A good free Anti-Virus and SpyWare remover RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, i'm new to this forum and would like to ask a few questions. I don't tottaly understand how PC's work.

I've had Norton AV for almost a year, and when my subscription runs out i wanna use a free AV. I also have SpyBot(free) and Ad-Aware SE(full)

Their are alot of AV programs out there, but which one will work the best and keep me save from viruses, i heard AVG was a good one.   Same with Spyware, but i think my Ad-aware might be pretty good.

I've heard of people using free AV and saying it's much better then Norton, but i'm very confused on the idea of which one to get, or which one will work, and what programs i will need to fully protect my PC.

I'm wondering this because before i got my new harddrive my PC pretty much died in 1 year, without AV software and so on.

• Moved by Kenneth Lee Tuesday, June 28, 2011 1:48 AM not relevant (From:Anti-virus/Anti-spam)
    Saturday, January 27, 2007 7:06 PM

All replies

• In terms of FREE AV software, you should really give AVG Free a try. I recommend it to all my clients and run it on my own computer: http://www.free.grisoft.com/doc/1

They also have an awesome FREE anti-spyware, although I personally trust SpyBot more (Totally based on Free Software and has always detected more than AdAware. Which by the way, SpyBot sees as spyware!). Also, cleaning many computers in my day with AdAware installed, AdAware has said 'nothing' was detected and upon installing SpyBot, I have seen as many as 42 spyware/malware infections!

With Norton, on most computers, it takes up a large portion of your hardware to run in the background. AVG Free is much less hardware intensive, auto updates, gives you an email scanner compatible with Outook Express and Outlook AND gives you real-time protection: Meaning it will intercept known viruses the second they try to come onto your computer.

• Proposed as answer by bddrobertson Friday, September 11, 2009 3:32 AM
    Sunday, January 28, 2007 3:06 AM
  • Thanks for the info. Makes me feel alot better about those, thanks!

I also have another question, how much better are AV programs (full) then the AV (free) programs, specificly AVG.

• Proposed as answer by Kristain Hayes Thursday, June 10, 2010 7:00 AM
    Sunday, January 28, 2007 3:19 AM
  • Really, if you are only using this on a home computer or laptop, the features you receive with the full version you will probably never use: i.e. 24/7 tech support, theability to schedule multiple scans, personal firewall and a handful of other features. The qualty of virus protection is no different with the free or full version.

On the flip side, I do believe it is important to make sure these developers are supported financially as they DO provide their time and resources to keep us protected. If you can afford it, purchasing the full version helps to make sure the free version will be available today and into the future. (ALWAYS thank them, as well, when you get a chance.)

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 4:10 PM
  • I would suggest searching the net for comparisons between desktop AV solutions.  Important factors in rating this class of software are
    - response time to new threats (how soon after a malware is released you get protected)
    - how well the zero-day protection works (heuristics in the AV engine)
    - impact on computer performance and reliability
    - the rest of the bells and whistles are really less important.  the ideal AV software stays hidden in the tray bar and you never get to see its UI...

Of course you are encouraged to take a look at Microsoft OneCare :o)

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 1:29 AM
  • Thanks! I'll probably use Microsoft OneCare, seeing it's from Microsoft, i know it should be good.
    Wednesday, January 31, 2007 10:14 PM
  • hey herd your new at pcs well i have some good info for you first nortan sucks its still vulnurbal to virus and malware. the serurity program i use is mcafee and it is grate but you still have to pay but it has the lastest protecdtion for your pc. do not download free sercurity programs because it could crash your pc. some programs that contain this are spydoctor, but i am not going to name them all but hears a site that will give you a free site advisor that tells you if its safe to enter it before you do red means bad, green good, yellow be carful. if you ask me i would switch to mcafee. go to this site to get your free site advisory http://www.mcafee.com/us/ 

have eney more questions email me at joshua_boulanger@yahoo.com

hope you listen and hurray before your pc's at risk.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 7:42 PM
  • hey i need to know how to down load the antispy stuff if i find any new to saving my computer.i would appreciate a detailed information where it goes and where to find it 
    whatspatrickdoin@yahoo.com
    Wednesday, July 11, 2007 8:11 PM
  •  

