none
Resolving Resource Assembly

Question

• Hi,

First off i am completly new to c#, I have been trying to resolve this issue for two days now. I have downloaded monodevelop. On an ubuntu desktop aswell as a windows 8 desktop. (I tried visual studio, but i think the interface is too bare bones for starting out) The error im running into is ..

Error CS0012: The type `System.ComponentModel.ISupportInitialize' is defined in an assembly that is not referenced. Consider adding a reference to assembly `System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'

(This error appears whenever i try to create an object of the Form class)

Coming from c, c++, java, python, php,... I have never had this much trouble setting up a development environment. I realize I could be missing some underlying instillation aspect i have overlooked but.... anyway the .ddl file does not exist on my computer and i cant find a way to update/obtain it.

I prefer coding in ubuntu, but if you can help me get windows 8 up and running that would be apprciated

Oh and i also downloaded unity it runs fine however, I was looking to learn c# not modify a pretty awesome user interface.

• Edited by Jozsef M Saturday, April 09, 2016 10:38 PM
    • Moved by Andy ONeill Sunday, April 10, 2016 10:16 AM monodevelop question
    Saturday, April 09, 2016 10:35 PM

Answers

All replies

• Since this is a forum for WPF I doubt that you will get much help here.  Using monodevelop I would suggest that you try to get help from them.

This is a real guess but if in Visual Studio you get an error like you describe, the action would be to go to the References item in your solution.  From there you might have to navigate to where the dot.net DLL's exist and add the suggested reference.

Lloyd Sheen

Saturday, April 09, 2016 11:30 PM
  • Thanks I am completely lost didn't know what .dll's were before two days ago. This is the first time I have ever resorted to posting, checking out monodevelop support is a good suggestion.

thanks

Saturday, April 09, 2016 11:45 PM
  • Mono forms are similar to windows forms.

Or at least similar enough for this stuff.

A Lloyd says. You need a reference to the dll containing the namespace you want to use - you add that to the project it will be used in ( rather than solution ).

In your form there'll be a bunch of using statements up the top of it before the namespace

Like the usings you see in the picture here:

http://www.monodevelop.com/

You add a using for your namespace there.

With visual studio it will try and resolve those for you and suggest from a list what using needs to be added.

Hope that helps.

Technet articles: WPF: Layout Lab; All my Technet Articles

Sunday, April 10, 2016 10:15 AM
  • Looks like monodevelop help is here.

http://www.monodevelop.com/help/

or MSDN C# and windows forms forums are over here.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=csharpgeneral%2Cwinforms&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Sunday, April 10, 2016 1:15 PM