none
Need support for Nvidia Nforce Series RRS feed

• Question

• I am building a system with a Shuttle K45 and Windows Home Server.

I then starting messing around with WHS on Virtual PC to get a knack for it and to my horror it appears that my ONLY non WHS PC ( Nforce 790i Ultra ) is not supported by means of a working LAN driver.

Please fix this as this is not fair at all...how am I supposed to use WHS when my only non WHS system is this?
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 9:27 PM

Answers

• I still think you're having a problem with your virtual machine configuration.

Are you using Microsoft Virtual PC 2007, Microsoft Virtual Server, or a VMWare tool? Or something else? In Virtual PC, you would set the virtual machine's network adapter to the network adapter in the host computer. Then in the guest OS, it will show up as an "Intel 21140-based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter" which is about as generic as they come. :)

And no, Windows Home Server itself may not have a driver for the network adapter in your PC. You're expected to install your own if needed and (as a system builder) there's a presumption that you already know how to select hardware for compatibility and install drivers.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 3:05 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    how do you mean that your system is not supported?
    The OS on the client will have network support, I assume.
    Do you mean the restore CD? You should be able to get a network driver (maybe you have to use Vista drivers, since Vista PE is involved), which can be loaded via USB stick.
    If this fails, you may have to contact NVidia support.
    The other option is to have a second WHS client available and use it's facilities for restore.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 10:00 PM
  • With all due respect....that really did not help me......

Any other opinions???
    Monday, November 3, 2008 12:31 PM
  • Hi Adam,
    you should be aware, that it is not Microsofts job to develop and supply drivers for the hardware.
    If NVidia is not able or willing to supply compatible drivers for a Windows PE environment, it is their choice. And your choice was it to buy their hardware.

Other workarounds for this situation:
    Buy a compatible network adapter (these are not so expansive nowadays).
    Restore a backup of your OS partition (or install a second Windows) to a volume on a second disk in your client and make that bootable by its own (maybe using Bios features).
    This could allow you to boot into that recovery OS and use ClientRestoreWizard.exe from Program Files\Windows Home Server (given the Connector software is installed on that second OS as well).
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, November 3, 2008 3:28 PM
  • I understand that it is not your job....but you could have add least added a native driver or something.

Is there a driver that I can use that I may not be aware of that will fix this problem?  I tried drivers from Nvidia and the source company and nothing works,  and a replacement card with gigabit costs $60CDN!!!

Maybe I should go with Linux........
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 12:49 PM
  • Adam McDougall said:

I am building a system with a Shuttle K45 and Windows Home Server.

I then starting messing around with WHS on Virtual PC to get a knack for it and to my horror it appears that my ONLY non WHS PC ( Nforce 790i Ultra ) is not supported by means of a working LAN driver.

Please fix this as this is not fair at all...how am I supposed to use WHS when my only non WHS system is this?

It's not clear to me from this thread what your issue is, exactly? Is it that there's no native driver for your client PC on the Restore CD? If so, you should take a look at the Home Computer Backup technical brief. Starting on page 17 it tells you how to extract drivers from a computer backup to use with the Restore CD.

Tuesday, November 4, 2008 4:23 PM
  • hmm...maybe I was a bit unclear.

My Shuttle PC is waiting for a CPU.  So to get familier with WHS I download Virtual PC from Microsoft.  I loaded and installed WHS on the Virtual PC.  It appeared to be going well...until it complained that it could not connect to the net.  I looked and found that it had no lan driver for my EVGA Nforce 790i Ultra.  Upon discovering this I looked to EVGA, Nvidia and even hacked drivers and none worked.  hence my questions here.

When I finsih getting parts for my Shuttle k45 it will have WHS on it.  However my main concern is this.....if the main OS does not have working drivers for a Nforce board......how will the shuttle back up my files and will the recovery CD that comes with WHS be able to recognize my LAN?

Understand now?

Sure there are workarounds....but why should I spend MORE money a Lan card and use up a precious PCI slot when I feel that there should have been drivers in the first place?  not trying to be rude but I am sure that if you were in my position that you would feel the same.
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 9:20 PM
  • If I understand correctly, you can't get networking to work on your WHS running in a virtual environment? Running WHS in a virtual environment is unsupported, but there's no reason why it shouldn't work. In fact I do it all the time when I'm testing something that I know is likely to mess up my server. In the virtual environment, WHS should see your (virtualized/bridged) network adapter as a fairly generic NIC that it already has drivers for. If it's Virtual PC that's not seeing your network adapter, this isn't the right place to ask for assistance. In that case, you might want to try the Virtual PC newsgroup.

As for how you would be able to back up or restore computers, backup will use the (running) drivers. The restore CD will use built-in drivers if available. If there are none built in, you will need to copy to flash drive or other media a folder that WHS creates in every backup it takes that contains all the critical drivers for your computer. The Home Computer Backup technical brief has some additional information about that.

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 11:30 PM
  • Then why is it called it a Nforce instead of a Generic?  No I think that is going STRAIGHT to the motherboard and is not being virtual at all.
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 12:41 AM
  • I still think you're having a problem with your virtual machine configuration.

Are you using Microsoft Virtual PC 2007, Microsoft Virtual Server, or a VMWare tool? Or something else? In Virtual PC, you would set the virtual machine's network adapter to the network adapter in the host computer. Then in the guest OS, it will show up as an "Intel 21140-based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter" which is about as generic as they come. :)

And no, Windows Home Server itself may not have a driver for the network adapter in your PC. You're expected to install your own if needed and (as a system builder) there's a presumption that you already know how to select hardware for compatibility and install drivers.

Thursday, November 6, 2008 3:05 AM