In addition to NAV corporate, I install Windows Defender on all PCs.  It automatically updates and scans by itself.  I have not seen hardly any spyware problems once I installed Defender.  Any opinions on Defender??
    Wednesday, August 8, 2007 1:33 PM
  •  

well defender is good i mean i have it also but if you want a good AV then download spyware doctorunlike avast! spyware doctor was able to find trojans,spyware and cookies avast! couldnt pick up.
    Sunday, September 30, 2007 6:01 PM
  • I have used Norton and McAfee, because as a new computer owner long ago they were considered the holy grail (esp.Norton). I too got tired of the rising cost of yearly AV purchasing. I did some research, and tried two of them. Hands-down I LOVE AVAST by Alwil. It has won many awards (see sites like PC Magazine and CNet.) I am thrilled with it. I also have Spybot and am very happy with it; however a free registry scan turned up all kinds of spyware and adware. I read a post somewhere by a man who was very knowledgeable about software, and he recommended having SEVERAL different anti-spyware. I added Spyware Doctor and am thrilled. You can't use 2 different antivirus programs, but you can have several anti-spyware programs. I am in the process of looking for more to add. Just pay attention to your firewall settings and browser settings. I love Internet Explorer 7, but hate that you have to enable cookies. Since my email addresses are either hotmail or msn, I had to do it rather than give them up. Hope this helps.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 8:15 PM
  •  

Sunday, February 17, 2008 7:59 PM
  • An ever better solution would be to switch to a Mac
    No more virus problems (and not just virus... no more problems, period!)

-------
    Roberto Franceschetti
    http://www.logsat.com
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 11:52 PM
  • According to my sources and experience, Avira Antivir Personal Edition is highly recommended as a powerful completely free security solution due to its high detection rate, heuristics scanning capability, frequent updates and fast reliable virus scans. The program also does not hog up too much system resources and is even only around 20MB in download size. I've been using this free version for sometimes and I have to say that I am very pleased with it. The software auto-updates itself and is also proven to have no compatibility issues with any other security apps so you can rest assured that your computer is always protected at the maximum level. Last but not least, it has an auto-guard function that continously scans your computer for possible infection which is essential as malicious software are created everyday.

Other recommendations:

AVG Free Edition

Alwil Avast! Home Edition

For firewalls, I highly suggest you to try using Comodo Pro Firewall - a robust and completely free firewall software that offers users protection of a world-class commercial security application. The firewall ranks #1 in many tests made on credible security software testing sites and saved my systems many times with its effective Defense+ system. The program also lets you customize your firewall policies and thus, maximize the safety of your computer. 

Other recommendations:

Online Armor Free

Kaspersky software integrated firewall (Not free)

Nod32 integrated firewall (Not free)

For 100% free of charge anti-spywares, Spyware Blaster and Spyware Terminator are the perfect combination of spyware scanning and immunization. Regularly update them and you can sure your system is safely guarded against almost all dangerous spywares and adwares.

I believe we don't want to waste too much time on protecting our computer rather than using it so I've selected only the best ones even thou there are many more on the list. I hope this can be of some help to all of you guys~

GL n thanks

Sources: http://www.matousec.com/projects/firewall-challenge/; http://www.av-comparatives.org/

Monday, May 5, 2008 1:51 PM
  • Went to the above link & followed the trail it led me on. Wound up on Download.com. Tried to download Free version & was informed that some installation files are corrupt & to please download a fresh copy & try again. Tried that over & over with same results. Help.

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 4:32 PM
  • For maximum protection, consider installing
    a comprehensive anti-virus/security program, such as
    Windows OneCare.  You can try it FREE for 90 days.
    http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/default.htm

• Proposed as answer by Chuck JE Sunday, September 13, 2009 8:35 PM
    Wednesday, June 4, 2008 9:02 PM
  •  

hi,,,,

I think that U are confused.... don't belive in fake matter 

1. go to - www.microsoft.com and search security and anti-virus detail.

2. go to - www.avast.com and download complete free antivirus for complete security.

3. don't belive in other free spyware or adware type of antivirus.

4. then use Ccleaner or glary utility for cleaning junk data.

