Shared Folders Access RRS feed

• Question

• How are you supposed to access the shared folders on the server?  And how are you supposed to download info to them?  I have not been able to find a set of instructions on just how to do this.  Please help.
    Monday, May 7, 2007 4:41 AM

Answers

• There are few ways... you can install the connector sw then right click on the icon>shared folders. Other ways, is \\server or \\yourserverip.
    Monday, May 7, 2007 4:50 AM
  • When you open a window to the server \\server you see a list of folders. These are "shares" which allow you to see files on that machine. You can use and copy files between your machine and the server just as you can locally.

The connector s/w is part of the WHS package and needs to be installed on the client PCs. Look in the folder of files you downloaded. You can also find it via \\server\software

When installed, the connector software enables the server to backup your PC, and for you to check the Home Server.

If you've not done so, I'd urge you to read the documentation for details, screen shots etc.

Monday, May 7, 2007 1:57 PM
  • You access the server folders the following way:

If your server was named SERVER during setup then you access it the following way:

In the address field of a window on you standard PC:

\\SERVER and press enter
    This should give you a list of folders: Music, Photos, Software, Users

In the Software folder you will find the Windows Home Server Connector - this one you can install and your standard PC will be connected to the server.

With the WHS-connector you can manage the server, setup backup, add users (the users you add to the server must be named the same and have the same password as on the client.)

Monday, May 7, 2007 1:59 PM
  •  D Hecke wrote:

"What connector sw are you talking about?  I have installed the down loaded sw for the home server, but I see no way to use files on the server.

I did try \\server, got connected, but still don't understand how to download files from my computer to the shared files.

I have almost no knowledge in this area, need specifics, this is a true learning experience for me.

Run the connector install from your client CP by using windows explorer get to the network share \\server\software\Home\Server_Connector_Software\ and run setup.exe this will set up your client PC for backup and create a user account with the same user name and password as your client. If you enable remote access you will have to use a "strong"  password that is the same for the client and server. This will be your user password and not the password you created during the server setup.

Go to http://server in the upper right corner you will have a logon button. you can logon using the username/password for the client. Click on the the shared folders tab and navigate to one the software folder/home server connector software.

Youll notice that the list of files has a checkbox on the left, choose the file files you want and look for the download button above the file list and you can download them to a local or remote PC. If your on a local client you can just use the connector dialog for regular network shares. the website only needs to be used while your away from home.

I hope that answers some of your questions..

Rex Geissinger 

Monday, May 7, 2007 2:37 PM

All replies

• There are few ways... you can install the connector sw then right click on the icon>shared folders. Other ways, is \\server or \\yourserverip.
    Monday, May 7, 2007 4:50 AM
  • "What connector sw are you talking about?  I have installed the down loaded sw for the home server, but I see no way to use files on the server.

I did try \\server, got connected, but still don't understand how to download files from my computer to the shared files.

I have almost no knowledge in this area, need specifics, this is a true learning experience for me.

Monday, May 7, 2007 1:43 PM
  • When you open a window to the server \\server you see a list of folders. These are "shares" which allow you to see files on that machine. You can use and copy files between your machine and the server just as you can locally.

The connector s/w is part of the WHS package and needs to be installed on the client PCs. Look in the folder of files you downloaded. You can also find it via \\server\software

When installed, the connector software enables the server to backup your PC, and for you to check the Home Server.

If you've not done so, I'd urge you to read the documentation for details, screen shots etc.

Monday, May 7, 2007 1:57 PM
  • You access the server folders the following way:

If your server was named SERVER during setup then you access it the following way:

In the address field of a window on you standard PC:

\\SERVER and press enter
    This should give you a list of folders: Music, Photos, Software, Users

In the Software folder you will find the Windows Home Server Connector - this one you can install and your standard PC will be connected to the server.

With the WHS-connector you can manage the server, setup backup, add users (the users you add to the server must be named the same and have the same password as on the client.)

Monday, May 7, 2007 1:59 PM
  •  D Hecke wrote:

"What connector sw are you talking about?  I have installed the down loaded sw for the home server, but I see no way to use files on the server.

Run the connector install from your client CP by using windows explorer get to the network share \\server\software\Home\Server_Connector_Software\ and run setup.exe this will set up your client PC for backup and create a user account with the same user name and password as your client. If you enable remote access you will have to use a "strong"  password that is the same for the client and server. This will be your user password and not the password you created during the server setup.

Go to http://server in the upper right corner you will have a logon button. you can logon using the username/password for the client. Click on the the shared folders tab and navigate to one the software folder/home server connector software.

Youll notice that the list of files has a checkbox on the left, choose the file files you want and look for the download button above the file list and you can download them to a local or remote PC. If your on a local client you can just use the connector dialog for regular network shares. the website only needs to be used while your away from home.

I hope that answers some of your questions..

Rex Geissinger 

Monday, May 7, 2007 2:37 PM
  • Very strange, since I sent this message an odd thing has happened, a shared folder icon has appeared on my desk top and the share folder now shows up in my network places when I click the start button.  None of this was there before my request for help and I have not re-installed any software since then.  Real Strange.  The good news is now I have full access to all the shared folders.

Thanks.

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 4:02 AM
  •  D Hecke wrote:

Very strange, since I sent this message an odd thing has happened, a shared folder icon has appeared on my desk top and the share folder now shows up in my network places when I click the start button.  None of this was there before my request for help and I have not re-installed any software since then.  Real Strange.  The good news is now I have full access to all the shared folders.

Thanks.

Ya want to see a really neat way to view the shares? try this.. Drag that desktop Icon to the task bar in between the tray and the desktop search bar if you have it and you will get instant access to all of the shared folders "AND" their contents from a context like menu that flies open just like the "All Programs" List in the start menu. I havent tried it in vista but it works in XP pro and MCE 2005 Wink

Rex Geissinger

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 4:59 AM