MCTS 70-680 vs. MCITP 70-686 -- EDITED RRS feed

• Question

• I've been working with Windows since 3.1, and now am using 7. I'm told that I should be certified for Windows 7. I've chosen to purchase the MCTS book from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0735627088/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller= and am planning to use Prometric to sit for the actual exam. There's a location near my home at which they administer/proctor the exam.

Being my first time doing this, does this sound reasonable, or am I missing anything?

Thank you in advance for your response!

imgain

Friday, March 19, 2010 6:30 PM

Answers

• Have you ever written a Microsoft certification exam in the past?

Reading the self paced training kit alone is not enough to pass a certification exam. It sounds like you have quite a bit of experience though. Be sure to read carefully the skills being measured section on the Microsoft Learning site for that exam (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-680#tab2)

Make sure you have done each of these things and have enough experience with them. Set up a virtual environment and go through each area IN DETAIL.

Self-Test software and MeasureUp both ahve practise tests that will tell you if you are ready or not, but don't use them as study tools, that's not what they are.

Hope that helps, and good luck!!

• Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Friday, March 26, 2010 4:38 PM
    Friday, March 19, 2010 9:28 PM
  • Hi Imgain,

You've got it spot on, mate. You buy the study guide and when you think you're ready you book in for your exam. Simple!

Passing the exams is not always straight forward though, I just bought the training kit for the 70-622 and found out that the kit was not enough to pass the exam.

The guys who wrote the 70-680 are good though. I passed the Vista:70-620 with the kit alone in 6 weeks.

I've just bought the 70-680 also. I advise looking for podcasts, webcasts, virtual labs and practical exercises yourself on a home/work PC or a virtual machine.

Good Luck and post back here when you pass.

Monday, March 22, 2010 12:03 AM

All replies

• Have you ever written a Microsoft certification exam in the past?

Reading the self paced training kit alone is not enough to pass a certification exam. It sounds like you have quite a bit of experience though. Be sure to read carefully the skills being measured section on the Microsoft Learning site for that exam (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-680#tab2)

Make sure you have done each of these things and have enough experience with them. Set up a virtual environment and go through each area IN DETAIL.

Self-Test software and MeasureUp both ahve practise tests that will tell you if you are ready or not, but don't use them as study tools, that's not what they are.

Hope that helps, and good luck!!

Friday, March 19, 2010 9:28 PM
  • Hi Imgain,

You've got it spot on, mate. You buy the study guide and when you think you're ready you book in for your exam. Simple!

Passing the exams is not always straight forward though, I just bought the training kit for the 70-622 and found out that the kit was not enough to pass the exam.

The guys who wrote the 70-680 are good though. I passed the Vista:70-620 with the kit alone in 6 weeks.

I've just bought the 70-680 also. I advise looking for podcasts, webcasts, virtual labs and practical exercises yourself on a home/work PC or a virtual machine.

Good Luck and post back here when you pass.

Monday, March 22, 2010 12:03 AM
  • Hey, imgain: I'm in the same boat you are: long experience, no certification. How did it go? What did you learn?

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 9:02 PM
  • I recently passed my 70-680 exam and decided to take on the 70-686 exam and after reading about half of the training kit for 70-686, I found alot of things  that were on the 70-680 exam so I strongly recommend reading both the 70-680 and the 70-686 training kits.

Good luck!

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 12:45 PM