MVC Application directly on a hosted web server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

I stopped coding for a while and have just got back into it. I want to create an MVC application directly on a hosted web server where I do not have control over the IIS or configuration.

I can open the website by typing the URL but i cannot create an MVC application directly i can only create it locally on my computer.

Is there any way to make this work?

Also I have one machine at home so I am not certain what needs to be installed on the hosted server for MVC to work.

Any ideas would be awesome, thanks.

• Moved by Lie You Monday, April 18, 2011 2:16 AM mvc not C# (From:Visual C# General)
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 4:27 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Welcome to the MSDN Forum.

It seems like a web problem. You can consider posting it at the following more appropriate forums related at MVC for more efficient responses, where MVC experts live in.

Also, I will move this thread to the Off-Topic Forum.

Thanks for your understanding and support
    Best Regards,
    Rocky Yue[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Proposed as answer by Just Karl Tuesday, January 14, 2014 11:41 PM
    • Marked as answer by Just Karl Tuesday, January 14, 2014 11:41 PM
    Monday, April 18, 2011 2:15 AM

All replies

• I have a personal F#/C# MVC 3.0 application (No T-SQL) with Discount ASP.NET   here for $5 a month [1]:

http://www.conservativeart.net/

I used MVP Daniel Mohl's F#/C# MVC 3.0 Template: http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/f57aa816-e96b-4133-ab5d-9b9b99914ead/?SRC=Home to create the application in VS2010 on my local machine and then used the Build/(Publish Web) option of VS2010 to upload the contents and patched minor issues with standalone ftp. 

There are only two things I don't like about Discount ASP.NET:

1. Their security is a bit lax (but for a personal web page they will do)
    2. They charge an extra $10 a month for T-SQL service (I don't need T-SQL right now so this doesn't affect me)

If you are looking for a decent Microsoft Gold Certified Parter hosting platform for a personal web page, then Discount ASP.NET may work for you; unfortunately, until they address their security issues, I wouldn't host a for profit or sensitive information site with Discount ASP.NET.

Other low cost managed ASP.NET hosts can be found here http://www.microsoft.com/web/hosting/home  but I haven't tried any of them.

Respectfully,

Shawn

[1] - Becuase I was using an F#/C# MVC mixture, my setup was slightly awkward.  If you just want to host straight C# or VB.NET MVC 3 then your setup will be easier.

Warning:
    Absolutely no warranty express or implied comes with this post.  The poster will not be held liable for any physical, mental, emotional or financial loss that results from the use of suggestions or information contained in this post.  Entities that follow the advice in this post do so at their own risk.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 3:13 AM
  • Hi,

Welcome to the MSDN Forum.

It seems like a web problem. You can consider posting it at the following more appropriate forums related at MVC for more efficient responses, where MVC experts live in.

Also, I will move this thread to the Off-Topic Forum.

Thanks for your understanding and support
    Best Regards,
    Rocky Yue[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Proposed as answer by Just Karl Tuesday, January 14, 2014 11:41 PM
    • Marked as answer by Just Karl Tuesday, January 14, 2014 11:41 PM
    Monday, April 18, 2011 2:15 AM