move licence from destroyed computer RRS feed

• Question

• I have MS Office 2003 full retail edition which allows installation on two computers. 

I installed it on my desktop computer and also on my laptop.  The desktop computer motherboard failed and since it was an old PC, someone at work gave me a newer model from which they had previously uninstalled Office 2007 by arrangement.  I need therefore to install my Office 2003 on this replacement PC. 

If I try to validate the install with MS, will they allow it, or will they tell me I have already used up both installs?  

If I have already used up both installs, how do I notify MS that the previous PC has been destroyed? 

Saturday, October 24, 2009 5:06 PM

Answers

• Hello Kim Aku,

As a general rule, the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) for full retail licenses of Microsoft Office 2003 allows the license to be moved or transfered from one computer to another.  You can view the EULA for your installation of Office by clicking on Help>About and in the resultant window, click on the link to read your EULA.

Microsoft is notified of the move when the software is activated on the new computer. 
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 2:13 AM

All replies

• Hello Kim Aku,

As a general rule, the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) for full retail licenses of Microsoft Office 2003 allows the license to be moved or transfered from one computer to another.  You can view the EULA for your installation of Office by clicking on Help>About and in the resultant window, click on the link to read your EULA.

Microsoft is notified of the move when the software is activated on the new computer. 
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 2:13 AM
  • If this reply appears twice, please disregard the first appearance -- I voted on your previous reply before submitting it and the post disappeared so I'm re-writing it...

Many thanks for pointing me in the obvious direction -- very silly of me not to think of this for myself.

However, I'm still puzzled.  When I activated the new install, I just got an instant acknowledgement, but no request to confirm that the previous install no longer existed.   Same thing happened when I re-installed XP Pro on the newly formatted disk of my replacement computer (using the retail disk I'd used to upgrade previous (now junked) computer from Win2K).

So how does MS know the other installations are not still extant ?  And what does it take to arouse their suspicions ?

Please note that this question arises only out of curiosity about the validation process; it's doesn't indicate the hatching of a plot to install stuff on all my friends' PCs...

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 8:44 PM
  • Hello Kim Aku,

I do not know for sure, but I suspect that there is a lot of "fudge factor" built into the product activation system, in effect giving customers plenty of latitude when installing and moving Microsoft retail products, in order to minimize the hassle of having automatic online activations rejected and forcing the customer to do telephonic activations.

Hope that helps!
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 2:06 AM