none
Remote access problem "certificate not valid" RRS feed

• Question

• Since last Monday I had problems with the WHS. At first the service of MS was down and I did not recognize that this was the main reason. I tried to reconfigure the remote access with no success. On Wednesday the service was available and it was possible for me to reconfigure the remote access. It seems that everything works fine.
    Today I tried to access to the homeserver from remote and I get everytime something like "no valid certificate". I had seen that in Firefox I had the possibility to change the validation of certificates but this could not be a solution because in most cases other users had the default options and cant recognize what happens.
    Till last saturday everything works fine and nobody of us has any problems with the remote access.
    Therefore I am asking if there is any possibilty to get a "valid certificate" so that the remote access will work as last week?

I hope that somebody have a solution for me.
    Peter
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 11:46 PM

All replies

• Since last Monday I had problems with the WHS. At first the service of MS was down and I did not recognize that this was the main reason. I tried to reconfigure the remote access with no success. On Wednesday the service was available and it was possible for me to reconfigure the remote access. It seems that everything works fine.
    Today I tried to access to the homeserver from remote and I get everytime something like "no valid certificate". I had seen that in Firefox I had the possibility to change the validation of certificates but this could not be a solution because in most cases other users had the default options and cant recognize what happens.
    Till last saturday everything works fine and nobody of us has any problems with the remote access.
    Therefore I am asking if there is any possibilty to get a "valid certificate" so that the remote access will work as last week?

Peter

Have you tried completely disabling Remote Access through the Console, waiting a little while (perhaps an hour or two), then start over from scratch?
    Friday, November 13, 2009 12:15 AM
  • When the service was down from Mo-Tue, it took about 3 days (I tried it on Wed) and afterwards it look that everything is working.
    Testing it on Thursday I had this problem. I "configured" it once more, but I did not wait "a little while".
    I will try your suggestion this night and disabling the remote access and start in the morning the reconfiguration.
    I will see if it works.

Best regards
    Peter
    Friday, November 13, 2009 1:19 AM
  • Now I have waited for 6 hours and I have followed your suggestions:
    step 1 starting the configuration and give the domain name free --> domain name not configured
    step 2 disabling the remote access
    step 3 power off the server

step 4 waiting for about 6 hours

step 5 starting the server
    step 6 enabling the remote access (program automatically configures router UPNP --> everything is merked as green)
    step 7 defining the domain (out of the list, server knows his "old name")
    step 8 finishing with ok

During all steps no errors occur but the result is the same. It is not possible to access to the server with the  standard seetings of Internet Explorer or Firefox.

Its the same the message (is a german version): "Fehlercode: sec_error_revoked_certificate"

Whats does the program "ServerCerts.exe". Is this a possibility to get a valid certificate (or to syncronize it)? Or is there any other solution to get this certificate.

Best regards
    Peter
    Friday, November 13, 2009 8:43 AM

Peter

Have you tried completely disabling Remote Access through the Console, waiting a little while (perhaps an hour or two), then start over from scratch?

Because I did not studied the board rules and I dont know if you only get the information when I am using the "Quote functionality" here once again:
    Please have a look below.

Best regards
    Peter

Friday, November 13, 2009 10:26 AM
  • Peter,

We'd like to take a look at your server logs to better understand what is happening.  Could you please use the following link to submit a bug, and be sure to use the Windows Home Server Toolkit to send us a CAB file containing your server logs?

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/CreateFeedbackForm.aspx?FeedbackFormConfigurationID=3520&FeedbackType=1

Thanks
    - Adam
    Monday, November 16, 2009 3:38 AM
  • Peter,

We'd like to take a look at your server logs to better understand what is happening.  Could you please use the following link to submit a bug, and be sure to use the Windows Home Server Toolkit to send us a CAB file containing your server logs?

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/CreateFeedbackForm.aspx?FeedbackFormConfigurationID=3520&FeedbackType=1

Thanks
    - Adam

Hello Adam,
    I tried to follow the link to upload the logs of the WHS nut it does not work (I hava already registered myself).
    When I am cling on the link I am getting only the information that the page not found ("Seite nicht gefunden"),
    but I see the welcome message: "Willkommen pege100"

Can you give me an suggestion how I should handle it?

Best regards
    Peter
    Monday, November 16, 2009 11:32 AM
  • Hi Peter,
    It looks like you may have a mandetory survey to complete before you can get access to the CAB instructions.  If you go to the main home server connect site http://connect.microsoft.com/windowshomeserver and then scroll to the bottom of the page you should see an article entitled "Obtaining a CAB number using the Windows Home Server Toolkit". I have copied the first few paragraphs of that article below, to get you started.