5. Scan all type of CD, DVD, Pen drive, Software, any type of external media before use.

6. Enjoy !!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Monday, July 7, 2008 9:15 AM
  • avg was recomended to me some time ago i am pleased to say not got a problem.i had norton before that but i left my subscriptions to run over and it played havoc with my computer.so avg is the one for me.(its peace of mind).

Friday, July 11, 2008 6:38 PM
  • Antivirus and Internet Security have a little difference b/w them.

I have used almost all products.

I have found NONE the best. Norton meets up everything but still misses something.

Norton is good in Security but it has large update files but is the best from all the others.

Live One Care shows a lot of errors when installed. It never updates itself and propmts you to backup data.

Grisoft AVG keeps on updating. The new version will update everytime you switch on Windows and the older version required a restart to update. Damnnnnnnnn

Computer Associates invites all the viruses for a date on your PC.

Panda won't let you do anything. The moment you run a program, it will blow a pop up.

McAfee is still better but it also displays many errors.

Avast "The tiniest of 'em all" will scan your PC, detect many errors and will say " RISK COULD NOT BE REMOVED"

TrendMicro is also a very good program but it takes a lot of time to load itself and scan files.

NORTON will never let any risk to enter your system.

So, i would suggest everyone that Norton is the best, 2nd is A.V.G and then comes McAfee.

Saturday, July 19, 2008 3:47 PM
  •  Spocktx wrote:
    Went to the above link & followed the trail it led me on. Wound up on Download.com. Tried to download Free version & was informed that some installation files are corrupt & to please download a fresh copy & try again. Tried that over & over with same results. Help.

plz download free Antivirus

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 1:16 PM
  •  Spocktx wrote:
    Went to the above link & followed the trail it led me on. Wound up on Download.com. Tried to download Free version & was informed that some installation files are corrupt & to please download a fresh copy & try again. Tried that over & over with same results. Help.

plz download free Antivirus

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 1:16 PM
  • Thursday, July 31, 2008 1:50 PM
  • If you decide to go with AVG or Avast, which I believe uses less of your CPU, allowing your applications to work faster without freezing up, please download Norton's uninstall program.  It works a lot better than just using 'add/remove program'.  It is called Norton Removal Tool.

Peter Thomas

Quantum PC Repair

Harwich MA

Friday, August 1, 2008 1:50 AM
  • HI my name is ernest c troy and i have a problem with my pc it has virsus on it and it blanks to a blue screen and rebots its self. I am scared i might be puting my pc in danger to were it will be damage for good. Defender Pro refered me to yall i hope you can help me am runninng out of options i tried the others but nothing i hope you can help me .  

Saturday, August 16, 2008 5:44 PM
  • Hi my name is ernest c troy and i need a good free anti virus and spyware remover.

Saturday, August 16, 2008 5:49 PM
  •  Minigoliath wrote:

According to my sources and experience, Avira Antivir Personal Edition is highly recommended as a powerful completely free security solution due to its high detection rate, heuristics scanning capability, frequent updates and fast reliable virus scans. The program also does not hog up too much system resources and is even only around 20MB in download size. I've been using this free version for sometimes and I have to say that I am very pleased with it. The software auto-updates itself and is also proven to have no compatibility issues with any other security apps so you can rest assured that your computer is always protected at the maximum level. Last but not least, it has an auto-guard function that continously scans your computer for possible infection which is essential as malicious software are created everyday.

Other recommendations:

AVG Free Edition

Alwil Avast! Home Edition

e slee

For firewalls, I highly suggest you to try using Comodo Pro Firewall - a robust and completely free firewall software that offers users protection of a world-class commercial security application. The firewall ranks #1 in many tests made on credible security software testing sites and saved my systems many times with its effective Defense+ system. The program also lets you customize your firewall policies and thus, maximize the safety of your computer. 

Other recommendations:

Online Armor Free

Kaspersky software integrated firewall (Not free)

Nod32 integrated firewall (Not free)

For 100% free of charge anti-spywares, Spyware Blaster and Spyware Terminator are the perfect combination of spyware scanning and immunization. Regularly update them and you can sure your system is safely guarded against almost all dangerous spywares and adwares.

I believe we don't want to waste too much time on protecting our computer rather than using it so I've selected only the best ones even thou there are many more on the list. I hope this can be of some help to all of you guys~

GL n thanks

Sources: http://www.matousec.com/projects/firewall-challenge/; http://www.av-comparatives.org/

Friday, October 3, 2008 6:48 AM
  •  NewtoComputers wrote:

Hi, i'm new to this forum and would like to ask a few questions. I don't tottaly understand how PC's work.

