XP validation RRS feed

• Question

• Have been using XP Pro for a while now. Updates are automatic. Yesterday had validation pop-up which it seems many people here have had. So, have tried
    - installing WGA Plugin
    - installing OGA Plugin
    - running Key Update Tool

All with no success. The computer is not from a specific manufacturer, it's a custom build.

This is what the MGA Diagnostic says:

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0011.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Geographically blocked PID
    Validation Code: 13

Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-2487J-KWKMF-RPWBY
    Windows Product Key Hash: A6tqZpYlrSkfmUWcaNDswSdRpOo=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-8834005-23289
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {97FE7501-A32B-4676-8EC2-2779ADD9D29D}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.40.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 13
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{97FE7501-A32B-4676-8EC2-2779ADD9D29D}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0011.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-RPWBY</PKey><PID>55274-640-8834005-23289</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-839522115-926492609-2147230659</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>System manufacturer</Manufacturer><Model>System Product Name</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>0507   </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="5"/><Date>20080702000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>88033D8701848079</HWID><UserLCID>0C09</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>E. Australia Standard Time(GMT+10:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 125D0:ASUSTeK Computer Inc
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

This is what it says on the COA:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

XP Pro

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

OEM Software

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

No.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009 9:52 AM

Answers

• Hello aloquot,

Right now the computer has a nongenuine Volume Licensing (VL) edition of XP Pro installed.

Your Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) tells us that instead of the VL edition, you should have a systembuiler/OEM/small manufacturer license for XP Pro installed.

See if the Product Key Updater utility can correct the situation:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=45668

Post back to let us know if it worked for you!
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, August 12, 2009 7:00 PM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 2:44 PM

All replies

• Hello aloquot,

Right now the computer has a nongenuine Volume Licensing (VL) edition of XP Pro installed.

Your Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) tells us that instead of the VL edition, you should have a systembuiler/OEM/small manufacturer license for XP Pro installed.

See if the Product Key Updater utility can correct the situation:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=45668

Post back to let us know if it worked for you!
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, August 12, 2009 7:00 PM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 2:44 PM
  • Thanks but no success on that one. This is the message I got after entering the product key from the COA:

"The product key entered is not a valid key for this system. Please check it for typing errors and try again."

Looking at this part of the MGADiag report above, the Product Key is different to what I have on the sticker on my computer.  Is this significant?

Any other ideas?
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 9:09 AM
  • Aliquot,

Assumption:  that you entered the Product Key from your CoA sticker into the Product Key updater utility when is asked for a valid product key.  Note that the letter "B" and the numeral "8" are very easy to get mixed up (ask me how I know!).  If your CoA PK has "B" or "8", try again.

If not, the only alternative when the PK Updater does not work is to backup and offload your data and do a clean installation of Windows using a genuine hologrammed Windows disc or the recovery solution provided by the computer manufacturer, iff applicable.  Since your CoA has "OEM Software" printed on it we know you would use the genuine hologrammed Windows XP Pro CD that should have come with the computer.  This CD has "For use with a new PC only" or similar wording in the upper left quadrant of the CD.

Once this clean installation is done, visit www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on the Validate Windows button to ensure the new installation of XP is genuine.  Then, visit Windows Updates to get all the updates and Service Packs.
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 3:41 PM
  • Thanks Dan. No success on the 8 vs B. The Product Key from the COA and the Product Key (or the part of it shown above) from the MGADiag are completely different.  Is this a problem?

Will try a clean install (sigh) but my CD does not have "For use with a new PC only" in the upper left - only the words "Do not make illegal copies of this disc". The booklet I assume it came in, though, does have those words printed on it, along the spine on the front. Sound normal?
    Friday, August 14, 2009 3:33 AM
  • Hello aliquot,

It sounds like the CD you have is NOT an OEM CD, but sounds more like a retail CD.

Can you post the last section of the setupp.ini file (a small text file) located in the \i386 folder on the CD?
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 8:47 PM
  • ALIQUOT   WELL YOU DID SAY IT...CUSTOM BUILT.. M/S DOENST LIKE THOSE TYPES SO PLEASE PAY THE $195 FOR A NEW PRODUCT KEY!  OR USE  REGEDIT.EXE
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 4:51 AM
  • Thanks Dan. Is this it: Pid=55274270  ?

I don't know if it'll be much help though. Having just had a close look at the counterfeit examples, I strongly suspect my CD and COA are high quality counterfeits. Obviously, a bit hard to tell without a real-life copy to compare mine too, but the pictures and descriptions I saw make me feel this is the case. Any advice?
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 10:18 PM
  • Hello aliquot,

The Pid=value is wrong for an OEM CD.  The Pid=value on your CD indicates that the contents are Volume Licensing bits.

If other characteristics of the materials are suspicious based on what you have and what you are reading at http://www.howtotell.com , then go ahead and submit the materials for evaluation as hi-grade counterfeits.
    Monday, August 17, 2009 2:33 PM
  • Thanks for all your help Dan. Will see what happens...
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 9:35 AM
  • Hello aliquot,

Other posters who have submitted materials for examination have posted back saying that lately it's only been taking 10-14 days to get an answer.

Be sure to post back to let us know how it turned out :-)
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 2:22 PM
  • From what I understand, only computers bought with XP installed are covered. Mine was a custom build twice over - the most recent time I provided the software. So even though the software is probably counterfeit, it doesn't sound like I'm covered by the scheme.
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 3:42 AM
  • Hello aliquot,

The license type you purchased, OEM (well, it was supposed to be OEM but turned out to be a counterfeit) is the license type that would have come preinstalled on a computer.  Hopefully there's a little wiggle room to let you get the replacements.

Here's a snippet from the FAQ:

Requirements and limitations of the genuine Windows offer

A:

The offer is open to any person who purchased Microsoft Windows XP (Professional or Home Edition) or Windows XP Operating System pre-installed on a new computer. Windows XP upgrade purchases and purchases made under volume license agreements are not eligible.

A:

No. Only users of counterfeit Windows XP are eligible for the genuine Windows offer.

A:

Microsoft will not bring legal action against the people who participate in the genuine Windows offer.

A:

Because purchase documentation varies widely, we are flexible. Proof of purchase can be a purchase order, the original supplier invoice, or some other store receipt. The proof of purchase must show the supplier’s name and address, the date of purchase, and a reference to Windows.

A:

The counterfeit report helps Microsoft identify the reseller and type of counterfeit software transaction that took place. The information that is required on the report is:

• Was the copy of Windows preinstalled?
    • Where was it purchased (Web, street vendor, store, etc)?
    • What was the reseller’s name?
    • Did you receive a CD and a Certificate of Authenticity (COA)?
    • How much did you pay?
    • What was the date of purchase?

You must also provide your shipping address so Microsoft can send you a Windows Genuine Advantage Kit for Windows XP CD.

Saturday, August 22, 2009 3:26 PM