product key RRS feed

• Question

•   It appears this is not a new problem. I just bought One Care at Best Buy. I am trying to activate it but get the product key entered.... message. Did I actually pay for a years subscription or not? What do I do now? I discarded the package but kept the Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity sticker, so I can't return it. I'd heard that this was such a good program that I uninstalled Norton, but I NEVER had problems like this with Norton! Should I go back with them?

Saturday, July 26, 2008 11:11 PM

Answers

• If you have already entered the product key, to activate One Care, you only have to enter the Live ID and password used to set up your subscription.

Sunday, July 27, 2008 5:11 AM

All replies

• If you have already entered the product key, to activate One Care, you only have to enter the Live ID and password used to set up your subscription.

Sunday, July 27, 2008 5:11 AM
  •  Sorry for showing my frustration. I did not recieve a product key with my disc purchase. I discarded the case but saved the Authenticity Certificate.  I know what the product key looks like and would not have discarded that too.

When I click the red onecare icon in the tray the onecare page comes up saying that I need to finish set up, but with no product key I can go no further. I really need to speak to someone but can't find a phone number for customer support.

Your help is apperciated.

Thursday, July 31, 2008 11:15 PM
  • Unfortunately, the product key was inside the case that you discarded. It is placed on the back of the CD tray, found when you flip it over. I don't know if support can do anything for you, but the FAQ explains how to open an email support case - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, August 5, 2008 5:03 PM
  • I have the same issue. I threw away the box and with it went the product key. The trash has been picked up already, of course. So what do I do?

Thursday, August 21, 2008 2:58 PM
  • Kathy, unfortunately the answer is the same for you - without the key you have no subscription. The retail CD will simply give you a trial install just like the download. The key must be used to activate - this is pretty normal for retail software purchases these days. See my previous reply for how to contact support, though I'm afraid that there may be nothing they can do for you.

-steve

Thursday, August 21, 2008 8:06 PM