Editing the remote/default.aspx page RRS feed

• Question

• this is probably a really simple question for you guys but what i want to do is edit the remote home page after you login. I have just recently added the Website Management addin and i want to change the title of the websites box (web sites) on the homepage to something different e.g. pictures as it is showing picture links not website links. I thought it would be simple to just go in to the source code on the server of default.aspx and edit the text but i cant find the bit that i want to edit.

Where is the source code for that page so i can edit it or is it not possible.

Forgive me if this question is abit vague or stupid but iam not much of a developer.

Thanks,
    Vandey
    Tuesday, June 12, 2007 12:15 PM

All replies

• The file is default.aspx in c:\inetpub\home and c:\inetpub\remote.

The links themselves and a few other areas are generated automatically, but you should be able to play with the rest of the page without a problem.

Just remember to take backups before modifying Smile
    Tuesday, June 12, 2007 2:52 PM
  •  Andrew Grant wrote:
    The file is default.aspx in c:\inetpub\home and c:\inetpub\remote.

The links themselves and a few other areas are generated automatically, but you should be able to play with the rest of the page without a problem.

Just remember to take backups before modifying

This is where i looked initially but when you view the source code through Internet Explorer it is different to that of default.aspx in c:\inetpub\home and c:\inetpub\remote. So basically i can find exactly what i want to change by looking at the source through IE but when i go to edit default.aspx on the server it is different and i cannot see the same parts as i did in IE??

make any sence???

cheers,
    Mat

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 3:22 PM
  • I think most of the page you want to modify is generated by "code behind" the actual default.aspx (or whatever) page. So you will have to learn how to modify the default behavior, probably by creating a class that inherits from the current one and extending it.
    Tuesday, June 12, 2007 3:36 PM
  • What about registering other controls in the default.aspx page?

For instance placing these at the top of the .aspx file:

<%@ Page Language="vb" AutoEventWireup="false" Explicit="True" Inherits="DotNetNuke.Framework.DefaultPage" CodeFile="Default.aspx.vb" %>
       <%@ Register TagPrefix="dnn" Namespace="DotNetNuke.Common.Controls" Assembly="DotNetNuke" %>

Then the asp controls in the body section.

This should work right? If placing all of the correct files in the bin directory?

Thanks...

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 4:04 PM