Windows One Care Will Not Update Virus and Spyware Protection RRS feed

• Question

• I installed Windows One Care on an Compaq Desktop using the Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. Prior to installing Windows Live One Care I uninstalled Norton Internet Security 2006 which included Norton Anti Virus and Norton Live Update. One Care installed without any issues and initially showed a Green status. The status changed to Red within a week and the action to be taken indicates "Update Virus and Spyware Protection". The virus and spyware definitions are out of date. When I click the "Update" button One Care indicates that it is checking for updates. But the result is that virus or spyware definitions are not being updated and the status remains Red. Using Control Panel I have checked "Install/ Uninstall Programs" and do not see either Norton Internet Security 2006 nor Live Update installed. One Care does shows as being installed. Any suggestions as to what steps to take to corrrect this issue would be appreciated.

Steve

Saturday, February 23, 2008 9:25 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Steve,

Try checking the date and time settings on your computer. See if you have the correct month, year, time and timezone. If everything is correct you may want to try to use the Help Function for OneCare.

Find the Help option on the upper right hand corner of OneCare click on "Windows Live OneCare Help" and click on the link saying "Help with Updating OneCare" it should present you with another option for a "FIX IT" button. Wait for OneCare to Reset Permissions and it should connect back to the internet for you and download the definition files it needs for the virus and spyware protection.

Sunday, February 24, 2008 10:33 AM
  •  

Information to help troubleshoot and resolve update problems -

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1286736&SiteID=2

-steve
    Monday, February 25, 2008 1:34 AM