OneCare Update Shuts Down IE7 Internet Access RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

Last night OneCare updated itself (running on XP SP2).  This morning Outlook can access the Internet.  But IE7 is blocked.  Even though in the Advanced settings it is set to not blocked.  There is also an issue of which version of IE7 is permitted, so I went thru the System subdirectory (both Program Files and Windows) and permitted all versions of IE7.

Any advice is welcome.  Comment:  OneCare is breaking my family's Internet access about once every two months, for a variety of reasons.  I kind of like OneCare and dislike it at the same time.

Thanks,

John

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 5:59 PM

Answers

• Windows Live OneCare should have no impact on IE - any version - in getting Internet access as it is a recognized and allowed application unless you have set the firewall to always prompt for any program to gain access. Since you have placed it in the allow list, it should be allowed.

Is there any other security software present on the PC? Parental controls? Another firewall? Antispyware? Ad-blocker? Do you have any toolbars active in OneCare like the Google toolbar or similar?

Are you using a customized HOSTS file?

If only IE is impacted, I doubt that your disk partition is Dynamic, but if it is, (Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Storage) that could be the cause.

You may want to contact support to have this investigated.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve
    Wednesday, February 13, 2008 7:38 PM

All replies

• Windows Live OneCare should have no impact on IE - any version - in getting Internet access as it is a recognized and allowed application unless you have set the firewall to always prompt for any program to gain access. Since you have placed it in the allow list, it should be allowed.

Is there any other security software present on the PC? Parental controls? Another firewall? Antispyware? Ad-blocker? Do you have any toolbars active in OneCare like the Google toolbar or similar?

Are you using a customized HOSTS file?

If only IE is impacted, I doubt that your disk partition is Dynamic, but if it is, (Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Storage) that could be the cause.

You may want to contact support to have this investigated.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve
    Wednesday, February 13, 2008 7:38 PM
  • Maybe thye Firewall shouldn't have an impact on IE7 but the update last night changed something.  I was able to move freely in IE7 yesterday but can't now unless I disable the firewall in OneCare.  Outlook works fine as do other internet access programs but not IE7 or for that matter OneCare itself.  I tried to use OneCare help/support earlier today and even it can't access the internet unless the firewall is turned off.  I'm using Vista Ultimate 64bit.
    Thursday, February 14, 2008 5:21 PM
  • The Security Updates or an update to OneCare?

I suggest contacting support.

-steve

Thursday, February 14, 2008 7:00 PM
  • I am having the same problem with a brand new machine running vista. You get online (as messenger launches) but it doesn't allow IE to connect

Thursday, February 14, 2008 11:50 PM
  •  NRB1209745 wrote:

I am having the same problem with a brand new machine running vista. You get online (as messenger launches) but it doesn't allow IE to connect

Are you running OneCare? Did you just encounter the problem after the security updates for Windows and the IE patches installed?

-steve

Friday, February 15, 2008 2:33 AM