I've had Norton AV for almost a year, and when my subscription runs out i wanna use a free AV. I also have SpyBot(free) and Ad-Aware SE(full)

Their are alot of AV programs out there, but which one will work the best and keep me save from viruses, i heard AVG was a good one.   Same with Spyware, but i think my Ad-aware might be pretty good.

I've heard of people using free AV and saying it's much better then Norton, but i'm very confused on the idea of which one to get, or which one will work, and what programs i will need to fully protect my PC.

I'm wondering this because before i got my new harddrive my PC pretty much died in 1 year, without AV software and so on.

Thursday, November 6, 2008 8:28 AM

• Ccleaner from Piriform, has a great registry cleaner that will eliminate bad registry value. That are potentially harmful to your system.

It is free, easy to use and a small download. That will keep your system clean of any files that are not needed on your computer. Malware Free!! as well...
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 9:20 PM
  • For a Good free antivirus

Install Threat Fire Security Soft
    PC Tools Threat Fire is PC Magazine Editor's choice anti-virus that is most effective.

ThreatFire's patent-pending ActiveDefense
    technology offers protection against all types of internet threats - both known and unknown - spyware, adware, keyloggers, viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkits, buffer overflows, and other malware.
    http://darfuns.com/download-threat-fire/index.html

and the free Anti Spyware
    Install Super Anti Spyware
    it is a most populer and usefull spyware removal program that blockes and deletes spywares,adwares, malwares and other worms from your pc
    http://darfuns.com/download-super-anti-spyware/
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 4:31 AM
  •  One effective freeware for spyware and adware protection is being run on 7 beta now as it has been on XP and Vista. The free program called Spyware Terminator has performed quite well along with seeing a shield placed around the system registry much like a firewall.  http://www.spywareterminator.com/

The free version of AVG 8.0 would usually be advised for antivirus except for some problems being seen over the last few months with the latest 8.0 build mentioned now seeing additional malware/IE protection added in with a toolbar option. The initial run on 7 however saw an immediate lock up. Hopefully the next build will see the necessary corrections there.
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 2:45 AM
  • Hi;

A comment for those of you thinking of using OneCare: I've subscribed to it for nearly 3 years, or near the beginning. However, it will not yet work with Windows 7 and I have OneCare version 2. A box  of about 4x1 1/2 inches says that OneCare often appears on screen saying that OneCare will not work. after I wrote the OneCare people I got an email that the problem has Error Code 0x80240003. I sure would have thought that since they are both part of Microsoft that the problem would have been addressed before the Beta release.

Incidentally the only other problems I've had with Windows 7 is that my Pinnacle PCTV tuner software rather otten comes up with a notice of "Unhandled Exception" and locks everything down to where the only escape is to restart the computer with the power button. After that I usually;;y do a fresh download, removal and then reinstallation and that will get it to work for an indefinite time. I'm also have a hard time installing a new Sandblaster titanium sound card - it just doesn't seem that the whole software package wants to get installed. Also IE8 shuts down and presents the offer to restart but it hasn't yet done that. On the whole, though, I am very happy with Windows 7.

Sunday, January 25, 2009 8:03 AM
  • I've been through nearly 9 AV softwares including Norton, AVG, Kaspersky, Quick Heal and Mc Afee. The one I consider the best is NOD32. It doesn't eat up resources and if updated regularly, you can rest assured your system is virus free. It has an out of the world file checking system that verifies every download on the go. I was once recommended ZoneAlarm by a buddy. ZA eats up every possible inch of available resource and keeps scanning unnecessarily. A strict no-no for anyone who needs a fairly speedy computer.

As far as the firewall is concerned, I use Windows Defender. I rate it absolutely at the top. But the Windows One Live Care is not recommended.  

Friday, January 30, 2009 5:59 AM
  • hi,

I use nod32 AV for my servers and smart security for clients. my systems are glade using it :))

for a long time I used mcafee and we were not glade usin it and then we changed our AV software to Nod32.

but for servers for example exchange server 2007 you can use ForeFront Security for Exchange and Exchange's antispam features.

and for the client security ForeFront Client Security is very useful... 
    System & Network Support Specialist - Bursa / TURKEY
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 10:56 AM
  • That's not always true.

