Is there an upgrade path from Vista Home to Vista Ultimate? RRS feed

• Question

• We have a 32 Bit install of Vista Home on an EMachine T-5088.

We have Vista Ultimate Red that we purchased from Digital River (Media Version).

We did a clean install of Vista Ultimate Red as the T-5088's Hard Drive failed.

When we try to Activate, Microsoft replys that it requires an Upgrade vs. a Clean Install.

Is there an Upgrade Path from Vista Home to Vista Ultimate?

I know there is one from XP-Pro to Vista Ultimate.

The Clean install took about 8 hours, down load, reboot, down load reboot, etc.

I would like to know if I should use Vista Home, as that is what came with the T-5088 or try and install XP-Pro to meet the Upgrade Requirement.

From what I have read about XP-Pro on a T-5088, the Driver situation is not pretty.

I'd prefer to reinstall Vista Home then do an Upgrade to Vista Ultimate if this is a valid Upgrade Path.

It just takes so long that to find out after you think your done, it's not Valid really hurts.

Is there a VALID UPGRADE PATH from Vista Home to Vista Ultimate Red?

Best regards,

Mike Lynch

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 6:02 PM

Answers

• Hello Mike Lynch,

You wrote, "We did a clean install of Vista Ultimate Red as the T-5088's Hard Drive failed."

That's where you made your mistake.  Vista and Windows 7 upgrades have to begin from within the operating system that is being upgraded.

Install the original Vista OS, activate and update to the latest Updates, then Upgrade to Vista Ult.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 7:15 PM