Obtaining a CAB Number using Windows Home Server Toolkit

In order to obtain a CAB Number, you need to install the Windows Home Server Toolkit on both your home server and your home computers running the Connector software.  Below are step-by-step instructions on how to install the Windows Home Server Toolkit, and how to obtain CAB numbers:

Installing the Windows Home Server Toolkit & Home Server Add-In

The toolkit can be downloaded from here:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=98601

x64  toolkit can be downloaded from here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=8C536513-E0BC-4594-86B2-E65C6ED809B6&displaylang=en

A manual for the toolkit with additional options you can try is located here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=D6B60E67-4CC8-49F0-BEFF-A2556881E4BF&displaylang=en

If you still have difficulty, instead of creating a CAB, it is possible to gather the logs on your server and attach them to your connect bug.  You can go this by zipping up all the files at the following location:

Server logs:         
    %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

Hope that is helpful
    -Jonas

Jonas Svensson [MSFT] Windows Home Server Community Program Manager
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Monday, November 16, 2009 3:10 PM
  • Hi Peter,
    It looks like you may have a mandetory survey to complete before you can get access to the CAB instructions.  If you go to the main home server connect site http://connect.microsoft.com/windowshomeserver and then scroll to the bottom of the page you should see an article entitled "Obtaining a CAB number using the Windows Home Server Toolkit". I have copied the first few paragraphs of that article below, to get you started.

In order to obtain a CAB Number, you need to install the Windows Home Server Toolkit on both your home server and your home computers running the Connector software.  Below are step-by-step instructions on how to install the Windows Home Server Toolkit, and how to obtain CAB numbers:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=8C536513-E0BC-4594-86B2-E65C6ED809B6&displaylang=en

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=D6B60E67-4CC8-49F0-BEFF-A2556881E4BF&displaylang=en

If you still have difficulty, instead of creating a CAB, it is possible to gather the logs on your server and attach them to your connect bug.  You can go this by zipping up all the files at the following location:

Server logs:          
    %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

Hope that is helpful
    -Jonas

Windows Home Server

Hi Jonas,

I had installed the Toolkit and also read the documentation. After several times of trying to send a CAB File (I got back every time -1 as CAB No. and this I could not believe) I tried to follow your suggestions with the zip file but I could not do an upload of the zip file before I was an active member in the "connect home server community" (I did not recognize that you can beregistered without beeing an active member in the homeserver comminity and then the CAB, link will not work). After that it was possible to get a valid CAB No. and it was also possible to use the link Adam sent to me.
    The CAB No. is now 733866774 and I posted it as a feedback to the connect people.
    The connect ID is 511086
    I hope the "support team" gives me a response what really happens, because I also checkd with IIS service manager the certificate and found it as a valid certificate.
    I am waiting to the response they give to me and post it afterwards.

Best regards from Vienna
    Peter
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 12:09 AM
  • Hi Peter,

Server logs:          

Hope that is helpful
    -Jonas

Windows Home Server

Hi Jonas,

I had installed the Toolkit and also read the documentation. After several times of trying to send a CAB File (I got back every time -1 as CAB No. and this I could not believe) I tried to follow your suggestions with the zip file but I could not do an upload of the zip file before I was an active member in the "connect home server community" (I did not recognize that you can beregistered without beeing an active member in the homeserver comminity and then the CAB, link will not work). After that it was possible to get a valid CAB No. and it was also possible to use the link Adam sent to me.
    The CAB No. is now 733866774 and I posted it as a feedback to the connect people.
    The connect ID is 511086
    I hope the "support team" gives me a response what really happens, because I also checkd with IIS service manager the certificate and found it as a valid certificate.
    I am waiting to the response they give to me and post it afterwards.

Best regards from Vienna
    Peter

Until now I had no reponse from the developer team "connect". In the meantime something that makes it perhaps easier to find out whats happens for the support team.

I found something that could be used as a "half work arround" which does not solve the problem but makes the server available for persons who are not common with IE8 settings or Firefox Settings (like Validation off in Firefox; would be the better work around; but on my opinion it should be used carfully and only temporary).
    I used a new Domain Name and I was surprised that everything is working as it should. Therefore I thought I can go back to the original name, waiting a while (Kariya suggested it to be shure that the domain name is really released; I waited the whole night :-) ) and reconfigured the server back to the original domain name. But in this case the results are the same as before: "sec_error_revoked_certificate".
    I am interpreting this result that there is a bug in the procedure of releasing a domain name and the server or Mirosoft stores the certificate information and do not really release it.
     At the moment I am working with the new domain name, but I would really like to switch back to the original domain name.

Best regards
    Peter
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 2:12 PM