none
2 Laptops, 1 Repository RRS feed

• Question

• I need to know if this scenario is possible.  My normal situation has been that I use SyncToy 2.0 to sync my data between my laptop and a network share.  I was also using a desktop system in the office with the network share mapped, so when I worked on a file, the normal sync run from the laptop kept everything in order.  I will now be using 2, possibly 3 different laptops, with the data localized on each.  Since I need to be able to jump into a different project at any moment for support, I will need the data stored on the network share synchronized on all laptops.  Since SyncToy creates .dat files on both sides of a folder pair, and the syncs are running from the laptops, if I sync laptop 1 with the network, will syncing laptops 2 & 3 screw up the .dat files causing my sync to stop working, or worse, work incorrectly?  The laptops will all be running Windows 7 Pro, although the third one will be 32-bit while the main and second laptops are 64-bit.

Friday, June 3, 2011 9:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

For each folder pair that the current folder is part of, sync toy creates a dat file with unique ID attached to its name. So If I understand your scenario correctly, you have a network share folder this is part of folder pairs on three laptops. This folder is synchronized, on three laptops on a particuler folder on laptops. In this case, there supposed to be three dat files created on network share. If you sync laptop 1, it should doest change .dat files which are corresponding to laptop #2 and #3.

Thanks,
    Ramesh V

Saturday, June 11, 2011 6:13 PM