Calculating space forever RRS feed

• Question

• I seem to have a problem that has been experienced before.  I have read Server Storage displays "Calculating Sizes" forever but don't understand much of what is discribed there.  I am using Home Server because it is supposed to be for dummies:)

My Home Server 2008 has been running for about three weeks with no issues.  I clearly made an error in loading SiSoftware Sandra to look at my PCs hardware.  After loading that program my server went offline. 

I have two Hitachi 1GB drives with duplicate turned on for everything.  The primary drive C: is offline and is greyed out so I cannot put it online.

All the folders and files are still on the drive.  Running chkdsk on the drive shows no errors.

Is there some method to take the information on drive D: and copy it to C:?  Or is there some other way to recover and remount drive C:?

I looked for the old familiar "Restore Point" in Accessories.  Apparently Home Server doesn't have that.  Not sure why you would delete that from a server OS.

I can just format an restart I suppose.  Seems like the system should be able to recover from this.
    Monday, February 15, 2010 5:50 PM

Answers

• I seem to have a problem that has been experienced before.  I have read Server Storage displays "Calculating Sizes" forever but don't understand much of what is discribed there.  I am using Home Server because it is supposed to be for dummies:)

My Home Server 2008 has been running for about three weeks with no issues.  I clearly made an error in loading SiSoftware Sandra to look at my PCs hardware.  After loading that program my server went offline. 

I have two Hitachi 1GB drives with duplicate turned on for everything.  The primary drive C: is offline and is greyed out so I cannot put it online.

All the folders and files are still on the drive.  Running chkdsk on the drive shows no errors.

Is there some method to take the information on drive D: and copy it to C:?  Or is there some other way to recover and remount drive C:?

I looked for the old familiar "Restore Point" in Accessories.  Apparently Home Server doesn't have that.  Not sure why you would delete that from a server OS.

I can just format an restart I suppose.  Seems like the system should be able to recover from this.
    You should do a Server Reinstallation.  It wipes the OS partition, but leaves the data in tact.  (Also, FYI, logging into the server desktop for any reason - including installing applications - is unsupported.)
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 1:06 AM

All replies

• Sorry don't have a solution but I feel your pain. It's my problem too. Some suggested to check the logs but I can't find the same log files on my server.

Worst case I guess may be doing a server reinstall. But that's assuming that the new install will be able to recognize the old data contents as opposed to repeating the issue...
    Monday, February 15, 2010 11:13 PM

You should do a Server Reinstallation.  It wipes the OS partition, but leaves the data in tact.  (Also, FYI, logging into the server desktop for any reason - including installing applications - is unsupported.)
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 1:06 AM
  • OK.  I didn't know that putting stuff on the server was a no no.

Please tell me exactly how to do a Server reinstallation so I don't mess that up.

Thanks for responding:)  Leave to us dummies to try stuff that clobbers the OS.

Froggie
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 11:47 AM
  • OK.  I didn't know that putting stuff on the server was a no no.

Please tell me exactly how to do a Server reinstallation so I don't mess that up.

Thanks for responding:)  Leave to us dummies to try stuff that clobbers the OS.

Froggie
    If you have an OEM license, boot from the DVD and select Server Reinstallation from the drop-down menu.  If you have a pre-built server (i.e. HP, Acer), you should check the instruction manual for directions (it's probably called "Server Recovery" on those).
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 9:14 PM
  • I selected Server Reinstallation.  The reinstall went to the bitter end then crashed with an error that indicates a file could not be found, "qs.ini".  In looking at the log there are errors throughout the install mostly having to do with not be able to locate this file.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 2:17 AM
  • I selected Server Reinstallation.  The reinstall went to the bitter end then crashed with an error that indicates a file could not be found, "qs.ini".  In looking at the log there are errors throughout the install mostly having to do with not be able to locate this file.
    You might want to try running chkdsk /r on the OS partition again.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 4:14 AM
  • And how shall I do that?  Windows Server is "stuck" in install mode.  When the installed halted it asked me if I wanted to exit but I had to check a reason (OS maintenance? hardware replacement?) to be able to exit.  Now when I reboot I return to the "Finishing install" screen followed by the crash message.  Wonderful and useful loop.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 10:36 AM
  • QS.INI is used to automate an OEM installation.  Please explain what hardware you are installing to and was the DVD supplied? and by whom? 

Also this a forum for Windows Home Server - from your original post "Home Server 2008" does not exist - are we definitely talking about Windows Home Server here?

My hunch is you've created a DVD with slipstreamed drivers and forgotten part of the process - you can get by the error by creating a blank qs.ini file on the root of the install media - are you using DVD or USB to install?

Cheers,
    Al

--
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 11:23 AM
  • Thank you for your responce and helpful information!

I am using an image file, dowloaded from the action pack, to burn a disk.  The file downloaded is named Windows Home Server 2008.

Should I install from  USB?  The original install was from this same DVD.  Should I delete qs.ini on the DVD?

How can I get this reinstall to run?

K
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 4:04 PM
  • It's actually a mistake - there is no Windows Home Server 2008. 

Anyway you should be fine to delete the qs.ini file - I would do this from a copy of the ISO or at least ensure you can get back to the original image if things go wrong.

To get the install to run again you need to get to the BIOS boot menu on your PC.  On some PC's it's ESC or F10 - look at the screen carefully when booting - hitting the pause key may give you more time.  Then when the machine is booting from DVD ensure you press a key to start the installation.

--
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 5:05 PM
  • :(  There is no qs.ini file on my DVD or drive.  In investigating further I find that there are several folders that appear to be locked by the operating system.  I can only guess that during the aborted install that these folders were left in a locked state by the OS.  I think I am just going to give up and do a clean reinstall.  Lessons learned.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 7:34 PM