none
Renewed Plea for Sort by Most Recent Action

General discussion

• A while back, I requested to change the main sort criterion from "Most Recent Post" to "Most Recent Action". This would include editing, marking, voting and all the other wonderful (and not so wonderful) features we have the forums.

People did not like this idea, saying they would be annoyed if a thread were at the top of the list, but there were no recent posts. I wouldn't, but I can accept that.

So why not just make "Most Recent Action" another sort criterion, though not the default?

I would find this feature most useful in My Threads. In the past, I thought mainly in terms of marking as answer. If I see that my point score has suddenly increased, I would like to see which of my posts had been marked as answer. There is no easy way to do this if the poster has not bothered to add a "thank you" post at the time he marked the answer. [Yes, I guess signing up for alerts would take care of this, but I really do not want to do that.]

But the problem also arises with editing:

There is a poster in Visual C++ General who has the unfortunate habit of first selecting an inappropriate subject, then dumping some large amount of code from a book, and saying that he does not understand it. He does not specify in any clear way what it is he does not understand. This would be bad enough, but when asked for clarification, he goes back and edits the original post. If I look in My Threads (or anywhere else) there is no indication that anything has changed, and so I do not look at the thread again.

[Of course I am totally opposed to editing after someone else has responded, but that is another issue...]

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Friday, October 31, 2008 12:46 PM

All replies

• Not objecting to this as an additional option, but maybe what IS an action could also be a sub-option.

There are various things I do that are no doubt actions but which you might well not be interested in having at the top of your list.

Here's the couple I can think of right now.

1. Changing the thread type from Discussion to Question.

- in order to make marking as answer possible, which is a good reason but doesn't make you want to see it again

2. Changing the thread's subject from something that didn't describe what the problem was to one that does.

- typically by extending a far too generic subject ("Workflow" in a forum dedicated to workflow is an extreme example) using words from the text if possible so that people can just see the subject and know immediately if it's anything for them.

Again a good reason but as nothing else has changed than the subject, this change might well not interest you.

-----------------

As I've said before what I want is a third option (underline or italics) showing which thread I have already looked at (not bold) has had additional content since I last looked at it. At the moment there is only "having looked at at all (=bold). That would be for me at least more efficient than any sort reform and might help you a lot too with what you want this new sort option to give you.

Friday, October 31, 2008 2:17 PM
  • Mike Walsh MVP said:

Not objecting to this as an additional option, but maybe what IS an action could also be a sub-option.

There are various things I do that are no doubt actions but which you might well not be interested in having at the top of your list.

Here's the couple I can think of right now.

1. Changing the thread type from Discussion to Question.

- in order to make marking as answer possible, which is a good reason but doesn't make you want to see it again

2. Changing the thread's subject from something that didn't describe what the problem was to one that does.

- typically by extending a far too generic subject ("Workflow" in a forum dedicated to workflow is an extreme example) using words from the text if possible so that people can just see the subject and know immediately if it's anything for them.

Mike:

Actually, i would like to know about all these things.

It would also be very helpful, if in addition to "Last reply by" in the header of each post, there was "Last action by".

Personally, I am opposed to many of the actions available in the forums (after-the-fact Edit, and self Propose as answer most particularly), but if they are to be allowed, I think they should constitute activity in the thread.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Friday, October 31, 2008 2:35 PM