Thanks Faiz Farazi MCDBA,MCSA
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 2:55 PM
  • AVG's free software is quite good.

Andrew Sword, MVP
    Friday, July 3, 2009 8:17 AM
  • listen earlier in the txt i said nortan was a suckie program but as of 2009 there the best antivirus you can get always stick wid symantec its worth it i myself hav nortan endpoint protection and  not one thing has goten by it but i say Mcafee dose lack some protection so stick wid nortan
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 3:39 AM
  • NO ARE YOU CRASY YOU MUST BE KNEW NEVER USE MICROSOFT ANTIVIRUS IT SUKS AND IT IS A WASTE OF MONEY JUST GO OUT AND BUY SYMANTEC/NORTAN SERCURITY
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 3:41 AM
  • NO ARE YOU CRASY YOU MUST BE KNEW NEVER USE MICROSOFT ANTIVIRUS IT SUKS AND IT IS A WASTE OF MONEY JUST GO OUT AND BUY SYMANTEC/NORTAN SERCURITY
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 3:43 AM
  • tht is ____ free program tht accutally embeds your infomation to there company have you ever got a tracking cookie or spyware gurantee you recived it from there
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 3:47 AM
  • A very interesting new AV is the Microsoft Security Essentials. the reviews rate it as very good. It updates several times a day. So far it has alerted me several times. The only problem is that is that it is still in the Beta stage. M/S only released 75,000 downloads and of course they are all gone I feel fortunate to be one of those. So what you'll have to do is watch the M/S blog to find out when it will be mainlined. I have W7 and it doesn't slow things down at all.
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 4:54 AM
  • I used OneCare for better than 3 years and it seemed to do very well. The only problem is that it is no longer supported at all. in its place you can now find M/S Security Essentials. I makes only slight demands on the system, and has 2 or # Auto updates each day. It has found several things that I needed to be warned about and removing them was simplicity itself.The reviews of it thus far have been uniformly positive. The only problem is that It is still in the Beta phase, and M/S only released 75,000 copies for now. Supposedly it will be fully released by the end of the year. So far I am thoroughly happy with it. Together with the protections afforded by IE8 and also by the frequent updates for Office 2007, especially Outlook I feel that I am quite adequately protected. Now if October 22 will just hurry up and get here so that I can get the full version of Windows 7 I think that I'll be in a very satisfactory condition. You might want to keep up with the presentations on the Windows blog to find out when Security Essentials will be fully released. I think that you'll be very happy with it.
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 7:01 PM
  • hi there. i found that if you go to download.com and click on download glary utilities, it really gives you good protection. It is a small program and works fast. with the free version, it is manual, but it has a quick one click maintenance button. Also download smart defrag, and antimalaware; the 3 of these things are UNLIMITED, which means that there is no trial period.
    Friday, September 11, 2009 3:37 AM
  • Hi, What I was that Windows Live OneCare is now a thing of the past. From the same people, though , you might want to check out M/S Security Essentials. At the moment it si in the Beta stage and the initial 75,000 systems offered didn't las long. However it shouldn't be all that long till the final edition is released, and then it will surely be worth checking out. It is a free system which Microsoft Updates at least several times a day and the ratings of the tests so far have been highly laudatory. There are systems that do full scans a bit faster, but Security Essentials is designed so that at times of high processor activity its' activity is curtailed. I was one of the lucky ones to get one of the first 75,000 and I'll have to say that I am very impressed with it. It stays about as up to date as is possible and has caught several dubious intrusions. It doesn't seem to slow down the computer noticeably. The updates come via the Windows Update system. The only thing I've noticed that might be questionable is that for each update a new restore point is made, and so far I've got more than a 24" monitor's page full of listed updates. It is supposed to work with XP Sp2, Vista, and now works very nicely with Windows 7. I don't believe that it is yet supported for any non-Microsoft systems. 
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 8:54 PM
  • Try this website: http://www.itopsoft.com/ you will find what you want.

