Master Project Issues/Questions RRS feed

• Question

• In Project Server 2010, I've created a number of projects that role up under a custom field called Release so I can group projects by release in a Project Center view.  I would also like to be able to add those projects to a Master Project so that I can create a detailed view that shows all the milestones for all Release x projects in one view.  The first problem is that, when I insert the projects into the master and publish the master so I can see it in PWA, the individual projects "disappear" from the Project Center view.  I can see them if I drill down into the Master Project, but I still want to see them in the Project Center grouped under Release.  I only want to use the master to see - in one place - a consolidated view of milestones.  Is it possible to show projects in PWA both under a master and "standalone" at the same time?  Second problem is that, when I drill down into the Master and select the Milestone View that I created - the milestones don't show up.  If I simply filter for the milestones with the master open, it works fine, but the same filter in the custom view doesn't work.  I'm assuming it's because, when you open a Master Project in a custom view, it leaves it doesn't automatically expand it, but was wondering if there was a solution to this? 

Thanks - DKL

Thursday, October 28, 2010 3:11 PM

Answers

• Hi DKL - I also see that error if I have tasks other then milestones (yes, my testing was that limited!).  Excel Services is definitely the way to go.

Update - A work around for this would be to set the filter within the PWA page, eg duration = 0d (which normally defines a milestone).  This works nicely.

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web

Thursday, October 28, 2010 4:38 PM

All replies

• Hi DKL,

There is a checkbox on the ribbon called subprojects - if you check that you'll find your subprojects appear in addition to the master project.

Regarding Milestones, there there is a button called Outline, if you select that, there is an option at the bottom called Expand Subprojects.  Also you could use Excel Reporting services to get the milestones.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 3:53 PM
  • Ben - Thanks.  Never saw the Subprojects checkbox.  The Expand Subprojects doesn't work.  If I'm already in the "Milestones Only" view and try to Expand Subprojects, I get a message that says, "An unknown error has occured."  If I Expand Subprojects in another view - such as Tasks Summary - then switch to the Milestones view, it rolls up the subprojects first so I still don't see the milestones.  Right now, I'm just playing around in a test environment.  From what I've seen, I don't know if it will be worth messing with master projects and agree that Excel Reporting services might be the route to go to consolidate milestones from multiple projects.  Thanks again.
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 4:21 PM
  • Hi DKL - I also see that error if I have tasks other then milestones (yes, my testing was that limited!).  Excel Services is definitely the way to go.

Update - A work around for this would be to set the filter within the PWA page, eg duration = 0d (which normally defines a milestone).  This works nicely.

Thursday, October 28, 2010 4:38 PM
  • Ben,

I, too, am receiving the message, "An unknown error has occurred" when I view my master project schedule in PWA and try to expand a subproject.  Unlike DKLJoe, I am not using any custom fields or roll-ups.  My Master project has two milestones.  I inserted two subprojects, each with just 3 tasks -- no milestones.

On my first attempt, I created the two sub-projects and saved them to the server.  Then, I created a master project in Project Pro and inserted the two sub-projects which at that point had not been published.  Then, I published the master project.  Then, I received the error above when trying to view the subprojects in the master project.

On my second attempt, I opened each of the two subprojects, published them, and then went back to the master project, opened it, and published it again, and checked-in all of them.  Still, the same error.  From the Project Center, I can view each of the sub- / master- projects individually.

The reason that I want to use master projects is that my projects typically have multiple phases, and I like to do a separate project plan for each phase, but I want to have a project collaboration site at the master project level to provide continuity for the project team.  Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you,

Dave P

davep
    Friday, January 14, 2011 4:19 PM