, November 25, 2010 5:00 PM
  • This should be moved by a mod...
    Please 'Mark as Answer' if found helpful - Chris@tier-1-support Tier 1 Support
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 6:26 PM
  • @Chris ,

Move to where ? 

- A Messenger forum is not present on this platform(social.microsoft.com)  i.e. no place to move(it)

For you future reference...

Support for Windows Live Messenger (and on a entirely different platform) is accessible via the following link

http://windowslivehelp.com/product.aspx?productid=2

...winston
    MSFT MVP Live Mail
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 7:34 PM
  • I just installed Windows messenger 2011 after the repeated pop-ups.  The thing does not work at all. Can't check mail, no screen. Just that little box with the dead whatever saying to kill the page.  I want to downgrade back to the previous version. In the future MSN please don't alert me to your non-working upgrades. Thank you.
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 7:13 PM
  • @Donnatella,

Fyi...this is the Live Writer forum...and pretty much defunct since the official Microsoft support forum(Windows Live Solution Center) for all Windows Live Essential applications(of which Live Messenger is one) now resides at http://windowslivehelp.com

For Windows Live Messenger issues:

http://windowslivehelp.com/product.aspx?productid=2

For Windows Live Essential Installer issues:

http://windowslivehelp.com/product.aspx?productid=12

For Windows Live ID issues

http://windowslivehelp.com/product.aspx?productid=10

Fyi.....Information on how to register and use the solution center(Live ID, registration with a username etc) can be found in the two articles(New To The Solution Center, Frequently Asked Questions about the WLSC) on the link below.

http://windowslivehelp.com/solutions.aspx?categoryid=32b618c4-0bd5-465a-a735-48873f34c5bf

When posting your question to the Windows Live Solution Center to aid the Live Support personnel in responding properly it might be appropriate to (1) Explain the pop-ups, (2) How you are checking mail - Messenger only provides a link to logon to Hotmail since it is not an email client, (3) What 'dead whatever' means.

To revert to any Windows Live Essentials 2009 programs(the prior version and last released in May 2010) one must uninstall the entire 2011 suite and reinstall the 2009 versions.  Uninstall in Vista/Win7 via Control Panel/Programs and Feature selecting Windows Live Essentials. Once uninstalled shut down and restart the entire machine. To reinstall 2009 one must download the installer(full or web versions) and use it to reinstall 2009. Links to obtain the full or web installer are provided below.

Windows Live Essentials 2009
    - For XP SP2, Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008
    - Direct download Links:
    Full Version Installer English Language version
       http://g.live.com/1rewlive3/en/wlsetup-all.exe
    Web Version Installer – English Language Version
       http://g.live.com/1rewlive3/en/wlsetup-web.exe

- Microsoft Web Site links(web installer version)
       http://explore.live.com/windows-live-essentials-xp

System Requirements:
      http://explore.live.com/windows-live-system-requirements

Note: Direct download links above are for the English language installer. For a different country one must replace the 'en' with their specific and correct local language code.

Good Luck,

Microsoft MVP's are not employees of Microsoft. MVP's are independent experts offering real-world answers.

...winston
    MSFT MVP Live Mail
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 12:32 AM
  • One of the BIGGEST mistake is they UNBLOCKED my blocked contact. Darn! out of sudden everyone seeing me online. This invaded my privacy!

I hope M$ DO NOT ever force install WLM 2011. It's a nightmare. I have revert back to WLM 2009.

This is the most stupid thing I have seen.

Saturday, January 29, 2011 7:45 AM
  • I COULDN'T AGREE WITH YOU MORE! WLM HAS SCREWED-UP BIGTIME IN 2011!
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 10:59 AM