Monday, December 21, 2009 3:28 AM
  • yes, agree with you,, i've been using Ccleaner for almost 2years and works great...
    Ccleaner has multi-functions, useful for cleaning your IE items, Windows (recents doc, start menu, etc) system (empty recycle bin, clipboard, etc), unused and bad registry and other features like uninstal application and monitor your startup programs. Irecommend this app.

harry
    kerja keras adalah energi kita

Wednesday, December 23, 2009 1:58 PM
  • Hi, I wrote back in September that OneCare was pretty good, but now i can say that there is a much better option, and that is Microsoft Security Essentials. It is also free, and the ratings since version 2 have rated it as very near the top in performance. It updates at least a couple of times a day and that is done through Auto Update, which I would assume that you have enabled. Give it a try and I'm sure youll be pleased. Ther only problem is that ti only works with Windows. 
    Monday, December 28, 2009 6:48 AM
  • Hi,

Here is what I use and recommend :

Avast and Prevx have proven extremely reliable and compatible with everything I have thrown at them.
    Microsoft Security Essentials and Prevx have also proven to be very reliable and compatible.

Avast Home Free - stop any shields you do not need except leave Standard, Web, and Network running.

Prevx - Home - Free

Windows Firewall

Windows Defender (not needed if using MSE)

IE - Protected Mode

IE 8 - SmartScreen Filter ON  (IE 7 Phishing Filter)

I also have IE to always start with InPrivate Filter active if IE 8.
    (You occasionally have to turn it temporarily off with the little Icon on LEFT of the + bottom right of IE)

Avast - Home - Free - stop any shields you do not need except leave Standard, Web, and Network running.
    (Double Click Blue icon - details next to OK. - upper left Shields - Terminate those you do not use.)
    http://www.avast.com/eng/avast_4_home.html

Or use Microsoft Security Essentials - Free
    http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

Prevx works well along side Avast or MSE

Prevx - Home - Free small, fast, exceptional CLOUD protection, works with other security programs. This is
    a scanner only, VERY EFFECTIVE, if it finds something come back here or use Google to see how to remove. 
    http://www.prevx.com/   <-- information
    http://info.prevx.com/downloadcsi.asp  <-- download

PCmag - Prevx - Editor'a Choice
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2346862,00.asp

Also get Malwarebytes - free - use as scanner only. If you ever suspect malware, and that would be unsual with
    Avast and Prevx running except for an occasional low level cookie (no big deal), UPDATE it and then run it as
    a scanner. I have many scanners and they never find anything of note since I started using this setup.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Hope this helps ahd Happy Holidays!

Rob - Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.
    • Proposed as answer by VicHmc Thursday, April 29, 2010 9:36 PM
    Monday, December 28, 2009 2:43 PM
  • hi 

With Norton, on most computers, it takes up a large portion of your hardware to run in the background. AVG Free is much less hardware intensive, auto updates, gives you an email scanner compatible with Outook Express and Outlook AND gives you real-time protection: Meaning it will intercept known viruses the second they try to come onto your computer.

try this website

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Remove-Site-Adware---Delete-Siteadware-Quickly-and-Easily&id=3412613

Thursday, April 1, 2010 2:55 AM
  • Spyware Doctor is the best spyware software. Spyware Doctor has the most advanced update feature that continually improves its Anti Spyware capabilities. Kaspersky is best antivirus software. It protects your computer against known and unknown threats and against unwanted data.
    Monday, April 5, 2010 7:14 AM
  • Hello There!

I would recommend Microsoft Security Essentials together with the free version of Malwarebytes OR SpyBot.

Having 2 antiviruses on the same system is supported by MSE but not recommended nor supported by Microsoft.

Regards,

Victor

• Proposed as answer by VicHmc Tuesday, April 6, 2010 6:00 PM
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 6:00 PM
  • Microsoft Security essentials is great, it's easy to use and it's free. I'd recommend it to anyone using Windows.

