Restoring my Netbook RRS feed

• Question

• I just recently bought a Acer Aspire One Netbook off TigerDirect.com and have loaded Windows 7 beta on it.  I am pretty sure the problem I am experiencing is not Windows 7 related.  Any way my Wireless Network card will drop my connection after about 2 minutes of use and then I have to reboot the machine to get it to come back.  I have read on several forums that this has been an issue with the Atheros Network cards. I called TigerDirect and they are going to ship me back a new Netbook unit. My question is can I use one of my WHS backups to restore the entire new Netbook back to where my bad Netbook is? All the hardware specs should be the exact same, just a differerent unit.

Thanks!
    -Scott
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 12:37 PM

All replies

• Hi Scott,
    it may be possible, but some considerations:
    • Restoring over a wireless connection is not supported.
    • Netbooks have no optical disk to boot the restore CD from.
    • On a system restored to other hardware product activation may kick in (if the Windows 7 Beta is the OS you wish to restore this may hurt, since this is a trial product wich may or may not allow reactivation on different machine).

Please also check the FAQ How to restore a client PC, if the network connection does not work. 

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 2:02 PM
  • Olef,

Thanks for the post. I would not be restoring this over a wireless connection.  The Netbook has a ethernet port which I woudl use. Also I will connect a USB CD Rom to the unit so I can run the CD. And I have not yet activated the Windows 7 Yet so I think I should be OK there.

I will see how things go.
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 6:44 PM