No network access after WHS installation RRS feed

• Question

• After I install WHS, I am unable to access any network resources from the server including websites. (This includes Windows Update.) I also cannot access the server from other machines on the network. The network adapter is detected and installed correctly. It gets its configuration via DHCP fine as well. I know the hardware works fine too. I have tried reinstalling WHS several times with different variations. I purchased a copy through Newegg that has PP1 already. I also tried the trial version that has PP3 already. The same thing happens with both. I was able to get the network access working once but I accidentally messed up the D: drive so I have to reinstall. I haven't been able to duplicate that install since. I am customizing the install discs with drivers needed for the machine I am using it in although when I try the none slipstreamed discs, it doesn't seem to matter. The machine I am using as the server is a Dell XPS400 Pentium D 3.4GHz, 2GB RAM, Highpoint RocketRAID 2300 SATA RAID controller, 4x Seagate 2TB hard drives. Thanks in advance for any help.

Ryan
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 6:05 AM

Answers

• Please open a command prompt on the server check the output of ipconfig /all and post it here.
    Can you ping a website by name/by IP address?
    You might also try another network cable/port on the switch/router.
    Is there any security suite installed on the server which might block the access?
    Is there any blocking configured in the router?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 3:23 PM
  • Hi Ryan,
    WHS doesn't do such stuff. But maybe the driver does?
    Olaf
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 8:30 PM
  • Hi Ryan,
    I have built a few servers with Intel onboard adapters and never seen an issue like this.
    As a shot in the blue: Maybe you have a second device in your network, which has an identical configuration, so that somehow two devices had the same MAC address causing the experienced issues.
    Olaf
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 10:04 PM

All replies

• Please open a command prompt on the server check the output of ipconfig /all and post it here.
    Can you ping a website by name/by IP address?
    You might also try another network cable/port on the switch/router.
    Is there any security suite installed on the server which might block the access?
    Is there any blocking configured in the router?
    Olaf

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 3:23 PM
  • I was not able to ping anything other than the loopback and the server's own IP address. I then realized that the MAC address of the network adapter was 00-00-00-00-00-00. (It is an integrated Intel PRO/1000PL NIC and I know it had a proper MAC before. I checked it again with a PXE boot and the MAC was not zeros.) I manually assigned a MAC address, rebooted and network access started working. Why would WHS assign a MAC address of all zeros? Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Ryan
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 7:48 PM
  • Hi Ryan,
    WHS doesn't do such stuff. But maybe the driver does?
    Olaf
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 8:30 PM
  • Hi Olaf,
    Thank you for your attention to my issue. I don't believe this is driver related as the same Intel driver pack is used for Windows XP which worked fine on this machine. (Vista and Windows 7 also worked fine.) In the device properties of the network adapter, the MAC address setting is called "Locally Administered Address." The default setting is "Not Present" which is what it was set to upon the completion of the installation. The MAC of all zeros was still assigned to the NIC for some reason. I have tried this with another Intel and 3Com card that I had laying around. The network access issue is the same. (I can provide a screenshot if that would be helpful.) This has me a bit concerned as I should not have to manually assign a MAC address.

Does anyone else have any ideas about what may be going on?

Thanks again,
    Ryan
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 1:20 AM
  • Hi Ryan,
    I have built a few servers with Intel onboard adapters and never seen an issue like this.
    As a shot in the blue: Maybe you have a second device in your network, which has an identical configuration, so that somehow two devices had the same MAC address causing the experienced issues.
    Olaf
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 10:04 PM