Saturday, April 17, 2010 8:23 PM
  • Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2010 is among the best anti-virus software packages on the market today. It's highly effective, has a great interface, and it's easy on computer resources. Kaspersky Anti-Virus protects your computer from all angles, guarding against viruses, trojans, worms, spyware, and rootkits. The impressive arsenal also keeps your computer safe from exploits, keyloggers, dialers, adware, malicious scripts, and more. Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2010 offers full web protection; the Kaspersky URL Advisor gives you a whole new level of protection online.

http://antivirus.iyogi.net/reviews/best-antivirus.html

Thursday, June 10, 2010 7:06 AM
  • I'm so glad to hear someone finaly suggest the proper way to change or remove norton. because that is what is on my desktop and is about to expire. however i have been told by many people that its not good to have 2 anti virul prog running at once but the trick to downloading a differant one and remove the old without your pc being at risk is the big question. do you have a sugestion on how you would recomend doing so.Please help. I run win7 on the computer in need. I would like to say i have microsoft security essentials on my lap top that has winvista and i love it. had no problems so far.
    Monday, June 28, 2010 6:58 AM
  • I would feel terribly foolish to PAY anything for one of the commercial AV programs. If you try windows Security Essentials you'll find that it is a free service which automatically updates usually at least a couple of times every day and has come to be VERY highly rated. Why even bother with anything else? I've found that WSE works very well and even a Quick scan, which takes only a few minutes at the option of the user, does a scan of, on my system, about 120,000 files. It clearly notifies you if any problems are found and I find that is a very logical and preferred program.
    Monday, June 28, 2010 5:35 PM
  • Hi,

Here is an update to what I use and recommend :

Avast and Prevx have proven extremely reliable and compatible with everything I have thrown
    at them. Microsoft Security Essentials and Prevx have also proven to be very reliable and
    compatible. Use MSE and Prevx or Avast and Prevx however not all 3.

Avast Home Free - stop any shields you do not need except leave Standard, Web, and Network
    running.

Prevx - Home - Free

Windows Firewall

Windows Defender (not needed if using MSE)

IE - Protected Mode

IE 8 - SmartScreen Filter ON  (IE 7 Phishing Filter)

I also have IE to always start with InPrivate Filter active if IE 8.
    (You occasionally have to turn it temporarily off with the little Icon on LEFT of the + bottom right
    of IE)

Two versions of Avast are available 5.x and 4.8x

Avast 5.x - Home - Free - Stop the Shields you do not use (except File, Web, Network, & Behavior)
    - double click the Orange Icon in Notification Area - Real Time Shields - click the Shield you want
    to stop - STOP. To stop the Orange Icon from showing an error indicator - click the Orange Icon -
    Upper Right - Settings - click Status Bar - uncheck the Shields you disabled - click OK
    http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

Avast 4.8x - Home - Free - stop any shields you do not need except leave Standard, Web, and
    Network running. (Double Click Blue icon - details next to OK. - upper left Shields - Terminate
    those you do not use.)
    http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download#tab4

Or use Microsoft Security Essentials - Free
    http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

Prevx works well along side Avast or MSE

Prevx - Home - Free small, fast, exceptional CLOUD protection, works with other security programs.
    This is a scanner only, VERY EFFECTIVE, if it finds something come back here or use Google to see
    how to remove. 
    http://www.prevx.com/   <-- information
    http://info.prevx.com/downloadcsi.asp  <-- download

PCmag - Prevx - Editor'a Choice
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2346862,00.asp

Also get Malwarebytes - free - use as scanner only. If you ever suspect malware, and that would be
    unsual with Avast and Prevx running except for an occasional low level cookie (no big deal), UPDATE
    it and then run it as a scanner. I have many scanners and they never find anything of note since I
    started using this setup.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Hope this helps.

Rob Brown - MS MVP - Windows Desktop Experience : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.
    Monday, June 28, 2010 7:47 PM
  • When my free Norton ran out (came with ASUS motherboard) I downloaded Windows Defender (free @ microsoft downloads) and made sure I hadn't picked something up. Then I downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials (also free-same place).                                                           All AV and Spyware programs get their updates from microsoft (Windows is their product); spyware,viruses, etc.  It automatic updates with Windows Updates every day; so why not eliminate the middle-man? It works better, faster (will alert you, find ALL parts of it, and remove up to three Trojans in about a minute and a half), and it's less than 1/2 MB of HD.                                                                                The best and simplest to use, and, it does it all: AV and Spyware/Malware. Been putting it on all my computers (6 right now); and all Windows based that I sell (I build custom; and repair computers in spare time); for almost two years now; never had or heard of a problem.. It's the cheapest, and in my opinion the best AV/AS/AM solution I've found in the last ten years!

