WHS product key not working after clean install. RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased the OEM version of WHS about one year ago. Working find until this week connector software problems.I tried to do a clean install, but couldn't get computer to boot from the CD-ROM drive with original WHS disk.I had an ISO evaluation copy of WHS. This booted right up and installed no problem. Now my original PRODUCT KEY is not working. I went to Microsoft connect .com to get a product key , but that product key is also not working.I think that product key must be for the Vail version. I would hate to give up on WHS because of the product key that I paid for. Thank You for any help.

I

Friday, September 3, 2010 4:13 PM

All replies

• The evaluation product can't be activated with an OEM/system builder product key, and if it could, it would still expire after 120 days. This expiration is built into the base operating system and can't be defeated.

If your current disk is unreadable (try another DVD-ROM drive, and note that it is a DVD-ROM, not a CD-ROM), you can try downloading the "X-files" .isos. "X-Files" is effectively a copy of the OEM/system builder media with a bunch of additional drivers injected. Your product key will probably work with that.

The final hurdle you'll face is that you will have to reactivate by phone. Your product key has been used once, and per the EULA, it's tied to that installation. Microsoft product activation has been very understanding about reinstalling, however, so you'll probably be okay.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, September 3, 2010 5:02 PM