Direct Yes, Network No RRS feed

• Question

• I can access my WHS — 490 Power Pack 3, 6.0.2423.0 — with remote access over my network, but the console will not start up.

I can start the console directly from a networked machine, but it hangs with blank content.

If I attach the WHS directly to a computer, the remote and direct remote console work fine.

Backups are being kept up to date.

Sunday, May 16, 2010 7:16 PM

Answers

• Well I dumped Twonky or Twinky and thing are temporarily working. I do have one machine that has not backed up for 4 days, but I'll work on that.

I'm not yet willing to say that I'm back the way it should be.

• Marked as answer by DKlippert Wednesday, May 26, 2010 2:58 PM
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 8:51 PM

All replies

• All right, it works again with no changes made at all.

If you just point your finger at a misbehaving child, they will sometimes start acting better.

Monday, May 17, 2010 4:01 PM
  • It's failing again
    Saturday, May 22, 2010 10:14 PM
  • Does a connection with Remote Desktop work?
    Is Shared Folder access working properly?
    Which Add-Ins did you install on your WHS?
    Do you have a security suite on the client installed, which has its own firewall? If so, this may cause some bad behavior.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Sunday, May 23, 2010 9:01 PM
  • Remote connection works, backups work, Shared folders work.

It is only the console that fails.

I have TentacleSoftware.DiskManagement, WHS Admin, Avast and PerfectDisk installed.

WHS Admin has been removed. I'm now trying to uninstall Perfect disk.

All of these worked fine until 3.0 update 1.

Sunday, May 23, 2010 11:08 PM
  • Can you check the event log on the server for error messages or warnings related to the console failure? Also the logfiles on the server, which you find by clicking Start/Run on the server desktop and entering %qlogs% and clicking OK. Check for logfiles, which have changed around the time, in which you attempted to open the console here.

What happens, if you click Options on the console login screen and select Reset Console?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, May 24, 2010 9:37 AM
  • Well I dumped Twonky or Twinky and thing are temporarily working. I do have one machine that has not backed up for 4 days, but I'll work on that.

I'm not yet willing to say that I'm back the way it should be.

• Marked as answer by DKlippert Wednesday, May 26, 2010 2:58 PM
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 8:51 PM
  • Needed a little Chkdsk on the recalcitrant machine, but for now all is well.
    Wednesday, May 26, 2010 2:58 PM