none
What happens to stored data when primary disc is replaced? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm sorry if this has been asked, but I've just spent a great deal of time going through the related topics reading about replacing the primary disc but can't seem to find an answer to my question.

Basically I did a daft thing. I used a small 80gb drive as my primary drive, and then used large capacity drives as my other drives totaling 5.58 TB space.

I would now like to swap the 80 GB drive with another large capacity one, the problem is some of the files are stored in the 80GB primary drive. (in the 60GB data partition).

So how would I go about replacing the primary disk.

Would I:

Unplug all current drives.
    Install the new large capacity drive.
    Do a clean install of WHS.
    Plug the data drives back in.
    Perform a reinstall of WHS so the tombstones are rebuilt?

Or would I:

Unplug all current drives.
    Install the new large capacity drive.
    Do a clean install of WHS.
    Plug the data drives back in but don't add back to the pool.
    Copy the data from the data drives to the space in the pool.
    Once the first drive is empty, add it to the poole and repeat until all drives information.

Also one last question, is there a way to install the OS on one drive and just have all the data on seperate drives instead of partitioning the primary drive which seems like a bit of a headache if the primary drive is replaced?

Sorry for the rant and thanks for your help.

Kindest regards

Chris

Thursday, November 5, 2009 1:57 PM

Answers

• There's no real need to change your system drive if your server is performing properly.

If you decide to do so anyway, you will lose data if:
    • Files in shares not marked for duplication are physically stored on the system drive and the system drive has failed. In this case you lose the files that were on the system drive.
    • Components of the backup database are stored on the system drive. In this case you lose your backup database and have to start backups over from scratch.
    If the system drive hasn't failed, you can copy any unduplicated files back into your shares afterward by connecting the old system drive to another computer (never connect an old Windows Home Server system drive to a functioning windows Home server computer) and copying from <drive>:\DS\Shares\etc. back to the shares on your server.

There is also no supported way to install Windows Home Server with the SYSTEM partition on one drive, and the primary DATA partition on another.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 5:39 PM

All replies

• There's no real need to change your system drive if your server is performing properly.

If you decide to do so anyway, you will lose data if:
    • Files in shares not marked for duplication are physically stored on the system drive and the system drive has failed. In this case you lose the files that were on the system drive.
    • Components of the backup database are stored on the system drive. In this case you lose your backup database and have to start backups over from scratch.
    If the system drive hasn't failed, you can copy any unduplicated files back into your shares afterward by connecting the old system drive to another computer (never connect an old Windows Home Server system drive to a functioning windows Home server computer) and copying from <drive>:\DS\Shares\etc. back to the shares on your server.

There is also no supported way to install Windows Home Server with the SYSTEM partition on one drive, and the primary DATA partition on another.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 5:39 PM
  • ... copying from <drive>:\DS\Shares\etc. back to the shares on your server.

minor typo, this should read <drive>:\DE\shares.
    In detail this is also outlined in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 7:31 PM
  • Excellent, you've answered my questions perfectly.

Thanks for your help.
    Friday, November 6, 2009 8:42 AM