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 6:17 AM
  • There are lots of antivirus products which can remove different virus infections from PC but there are very less which can delete virus as well as spywares.Trend Micro is good security program. It helped mea lot.

Never the less now rogue antivirus programs are more prone to get install. So get rid of these programs so that they can't harm PC data.

Get more info about rogue antivirus and spyware from here: http://your-computer-my.blogspot.com/2010/06/removing-anti-virus-armor-rogue-anti.html

Thanks

Joseph

Monday, July 12, 2010 9:25 AM
  • You can easily find several antivirus products in the market.

Windows defender is a good option, install it and scan your PC.

For more information click here.

Friday, August 13, 2010 10:03 AM
  • Virus attacks continue to grow in complexity and so do antivirus software suites. The good news is that in the antivirus software arena, there are quite a lot of options to choose from and then out of the ones available today, most are capable of detecting and stopping known viruses before they make their way to connected computers.

Now, with that in mind, a good free antivirus program would be either AVG or Avira/ MS Security Essentials. You should also boost your computer's security defense by installing antispyware programs and third-party software firewall, such as ZoneAlarm Personal firewall. Need more information, visit these antivirus tech support experts for proactive steps to securing your computer system.

Cheers,
    Able

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 6:16 AM
  • HI Newton,

Why do you go for free anti virus  ?? because you can't get the full protection with free anti virus. Here is the link where you can decide which one is best or good .

http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/v2/

Thank You Tapan Pattanaik
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 6:39 AM
  • DONT have more than 1 Anti-Virus program!!

Because then if they scan they scan 2 files together!

Saturday, April 16, 2011 3:01 PM
  • I got an 100% free anti-virus program. The link is : http://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/free-internet-security.php

Saturday, April 16, 2011 3:05 PM
  • I would say the full version is better tan the free one
    Saturday, April 16, 2011 3:10 PM
  • DONT have more than 1 anti-virus software!

Because if they scan they scan 2 files together!

Saturday, April 16, 2011 3:20 PM
  •  

Where is your Q??
    Saturday, April 16, 2011 3:21 PM
  • DONT have more than1 anti-virus software!

Saturday, April 16, 2011 3:23 PM
  • DONT have more than1 anti-virus software!

Saturday, April 16, 2011 3:27 PM
  • Did you ever tried to use Comodo Internet Security?

For more info visit: http://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/free-internet-security.php

And DONT have more than1 anti-virus software!     Because if they scan they scan 2 files together!

Saturday, April 16, 2011 3:31 PM

• Where is your Q??
    Saturday, April 16, 2011 3:32 PM
  • I would rate AVG as the best.

But did you ever tried Comodo Internet Security?

For more info visit: http://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/free-internet-security.php

And DONT have more than1 anti-virus software! Because if they scan they scan 2 files together!

Saturday, April 16, 2011 3:34 PM
  • Did you ever tried Comodo Internet Security?

And DONT have more than1 anti-virus software! Because if they scan they scan 2 files together!

Hope it works

Good luck!

Saturday, April 16, 2011 3:40 PM
  • Do you ever hear about Comodo Internet Security?

Saturday, April 16, 2011 3:43 PM
  • StopZilla is the best antivirus and antispyware solution

http://www.techvts.com/download-stopzilla

And Malware Bytes is one of the best malware, spyware, adware removers

http://www.techvts.com/download-malwarebytes-anti-malware

Sunday, April 17, 2011 5:37 AM
  • Microsoft Security Essential and Malwarebytes Antimalware are one of the best Antivirus Software.

Good luck

Thursday, May 19, 2011 7:45 AM
  • In Tech2, I totally agree with you. I've been using AVG for many many years, and it has never let me down. I've changed my os several times, but i've used avg on all of them. And I've also recently discovered www.avgthreatlabs.com where you can "plug in" any website to check its safety.
    Friday, June 3, 2011 2:00 PM
  • hi ,

i am trailing for 30 days the norton 360 seems v thorough, but memory/processor heavy, also £60 a year for 3 pcs,

however a buddy of mine who works for microsoft really likes avg free, so thats enough for me, and its free,

the vote then, avg free,

:-)

Friday, June 10, 2011 9:00 AM